Eric Onion

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Paramount is in trouble. They’ve worked to kill off the Mission Impossible franchise and Transformers doesn’t make enough to cover their budgets. What do they have  now?

Tbf, Paramount has been “in trouble” for forever, yet here they still are. They can especially keep scrapping by if they have a TGM every blue moon. 

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Theater report? Has Barbie opened there as well?

Yes it has, but Oppenheimer was a 3:10 pm showing and the cinema was also a smaller one. Despite that, the Oppenheimer showing was well-attended, probably 60% of seats occupied. Overheard quite a lot of (young) people mentioning Barbie and Barbenheimer as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

With this weekend that’s officially true. Prior to this, I think it was neck and neck with 2014 as the worst this century. 

Which ive always found to be a shame since summer of 2014 had quite a lot of really great movies. Godzilla, X-Men: DOFP, Edge of Tomorrow, HTTYD 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ... it seemed like they just had a lower ceiling than other blockbusters in that area. Not to mention movie-specific reasons like Godzillas WOM or Edge of Tomorrows bad marketing (srsly that one deserved a lot more!)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Tbf, Paramount has been “in trouble” for forever, yet here they still are. They can especially keep scrapping by if they have a TGM every blue moon. 

Paramount is interesting. They seem vulnerable enough to be a candidate for acquisition by someone bigger than them. But they have CBS, which would seem to complicate any merger. CBS is still one of the most important TV networks out there. Disney/ABC or NBC/Universal would not be allowed to take over Paramount/CBS. 

I suppose Warner might be able to do it, since they don't currently own a major broadcast channel. They only have cable channels like Discovery, HGTV, TNT, and TBS. Interesting thing is TNT & TBS already work with CBS on March Madness college basketball. Not gonna lie, a merger of Paramount & Warner film libraries into a single streaming service would be pretty damn epic. Both of them have amazing history going back 100 years. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's massive hyperbole to say they've killed off Mission Impossible when the next film is half completed. 

They've done okay this year. D&D didn't do great but they didn't lose much because Hasbro mostly funded it and Scream VI was profitable and they've still got more films to come.

9 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Which ive always found to be a shame since summer of 2014 had quite a lot of really great movies. Godzilla, X-Men: DOFP, Edge of Tomorrow, HTTYD 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ... it seemed like they just had a lower ceiling than other blockbusters in that area. Not to mention movie-specific reasons like Godzillas WOM or Edge of Tomorrows bad marketing (srsly that one deserved a lot more!)

That was the summer of 90 million openers.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's massive hyperbole to say they've killed off Mission Impossible when the next film is half completed. 

They've done okay this year. D&D didn't do great but they didn't lose much because Hasbro mostly funded it and Scream VI was profitable and they've still got more films to come.

I know the people around here acting like Part 2 is gonna get shelved or Jossitice Leagued is just dumb. They handled this one badly.They will not make the same mistake again. 

• Like 1

Just now, emoviefan said:

I know the people around here acting like Part 2 is gonna get shelved or Jossitice Leagued is just dumb. They handled this one badly.They will not make the same mistake again. 

This. They forgot this has an A CinemaScore

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

To use a very old examples License to Kill and Star Trek V which got lost in a summer with Ghostbusters II and Batman, the following films recovered nicely,

• Like 1

Plus, I feel like Mission Impossible’s drop, if it falls in the range of 54% that was reported today, is pretty damn decent? It faced a huge drain of screens and an absolutely behemoth of a cultural event in Barbenheimer. Definitely not a dead franchise 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

To use a very old examples License to Kill and Star Trek V which got lost in a summer with Ghostbusters II and Batman, the following films recovered nicely,

Plus Mission certainly recovered after 3 did not set the world on fire at the box office. 

1 minute ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Plus, I feel like Mission Impossible’s drop, if it falls in the range of 54% that was reported today, is pretty damn decent? It faced a huge drain of screens and an absolutely behemoth of a cultural event in Barbenheimer. Definitely not a dead franchise 

Problem is, it isn't dropping just 54%, it is looking at 64%. It is brutal, cruel and unjust. And to remind you that $54.7m OW was without preview (although some $2m of EA is included), so no one can claim the OW was inflated by preview. 

5 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

That was just a random guess on Friday afternoon. It's tracking for around $20-21M on the weekend, which is a 62-63% drop. Still not too bad considering. I do wonder about next weekend. There are some theaters that actually had MI7 on more screens than Oppenheimer, probably from contractual obligations. Those type of screens will be dropping next weekend and shifting to Barbie/Oppie. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Problem is, it isn't dropping just 54%, it is looking at 64%. It is brutal, cruel and unjust. And to remind you that $54.7m OW was without preview (although some $2m of EA is included), so no one can claim the OW was inflated by preview. 

As i have said I hope Brian Robbins  ears are bleeding right now from the yelling he has had to listen too. 

MI7 issue was not this weekend. I thought opening week it was just meh. Considering it had a short PLF run, one would think it would have pushed the demand more. Even previews despite opening on a discount tuesday was meh. It sold fewer tickets than Oppenheimer without discount tuesday. And ticket sales are inflated normally on a tuesday. Its "opening day" gross without previews did not even hit double digits in the heart of summer. 

Almost make me think that folks are jaded around the franchise. Its good popcorn entertainment but can wait until it hits digital and watch on their big amazing tvs(83" OLED is stunning).

58 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Imagine Basic Instinct releasing today.

The ease of getting the hardcore stuff online has diminished sex/nudity as a theatrical selling point. At least for male audiences: women still turned out for the 50 Shades movies and the After series to some extent, but those were based on Twilight fanfiction books, so they had fans attached to the "story".

TV shows can have edgier content now, there's the internet and streaming: theatrical Hollywood movies can't compete. Plus, studios want movies they can release everywhere, so that's another reason Hollywood has censored itself more in recent years.

5 minutes ago, MrHardapple said:

So any predictions for the total gross of SoF?

$150 million is a lock now, how much further can it go?

$175-200 million

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1