Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Cool list. And it’s awesome that Barbie managed to get the 3rd biggest OW of all movies released in July. Haven’t seen Barbie yet (will see it when I get the chance) but I do love all the other movies in this “Top 5 July Openings of all time”-list.

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Sorry, Barbie increased 19M WW with actuals???? That's... unheard of, right?

It's performing extremely well, but WB lowballed it by quite a bit on purpose. It's a billion times better to under-promise and over-deliver than the opposite. I can't speak for overseas markets. But the 25% drop for domestic market was a pretty steep projection, knowing what other movies like TDK (-8.5%) and TDKR (-10.5%) did in this same late July spot on their opening Sunday. 

15 minutes ago, 21C said:

This lady is getting dragged on Twitter and not gonna lie at first I thought her point made sense but upon seeing the counter-arguments... yeah. The problem is not that Hollywood doesn't go after the female audience, the problem more often than not tends to be that the films that appeal to the female-audience tend to perform better on streaming or simply do not need blockbuster budgets or treatment; and  you can probably count with your fingers the amount of female-driven IPs that'd perform even a third as well as Barbie did (most of which are already being adapted or already have been adapted)

The exception was the YA craze of the early 2010s which stopped because aside from Twilight and The Hunger Games most of those films ended up flopping. 

Women probably are underserved at the box office, but TLM just came out in May, it's not like we have to go back 10 years to think of a blockbuster movie aimed primarily toward a female audience!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 21C said:

This lady is getting dragged on Twitter and not gonna lie at first I thought her point made sense but upon seeing the counter-arguments... yeah. The problem is not that Hollywood doesn't go after the female audience, the problem more often than not tends to be that the films that appeal to the female-audience tend to perform better on streaming or simply do not need blockbuster budgets or treatment; and  you can probably count with your fingers the amount of female-driven IPs that'd perform even a third as well as Barbie did (most of which are already being adapted or already have been adapted)

The exception was the YA craze of the early 2010s which stopped because aside from Twilight and The Hunger Games most of those films ended up flopping. 

Exactly. The issue is that stories appealing to women don't often need a big buget, which makes pretty easy that TV or streaming could cover these stories too.

So, it makes sense that most big budget blockbusters mainly try appeal to men.

Companies like money and women could spend a lot in things they're interested. The sexism won't stop companies to appeal women if they feel it's profitable 

I mean, Soap Operas in many sexist countries were (are) still mainly directed to women.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, swearwords said:

Mario made $377M global opening just to compare.

Mario hit a Billie after the 4th week. Barbie could hit that around that time.

You know your movie made it when it's already 1/3 to a Bille after the first weekend. 

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Mario made $377M global opening just to compare.

Mario hit a Billie after the 4th week. Barbie could hit that around that time.

You know know you movie made it when it's already 1/3 to a Bille after the first weekend. 

Preach! Yes!

Just to be sure, do we know if Mario opened in almost all markets? If I'm not mistaken Barbie only has Japan left.

Empire

ANH

The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

Return of the Jedi

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

Rogue One

All get 8/10 or better

Rise of Skywalker 7.5

The last Jedi 1/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

So Barbillion is happening. The question isn't if but how much over. We are witnessing history here. Barbie has no PLF so it's going to be the first billie without PLF since which movie? What was the last non-PLF billie?

Edited by Valonqar

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So Barbillion is happening. The question isn't if but how much over. We are witnessing history here. Barbie has no PLF so it's going to be the first billie without PLF since which movie? What was the last non-PLF billie?

Barbie does have PLF, it just doesn't have IMAX

20 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Women probably are underserved at the box office, but TLM just came out in May, it's not like we have to go back 10 years to think of a blockbuster movie aimed primarily toward a female audience!

Exactly. I noticed she got some pushback for that take and rightly so.