Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

For some movies it's not a big deal at all provided they sell themselves ala The Marvels or anything part of an established franchise. But I imagine for something like Dune the star appearances are part of the package deal, especially if one of the hooks is seeing Timothee/Zendaya/Butler/Pugh together on the red carpet. Zendaya's other fall movie is now being released well into next year because of that.

I do think Denis promoting Dune on his own is not ideal for the studios, he's no Nolan

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Twisters was in the middle of filming when the strike began so it's definitely not making next July unless the strike ends tomorrow. We might see more of what happened during the worst of COVID where some of Summer '24's tentpoles become Summer '25's as reshuffling occurs.

I don't think all the summer 2024 films will move to 2025, some might but not all. Twisters in November would do decent business, 2012 comes to mind which did very strong business.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

For some movies it's not a big deal at all provided they sell themselves ala The Marvels or anything part of an established franchise. But I imagine for something like Dune the star appearances are part of the package deal, especially if one of the hooks is seeing Timothee/Zendaya/Butler/Pugh together on the red carpet. Zendaya's other fall movie is now being released well into next year because of that.

Even for known franchises, it's definitely a help if something goes viral to remind people of the movie. There's been times when the Star doing press has genuinely helped a movie like Brad Pitt with WWZ and Tom Cruise with Rogue Nation.

The talk show circuit gets a lot of YouTube views, and going viral is a great way to remind people of a movie and promote future movies as well.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Is the actors not being able to do promo really that big a deal if the movie’s already in the can? Clearly studios knows more about it than I do if it’s even being debated.

Yes part of the reason Barbie has exploded so much is because I've been seeing the cast on various tik toks for the last two weeks without the actors to promote it probably doesn't open as big

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just can’t imagine anybody who is going to see Dune needs to see them on a press tour to want to go to the movie. It’s the second half of a two-film epic that people are either already invested in, or they’re not.

If it was the first film, then yeah - I would understand a potential delay. But the first film’s success has already sold the second one in my eyes. Awareness is substantial enough for them to surely not even question releasing it in the fall?? 

Cinemas need movies and we’re on a roll now. The last thing studios should be doing is moving films that are ready. Especially ones that sell themselves. Momentum is everything 

- (2) Mission: Impossible Dead … Paramount Pi… $5,560,000 +61% -67% 4,321 $1,287 $104,813,469 10
- (3) Indiana Jones and the Dia… Walt Disney $1,900,000 +40% -42% 2,885 $659 $154,218,862 22
- (5) Elemental Walt Disney $1,800,000 +55% -30% 2,720 $662 $133,233,827 36
- (7) Transformers: Rise of the… Paramount Pi… $311,000 +13% -68% 834 $373 $154,833,604 43
- (8) The Little Mermaid Walt Disney $200,000 -18% -70% 620 $323 $295,612,596 57
- (-) Theater Camp Searchlight … $113,000 +590% +2% 51 $2,216 $519,487 8
- (-) The Boogeyman 20th Century… $6,000 -41% -87% 125 $48 $43,216,277 50
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, XXR Union Solidarity said:

Nearly 100 pages and we don’t even have firm Friday numbers yet. Nice job everyone 🔥

The movies are back and the forum is back.

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I just can’t imagine anybody who is going to see Dune needs to see them on a press tour to want to go to the movie. It’s the second half of a two-film epic that people are either already invested in, or they’re not.

You have to understand that there are absolutely people out there that saw the first but had no idea there was another one coming.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dephira said:

Mission Impossible deserved way higher numbers too 

True. Though there’s always the chance that the next one will do much better. Part 2 just needs a better release date without any competition hurting it. And it needs to be marketed as the “final one”.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

If it was the first film, then yeah - I would understand a potential delay. But the first film’s success has already sold the second one in my eyes. Awareness is substantial enough for them to surely not even question releasing it in the fall?? 

Cinemas need movies and we’re on a roll now. The last thing studios should be doing is moving films that are ready. Especially ones that sell themselves. Momentum is everything 

Studios are thinking more about the long term than anything else. The fact the studios are already delaying movies from this fall (including rumors about movies on the move) indicates that 1) they don't expect the strike to be resolved in the near future (their fault and no one else's but I digress) and 2) there's about to be a few holes in the schedule next year that will need to be filled due to a lot of movies being held up by the strike right now (and unlikely to make their dates because of it). It's all about finding that middle ground where everyone wins.

Besides, Dune is in a tough spot right now since it's set to lose all IMAX/PLF screens in Weekend 2. If they can find another, better spot where it can thrive, it wouldn't be the worst thing for it.