Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Re: repeat viewings, 2 is my max and I'm likely gonna keep that way. Even seeing a movie more than 5 times in theaters sounds egregious, espeically when there's always something new out every week. If you're watching something in theaters in the double digits, go read a book, kiss a girl, do...literally anything. It's just absurd. :lol: 

• Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I was 11 when Jurassic Park 3 came out and you weren’t even born. What is the world coming to 

I was 4 and screamed at the top of my lungs "T-REX!!!" in the middle of the theatre when it came on screen. My dad had to quieten me down before I then proceeded to watch it get annihilated by the Spinosaurus. Saddest day of my short life up to then.

Edited by IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

Re: repeat viewings, 2 is my max and I'm likely gonna keep that way. Even seeing a movie more than 5 times in theaters sounds egregious, espeically when there's always something new out every week. If you're watching something in theaters in the double digits, go read a book, kiss a girl, do...literally anything. It's just absurd. :lol: 

You can do that with multiple viewings too. Multiple books, multiple girls, multiple friends. I mean, some movie theater experiences are so special that you want to repeat them. There is nothing egregious on that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

It's genuinely depressing how 30-40 years ago, movies that sparked controversy were stuff that actually had controversial things to say. JFK, Last Temptation of Christ, Kids. Movies that were actually for adults and actually went into provocative, challenging stuff. How infantile must our culture be if movies made for 8 year olds cause culture wars and political divisions? In 1993, a Barbie movie with the message of "women can be whatever they want to be" would cause like zero political drama. What the hell are we doing here?

Some people just want something to mad about even when there isn't (and then reveal how thin-skinned they are when they get made fun of the nonsense that comes out of their mouths). That's basically how organizations like Fox News are run. The Kate McKinnon discussion earlier reminded me of when Laura Ingraham reacted to McKinnon's parody of her on SNL. Future generations of media people and famous figures should study this as to how not to respond to a parody of yourself.

7 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

Unless you’re seeing Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again for a 6th time. Then, and only then, is it acceptable.

Oh and Maverick I guess. If you ask me, it’s an unusual combination of movies to have as my most rewatched in cinemas.

• Like 1

My theatrical record is 6, and several movies hold it. The Grinch (this was entirely accidental since I ended up going with like every family member group from parents to siblings to cousins etc that holiday), Harry Potter 1, Revenge of the Sith (my weekend record, 4 in OW), The Dark Knight and Avatar (both Imax record with 3x), The Avengers. Think that’s all of them, though might have missed a couple from the 00s. Nothing 6x since Avengers, pretty sure. TFA was 5. 

Edited by MovieMan89

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Matched with a girl I thought was cute on a dating site, she asked me what I was doing today. Told her I was going thrifting to find pink clothes for Barbie tomorrow.

She told me that men shouldn’t be wearing pink, and unmatched me.

The hype is REAL.

You dodged a bad match there - 'Barbie' indirectly doing good in the world. :)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

I'm someone where even if it's a movie i loved if I've seen it within the last two years i'm still like "ehhh, i just watched that what else is on"

Except the Jon Favreau Jungle Book movie which i did see twice in cinemas. idk.

I rarely see films more then once in the theater. It's mostly a money thing obviously (movies are expensive) but also I'm the type of guy who likes seeing as many different movies as possible, always something new to enjoy.

Only a handful of example I saw multiple times and it was mostly me seeing it with somebody else who wanted to see it. Civil War, Guardians Vol. 2, Infinity War, The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, Dunkirk, and Endgame are the ones that come to mind of ones I saw twice or more.

35 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I also think that no Weekend thread ever will beat Jurassic World. Has nothing to do with the movies, but back in 2015, we didnt have the tracking thread basically telling us how a movie will perform, we had Rth giving ud update after update, constantly getting higher and higher (and jizzing his and our pants), we had way less strict rules in the threads, so the shit- and memeposting was real and on top of that, the numbers came from a movie where really nobody except @excel1 was predicting an OW-Record challenger.

Frankly, I’m not sure even tracking would have predicted or even hinted at a $200M+ OW, being such an (unknown at the time) walk-up heavy & family friendly franchise. The $18.5M preview was definitely higher than anyone expected, but an 11x in June in 2015? (Godzilla the previous May had a 10x, GOTG an 8.4x prior August).
And even Fallen Kingdom was under-projected 3 years later, again expecting a more tentpole like presale ratio & IM, while Incredibles 2 the week prior (also only a 10x, albeit 5pm instead of 7pm) was more in line of where BOT tracking was pointing (I know cause I was trusting y’all far more than industry projections!)

Interestingly for me, this will be my first massive - not quite sure of the ceiling but sure gonna try to find out - OW experience on the other side of fence, waiting and watching the numbers come in rather than being a part of them. At least tracking sniffed it out early enough that nobody should be caught off guard, but some still will be. I did wish my former colleagues good luck though!

• Like 1

Movies I saw in theater in 2023.

1. Avatar 2 regular 3D

2. Puss in Boost 2

3. M3GAN

4. The Whale

5. Avatar 2 IMAX 3D

6. A Guilty Conscience

7. Avatar 2 4DX-3D

8. Titanic Onyx 3D

9. Titanic IMAX 3D

10. The Fabelmans

11. Titanic regular 3D

12. Missing

13. Antman 3

14. The Banshees of Inisherin

15. Creed 3

16. Shazam 2

17. JW4

18. DnD

19. Air

20. Mario

21. Suzume

22. Evil Dead Rise

23. GOTG3

24. Polis Evo 3

25. Spiderverse: ATSV

26. The Covenants

27. Transformer : ROTB

28. The Flash

29 Elemental

30. No Hard Feelings

31. Elemental (x2)

32. Inception re-release

33. MI7

Big screen is forever the place to see a movie because size always matters.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

25 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So what's Deadline's profitable list looking like now?

1. Mario

2. Barbie

3. Spider-Verse

Barbie is almost certainly going to beat Mario DOM now. But I would imagine the marketing campaign was significantly more expensive since they did so damn much with it. So yeah, maybe still Mario most profitable. 

38 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

But some people just get a kick out of seeing their favourite nostalgic toy commercial multiple times in a theater. I mean theres no better way to experience your favourite nostalgic toy commerical than in a theater, so gotta do it as many times as possible while its still playing.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

I was 13 when Jurassic Park came out. You were 3.  I know how you feel  

I was very strictly not allowed to watch pg-13s as a kid, but was obsessed with dinosaurs and begged and begged my mom to watch it. Then I watched part of it at like 6 at a friends house wo her knowledge and was absolutely terrified and went back to Barney lmao. 

• Haha 1