Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 hour ago, #ED said:

Gotta love RTH. Hi Baumer :)

Hello everyone! Hope all is well. I couldn’t miss this Nolan weekend here.

Hello Ed, it's been a long time since I've seen you here. Good to see you here. 😊

43 minutes ago, M37 said:

Not all locations report directly/immediately to ComScore (where those numbers come from), and some probably just aren't in yet. There's a reason why studios release daily estimates at 11AM ET and not 8AM

When people like Rth and Charlie give numbers, they're estimating up for the full amount based on the incomplete reporting (having done so many times and having a good sense for what % is missing)

I told this story before but I'm sure not everyone has seen it, and it corroborates what you're saying here.

In 2017,  RTH came to Toronto for Tiff, we had lunch together on two separate days and while we were sitting on a patio in downtown Toronto, he got out his phone, got out his access to daily numbers for my hitman's bodyguard and started adding them up with a pen and a napkin. He of course didn't have access to every single dollar but with all the information he had he gave me a rough estimate.

So yeah they don't always have access to full and complete numbers, they get all the information they can and then based on those numbers they extrapolate and usually they're within percentage points of what the actual number is.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Both movies scoring an A bodes really well for their staying power in the weeks ahead.

And the lack of any legit competiton.

Ironic that the mid/late July slot that both WB and Nolan used to perfection for years when they were together will now benefit both separately.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

What a weekend.

Would normally try to pass along official estimates as they come in, but... the only time I could fit in to see Barbie before going back for my 2nd and 3rd Oppenheimer shows is about 30 minutes from now...

So have fun, everyone. 😁

• Like 13
  • Heart 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Shawn said:

What a weekend.

Would normally try to pass along official estimates as they come in, but... the only time I could fit in to see Barbie before going back for my 2nd and 3rd Oppenheimer shows is about 30 minutes from now...

So have fun, everyone. 😁

How the hell did you manage to score three showings of Oppenheimer LOL did you book like a month in advance or something?

• Haha 1

Just now, filmlover said:

If Dune 2 really is on the move due to the strike, going for that mid-July good luck charm spot might not be a bad idea.

I think mid July for Dune Part 2 is dependent on Twisters moving since WB has a stake in that film. My guess is Twisters moves to November 1st and Dune takes July.

1 minute ago, XXR Union Solidarity said:

Nearly 100 pages and we don’t even have firm Friday numbers yet. Nice job everyone 🔥

Yes but we do have rough estimates, both rth and Empire are saying the same thing.

I don’t think Dune will move. I don’t think it gets hit much at all if the strike is still going as far as awareness. It was always a cinephile kind of deal, and its audience know it’s coming.  The trailer playing to its target audience in a monster Christopher Nolan hit is going to do wonders. 

Plus Denis can do a ton of press for it, and I’m sure he will. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think mid July for Dune Part 2 is dependent on Twisters moving since WB has a stake in that film. My guess is Twisters moves to November 1st and Dune takes July.

Twisters was in the middle of filming when the strike began so it's definitely not making next July unless the strike ends tomorrow. We might see more of what happened during the worst of COVID where some of Summer '24's tentpoles become Summer '25's as reshuffling occurs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I don’t think Dune will move. I don’t think it gets hit much at all if the strike is still going as far as awareness. It was always a cinephile kind of deal, and its audience know it’s coming.  The trailer playing to its target audience in a monster Christopher Nolan hit is going to do wonders. 

Plus Denis can do a ton of press for it, and I’m sure he will. 

I hope not, it's the only upcoming release this year that I am legitimately excited for. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Is the actors not being able to do promo really that big a deal if the movie’s already in the can? Clearly studios knows more about it than I do if it’s even being debated.

For some movies it's not a big deal at all provided they sell themselves ala The Marvels or anything part of an established franchise. But I imagine for something like Dune the star appearances are part of the package deal, especially if one of the hooks is seeing Timothee/Zendaya/Butler/Pugh together on the red carpet. Zendaya's other fall movie is now being released well into next year because of that.

Edited by filmlover

9 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Is the actors not being able to do promo really that big a deal if the movie’s already in the can? Clearly studios knows more about it than I do if it’s even being debated.

I think we take for granted the fact that we know everything that happens to a movie as soon as it happens.  There are undoubtedly a lot of the general public that find these things out by watching talk shows and what not.  

• Like 2