Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

4 hours ago, KC7 said:

Another sloppy work displayed by exhibitors after the incident of 70mm projector malfunction. And they are still want to win the war against streaming.

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Barbie 155m

Oppy 85m

MI7 20m

Everything Else 45m

305m weekend.

Unless Barbie has some spillover effect from Sat, which tend to happen for a mega-opener, there is high chance this weekend fall below $300m after all. It is hard for Oppy to go $85m because that would mean a flat Sunday from Sat. Probably need SOF to roll in even more PiF this weekend.

7 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Barbie is a much needed win for WB. Imagine predicting a year ago that Barbie would outgross Flash final DOM after just 2 days. 

insane. Imagining it would likely have a 5x multiple of Flash’s domestic - mind blowing. 

5 hours ago, Kon said:

I know you are joking, but we could wait for the drop in the second weekend.

Even if it drops like a normal blockbuster - which I sincerely doubt it will - it’s fine. Barbie and Oppenheimer already made history this weekend. And frontloadness is something I suspect we might see happening more and more with blockbusters. There is a sense of immediacy with how we consume media that contributes a lot to that. I do think that Barbie’s box office legs will be mighty, but let’s not forget that this was a film very few people believed it could perform like it’s doing this weekend on this message board, let alone anywhere else/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LegionWrex said:

The word around town is that Spielberg won't work with him cause Cruise tried to spread Scientology on the set of War of the Worlds and it soured his opinion of him.

If that’s true, good on Spielberg, if I couldn’t admire the man enough already.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

That Saturday number for Barbie can’t be right it’s off 3 million when jatinder and empire are saying it was near flat today so somebody messed up at deadline probably 

deadline was giving at some point friday at 68 and then was 70.5 so yes there still a possibility saturday it's at around 48. 

15 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

If that’s true, good on Spielberg, if I couldn’t admire the man enough already.

Maga told me Spielberg eats the blood of babies with Hillary Clinton.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LonePirate said:

I don't think the biggest lesson learned from this weekend will be that studios can release two wildly different high profile films on the same weekend and still do gangbusters business for both. Rather, the lesson will be theater chains scrambling to convert more of their screens to PLFs. I wouldn't be surprised if some execs at AMC start looking at plans for a new 12 screen complex they are building and try to determine how much extra it will cost to make it a 6 screen IMAX and 6 screen Dolby complex.

This!!

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Maga told me Spielberg eats the blood of babies with Hillary Clinton.

Oh well, MAGA also believes that the Earth is flat so I’m not wasting my brain cells bandwidth with what the senile grandpas and incels think.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Even if it drops like a normal blockbuster - which I sincerely doubt it will - it’s fine. Barbie and Oppenheimer already made history this weekend. And frontloadness is something I suspect we might see happening more and more with blockbusters. There is a sense of immediacy with how we consume media that contributes a lot to that. I do think that Barbie’s box office legs will be mighty, but let’s not forget that this was a film very few people believed it could perform like it’s doing this weekend on this message board, let alone anywhere else/

If a year ago you told me that Barbie grossed 160 DOM and Oppenheimer 80 DOM in *total* I'd have thought they've both done ok.

Instead they're doing that on OW.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Barbie is much more pure entertainment with great comedy than a social manifesto so that’s good for its boxoffice perspectives.

90% were women at my afternoon show.

On the other hand lots of non film people in my Twitter are talking about Oppenheimer. Not always positively, but still talking. It’s slowly reaching a critical mass where you have to see it to keep abreast of the discourse, which is a goldmine for movies.

Edited by Hatebox

Just now, Celedhring said:

If a year ago you told me that Barbie grossed 160 DOM and Oppenheimer 80 DOM in *total* I'd have thought they've both done ok.

I always believed in Barbie, it has obviously surpassed my expectations, but I always have gone on record here of saying it had clear and obvious potential to break out. If anything, what surprised me negatively this year is Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, but everything else has behaved pretty much like I’ve expected, including Super Mario Bros. And the positive surprise is how Oppenheimer benefitted for getting released next to Barbie, more than that Barbie has become a blockbuster.

• Like 1