Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

22 minutes ago, datpepper said:

This concert film wasn’t going to be officially announced until next Wednesday! When was the last time BOT of all things caused an announcement shift like this?

Extremely proud of my sources and myself. This was easily the biggest scoop we’ve uncovered so far.

fbi fbifam GIF by CBS

Soon, at @datpepper’s house 

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, M37 said:

fbi fbifam GIF by CBS

Soon, at @datpepper’s house 

Neither me nor my sources are within AMC’s or Swift’s teams! This was all stuff that was heard through the grapevine, so to speak.

I’m an aspiring journalist, stories like these make me feel like I can do well in the field.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, datpepper said:

Neither me nor my sources are within AMC’s or Swift’s teams! This was all stuff that was heard through the grapevine, so to speak.

I’m an aspiring journalist, stories like these make me feel like I can do well in the field.

This is a pretty major story break. Congratulations.

I can't think of a comparable of such an anticipated release that people didn't really know existed a day ago. And a story break that resulted in a change in ticket sale strategy is pretty big.

Best of luck in your journalist endeavors. I definitely think you can do well in the field.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What’s the ceiling for its OW we’re thinking? It’s getting scary big 

How many parents in the US have tweens and teens that they can never get Taylor concert tickets for (b/c of price and/or availability), but they can actually afford and buy this ticket - I'd say whatever you think the number is, multiply by 2x or 3x as moms (or dads) join their kids and make this a "big present" action for fall...

And for tracking, it's getting 3.5 screens with 14 showings at my 14 (with 1 of the 2 XD screens) and 4 screens with 16 showings at my 12 - it's just under a Marvel solo hero preset.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What’s the ceiling for its OW we’re thinking? It’s getting scary big 

Really hard to tell. She has insane demand/hype right now but I think presales will be extremely frontloaded. 

If you told me OW is 50M I could see it, or if you told me 125M I could see it. 

• Like 1

Do we think the limited functionality of some ticketing apps will cause any problems for this week's openers? At the moment, the AMC app isn't letting Stubs members redeem rewards points for tickets (accumulated points and viewing history are zeroed out right now) and there were reports of non-Swifties not being able to book tickets for other movies. These are likely temporary issues but if the Equalizer previews come in lower than expected...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Taylor Swift Eras Tour ( < 6 hours of sales) MTC1 OD - 330676/510141 6861100.24 2793 shows

This is not even full coverage as theaters are adding more shows. I will update end of day to see how big it goes. 

Comps DS2 did 231342(3.94m) OD presales. This is  NWH territory. We dont have NWH Day 1 data but T-7 was at 591273. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 4

15 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

@katnisscinnaplex can you do 1st pull on number of shows for Eras tour movie. I am curious on how wide it is outside MTC1. 

Variety’s article said they are working on getting other chains on board, so it’s likely a lot of smaller chains get added in the week’s ahead, especially since tickets weren’t even originally to go on sale until next week. Any chain on the fence seeing the current sell outs will probably jump on board.

As a bit of an example of demand, when tickets for the Eras tour went on sale for the 6 Toronto shows earlier this month, there were 30+ million registered to get tickets. 30 million people and only 500 000 available tickets. There is a lot of demand from those who weren’t able to get tickets.

As @TwoMisfits said, this is going to be big with families who couldn’t get tickets, and they aren’t necessarily going to be buying tickets in the first 24 hours.

Further, once people start seeing the film on the 13th, it will be all over social media the same way Barbie was, possibly fueling more demand by people who aren’t necessarily big fans but want to see what all the fuss is about. 

Sky’s the limit on this one I think, especially given the higher ATP. $19.89 for a standard ticket is a lot higher than usual in many places. For example, here in Canada a standard priced ticket is around $13. 

• Like 4