upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

9 minutes ago, elothar said:

You forgot how strong Mario weekend were, all in the 30-40% drop. I can see a world where it does beat it domestically but not WW

Barbie open bigger than Mario OS as well,only thing is Mario open in DOM is 5 days.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Barbie 600M+ is increasingly looking likely too. I even think 640-651M is possible, but that would require outstanding later legs.

I'm thinking it ends up at $653,406,626

• Haha 13
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

OPP + Barbie are coming for way more than 2B WW combined. The Oscars are crying cause they will make biggest audience in years with huge movies upon young people and with actors- characters people care, not the giant blue smurfs. 

You think they're going to combine for more than 2 billion dollars? There's not a chance that happens.

46 minutes ago, Kon said:

In the BOT threads, I've been hearing a lot that white people don't go so much to cinema anymore.

However, the last weekend seems to show that isn't true.

Deadline info does bear out - Caucasians were the dominant demos for both big openers (even with 18-24 being the dominant age demo), so they just showed out in force for the weekend, and that's how you can get a weekend like we had... https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-1235443828/

"Females under 25 on CinemaScore (at 26%) give Barbie an A+. PostTrak exits are currently at 89% positive and a 79% recommend, with kids under 12 giving it 87% in the top two and a 75% must- see. Largest demo was 18-24 year olds at 27%. Diversity demos were 42% Caucasian, 29% Latino and Hispanic, 12% Black, & 17% Asian/other."

And Oppy -  "Guy-leaning here at 64%, and the 18-24 year olds are the biggest demo at 33%. Diversity swath is 53% Caucasian, 22% Latino and Hispanic, 9% Black, & 15% Asian/other." 

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

You think they're going to combine for more than 2 billion dollars? There's not a chance that happens.

Why not?Barbie doing 60m global Monday and Oppy doing near 30m

They open 545m globally

Edited by Sophia Jane

5 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

Why not?Barbie doing 60m global Monday and Oppy doing near 30m

They open 545m globally

I don't think it's impossible, but don't base your prediction just off these first few days. Spillover effect is massive. It could very well de off, especially for Oppenheimer outside IMAX. Give it a few more days and we'll see.

• Like 2

Well, if we’re talking live action pure comedy films in general (whether they be safe family-friendly comedies or raunchy R-rated comedies) , I think Barbie’s biggest box office goal is to outgross the $850M worldwide gross of the chinese comedy film ”Hi, Mom” in order to become the highest grossing live action comedy film of all time, worldwide.

• Like 3

What an amazing weekend for the box office and a great Monday.

I will point out that summer weekdays start to decrease next week as schools start to go back into session.

Here in metro Atlanta - Cherokee, Forsyth, Gwinnett and Cobb county schools all go back into session next week (4 of the 6 largest metro Atlanta districts) and then all the other metro Atlanta school systems go back into session the following week,

This is not unusual as schools in the US South tends to get out earlier in the Spring (usually before Memorial day) than schools in the North and go back sooner in the later part of summer. Summer weekdays will decrease every week in August as schools start going back into session.

This week is the last week that will have 100% of schools out. 

• Like 2

Old news, but Barbenheimer OW did in fact finish as the 4th highest grossing total weekend of all time

j7necbh.png

Note: Lionsgate is still radio silent on Cobweb - not even a theater count! - so the actual weekend gross is a bit higher, but probably doesn't change the ranking. Would have needed $2.69M to slide into third all-time, and $3.43M to jump to second

Highest Grossing True Overall Weekends (FSS, no previews):

1. Endgame $341.99
  2. Force Awakens (2nd/Xmas) $296.42
  3. Barbenheimer $276.85
  4. Infinity War $273.34
  5. Avatar* (2nd/Xmas) = $269.87

*For clarification, that is the original Avatar, not the sequel, meaning it makes the top 5 with 2009 ticket prices. Dark Knight FSS weekend (2008) clocks in at $243M, ranking 13th

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Old news, but Barbenheimer OW did in fact finish as the 4th highest grossing total weekend of all time

j7necbh.png

Note: Lionsgate is still radio silent on Cobweb - not even a theater count! - so the actual weekend gross is a bit higher, but probably doesn't change the ranking. Would have needed $2.69M to slide into third all-time, and $3.43M to jump to second

Highest Grossing True Overall Weekends (FSS, no previews):

1. Endgame $341.99
  2. Force Awakens (2nd/Xmas) $296.42
  3. Barbenheimer $276.85
  4. Infinity War $273.34
  5. Avatar* (2nd/Xmas) = $269.87

*For clarification, that is the original Avatar, not the sequel, meaning it makes the top 5 with 2009 ticket prices. Dark Knight FSS weekend (2008) clocks in at $243M, ranking 13th

Of course Endgame is amazing but TFA's second weekend is the most astonishing to me, alongside a $149m monster you somehow had 3 movies open to 10m+, a 4th that opened to 9.8m and then a bunch of other movies holding ridiculously well. Hopefully one day cinema can get back to having that depth.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Some of us might hate Discount Tues, but they are really important for bringing in the families who might not see the movie with how expensive tickets are nowadays. Barbie is going to need families to challenge Mario.

I think Tuesday discount day is great. That wasn’t the pint of my post. I was talking purely capacity and numbers. 

Just now, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Of course Endgame is amazing but TFA's second weekend is the most astonishing to me, alongside a $149m monster you somehow had 3 movies open to 10m+, a 4th that opened to 9.8m and then a bunch of other movies holding ridiculously well. Hopefully one day cinema can get back to having that depth.

TFA's first two weeks were absolutely unreal and remain more impressive than even Endgames starting week for me. You had TWO weeks in a row where the overall box office was over 500M, that means more than a billion in box office revenue across 14 Days. It was baffling. Of course its Christmas Holidays, but still.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kon said:

In the BOT threads, I've been hearing a lot that white people don't go so much to cinema anymore.

However, the last weekend seems to show that isn't true.

It's interesting. If I remember, TGM skewed more heavily white, too? So, does this mean there is a section of white people who only come out for white-led films (e.g., TGM, Barbieheimmer - even Indy, which is a bomb, still skewed heavily white) and/or does it mean more people of color tend to come out for films with more diverse leads (Spiderverse, Mermaid, even GOTG3)? Really interested in what the diversity demos for Haunted Mansion will be. 

I will say, as someone who enjoyed both Barbieheimmer movies, I have found some of the rhetoric around Barbie curious. Not so much on BOT, but I've seen comments about how "this is what happens when you cast correctly/perfectly and don't mess w/ people's childhoods," which feel like subtle digs at TLM. 

Edited by Hildagarde25

1 minute ago, Hildagarde25 said:

It's interesting. If I remember, TGM skewed more heavily white, too? So, does this mean there is a section of white people who only come out for white-led films (e.g., TGM, Barbieheimmer - even Indy, which is a bomb, still skewed heavily white) and/or does it mean more people of color tend to come out for films with more diverse leads (Spiderverse, Mermaid, even GOTG3)? Really interested in what the diversity demos for Haunted Mansion will be. 

I will say, as someone who enjoyed both Barbieheimmer movies, I have found some of the rhetoric around Barbie curious. Not so much on BOT, but I've seen subtle digs about how "this is what happens when you cast correctly/perfectly and don't mess w/ people's childhoods," which feel like subtle digs at TLM. 

Of course that that would be the chuds angle. Of course.