Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

After Barbie result they need to give 50M dollar to Meryl Streep for Devil wears Prada 2. For the same core target of Barbie that shit would be like episode 7 announcement. 150M debut too. 

I guess lol.

7 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Beginning of a new era? Not exactly. Those movies are just the latest in a line of movies that leaned heavily on name recognition and nostalgia. Take a look at all the non superhero films that have topped the BO in recent years and you'll see the majority fall into this category. I know some are eager for a "new era" but what we're seeing now is just more of the same era... with a Nolan or a Peele occasionally crashing the nostalgia/superhero party. 

Yep, we’re still in the nostalgia era. Arguably started in 1999 with Phantom Menace, but more recently it seems Toy Story 3 in 2010 kick-started an explosion of this trend. The pattern began heavily amping up around 2015. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yep, we’re still in the nostalgia era. Arguably started in 1999 with Phantom Menace, but more recently it seems Toy Story 3 in 2010 kick-started an explosion of this trend. The pattern began heavily amping up around 2015. 

Soon we'll be nostalgic for nostalgia. And I'm not joking lol.

What are kids even into these days. Anime?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Soon we'll be nostalgic for nostalgia. And I'm not joking lol.

What are kids even into these days. Anime?

This is a good question. The studios are gonna be hitting that wall in the next decade or so. What the hell are they gonna make then? 

Hopefully the success of Oppenheimer and possible success of Napoleon means we get more historical epics. 

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

"Dune 2" and "flopping" should never ever be used in the same sentence, except for negating the "flopping" part. Even thinking about Dune 2 possibly beeing a flop is a crime against cinema.

Yeah I don't get the Dune 2 hate around here. 

16 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

"Dune 2" and "flopping" should never ever be used in the same sentence, except for negating the "flopping" part. Even thinking about Dune 2 possibly beeing a flop is a crime against cinema.

I don’t have much confidence in it actually being profitable, but we’ll see. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's bizarre because the legacy film record is really quite awful aside from the random eruption of DA FORCE AWAKENS or MAVERICK. For each overperformer, there are 5 films like MIB INTERNATIONAL", "CHARLIES ANGELS", "SHAFT", "CHIPS" etc 

Edited by excel1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Gerwig seems pretty anti-sequel for it, but the amount of money WB will throw at her… yeah, it prob happens. 

In this article (which contains a minor spoiler about a cameo), she seems excited for it:

"There’s a tone and a humor and a joy, and obviously the world is so beautiful," Gerwig said. "I want to go back to Barbie Land."

She may or may not have to wait for long for her return. Gerwig added that she hopes the movie, in theaters Friday July 21, "is the launch of a world and a bunch of different Barbie movies."

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t have much confidence in it actually being profitable, but we’ll see. 

Me neither, is one on probably state, not lock but since is an Heresy for some people here to say it COULD, (Could, wich does not mean it will 100% flop, but there is a good possibility) and even mods saying you are trolling for just stating it, look at some people saying: Dune and Flopp can not be on the same sentence, what is this a religion?

1 minute ago, KC7 said:

In this article (which contains a minor spoiler about a cameo), she seems excited for it:

"There’s a tone and a humor and a joy, and obviously the world is so beautiful," Gerwig said. "I want to go back to Barbie Land."

She may or may not have to wait for long for her return. Gerwig added that she hopes the movie, in theaters Friday July 21, "is the launch of a world and a bunch of different Barbie movies."

Barbie seemed final, but she is alive and not dead and The money is making, John Wick 5 is supposedly happening so...