The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

imo i think the success of Barbie/Gerwig also boils down to a very specific thematic overlap that is not easily replicated — Gerwig’s consistent reflections on womanhood are a perfect match for Barbie as a concept, but i don’t know how easily you can do that with like, gi joe  

Yeah Barbie has also a cultural impact. It's like a politician or a popstar so an author can make his JFK or Elvis about it.

Hot wheels doesn't have all the discussion about the impact, the symbolism of the toy etc .. i don't see how can you make a movie about hot wheels isn't just entertainment and nothing more

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Waiting to go in to Barbie now, last time me and the fiancé will be at a theater for a good while probably. Absolutely heaving in this two screen, Barbie sold out and looks like Mission Impossible is too. Leicester Square as a whole is absolutely slammed at each of the theaters. 

Congratulations on the recent development btw :)

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That's correct starting out, but Zaslav and his team pushed forward with the Barbie strategy for his weekend. The WB executives claim in the media that they really want Nolan back as a Warner director. They paid him a big royalty check for Tenet recently. They could have released Barbie on any weekend and it would have been very profitable for them, but they took direct aim at Nolan this weekend and they stuck to this strategy instead of changing it...despite supposedly wanting to mend fences with him.

I'm not sure he will forget the choices that the WB people have made in recent years. Universal is supporting him in a major way right now, and I would suspect the Universal people are extremely proud of this movie. They will fight like hell to keep him in the future. 

As I said, I would imagine the compromise if both want a Nolan film is to pair up with one getting domestic and the other OS. That's how WB got involved with Interstellar, it was developed at Paramount but Nolan wanted WB to be involved in some capacity. 

Barbie is going to demolish DH2's OW. I can't believe it's still the highest OW for WB after 12 years - who would have thought fucking Barbie would be the one to do it.

big-man-funny-twerk-hhyvfhseb9jn618m.gif

Barbieheimer OW is looking to be one of the most fun blockbuster runs I’ve followed since Black Panther. Sure, both have IP drawings (Barbie and Nolan) but it’s such a relief to see a full on comedy and a big 3-hour drama do numbers we haven’t seen since the 2000s. Makes me so damn happy. The 2020s may not be able to replicate the raw numbers of the 2010s and the issue of price is still the upmost consumer concern but it gives me hope that the industry continue to thrive but also grow into something that not only diverse on what does big, but something more sustainable to prevent film and theaters going the way of Broadway. Oppenheimer, Barbie, and Elemental to a degree, give me faith that there’s still a hunger amongst the GA for original or something new and unfamiliar and the former two blew up because the studios had faith in their talent and pulled out all the stops. Perhaps both can kickstart a return of both genres in theaters.

Even the mega franchises that did well in Across and Guardians were great films first and foremost. Sure, Mission is dying but that doesn’t mean the franchise or quality of the series is gone. Mario is a generic film that exists to pimp nostalgia but kids need movies too and animation as a whole this year apart from Gillman seems to be back in action.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2

I hope Greta Gerwig Narnias are coming on the big screen too for some month cause that sh.it Is gonna be the new E.T. Her movies have such a classic american flavour but also the perfect modern touch to make them palatable for the gen Z and the Tik Tok generation (Little women and Little Bird are huuuuuge in tik Tok). They could became huge. 

Edited by vale9001

6 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Why thank you haha. Just wait until I start spamming telegram with my little lady 😜

You’re going to be a great dad.

Just now, ringedmortality said:

Yeah let's not think about how depressing it's gonna be when all the major movies get delayed to 2024 and we end the year below 2022.

Let's be real, the studios won't postpone all movies to 2024. We'll still have some big films in 2023. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

As I said, I would imagine the compromise if both want a Nolan film is to pair up with one getting domestic and the other OS. That's how WB got involved with Interstellar, it was developed at Paramount but Nolan wanted WB to be involved in some capacity. 

I could see that. It would be one way to guarantee that two studios are not trying to screw him on screen counts. Right now he has Warner, Paramount, and Disney all screwing him this weekend. The movie is not getting anywhere near the screen count of his previous big budget films. If he's able to have two studios on the next project, it at least removes one competitor for screens. 

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Yeah let's not think about how depressing it's gonna be when all the major movies get delayed to 2024 and we end the year below 2022.

do people actually think this will happen or are they just trolling

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

one thing to note is how young oppenheimer skewed and it still got amazing posttrak and RT. studios need to find a way to market these big dramas to younger people. there is still a market for them. for way too long they just accepted these films are only for old white people and others won't care.

You will not convince me the young turnout for Opp isn’t very much thanks to Barbenheimer. I don’t think the older turnout has much to do with that, but young absolutely. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That's correct starting out, but Zaslav and his team pushed forward with the Barbie strategy for his weekend. The WB executives claim in the media that they really want Nolan back as a Warner director. They paid him a big royalty check for Tenet recently. They could have released Barbie on any weekend and it would have been very profitable for them, but they took direct aim at Nolan this weekend and they stuck to this strategy instead of changing it...despite supposedly wanting to mend fences with him.

I'm not sure he will forget the choices that the WB people have made in recent years. Universal is supporting him in a major way right now, and I would suspect the Universal people are extremely proud of this movie. They will fight like hell to keep him in the future. 

To be fair, Warner Bros had a movie dated for this weekend before Universal bought Oppenheimer. It was originally supposed to be Coyote vs. Acme, which announced for this date in December 2020. It was almost a year later, when Universal bought it, that they scheduled Oppenheimer on the date, since it's "reserved" for Nolan. Six months later, WB replaced Coyote vs Acme, which clearly isn't ready, with Barbie. It makes perfect sense for them between what was expected to be their big June release (The Flash) and their big August one (Meg 2), and has the same wide audience appeal as the movie they originally had scheduled. I don't think there's necessarily anything malicious or nefarious about slotting a movie targeting a completely different audience. This isn't a Disney rereleasing The Little Mermaid opposite Anastasia situation.