Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, fair enough.  More talking about "matter of degree here".  I used "slightly" as an adjective very much on purpose, as I did indeed mean slightly.  Sliver.  Shade.  Teeny bit less. That sort of thing.

I do think Furiosa was in a position where any little thing could have sent it wobbling.  That precariousness speaks partially to the film itself, but I will agree that its also a commentary on the overall theater going landscape right now.

That being said, as I just alluded to, I still think we should see how the GA takes to the film and how it does in the legs department before coming to any sweeping conclusions about said film.

While I don’t think it’s the most reliable metric, Quorum tracking has been pretty bad for Furiosa up to this point. 

As many in here have speculated, Fury Road doesn’t have much appeal to more casual movies goers. It is quite weird, after all. 

Edited by Squire
  • Like 1

Furiosa sales are slowing down because it was always going to be a product of cinephile fan rush, a Mad Max prequel without Mad Max is probably topping out around 40m OW these days. Garfield numbers much more shocking and shitty. Thought that was a legit 150m grosser.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Minnesota Previews:

Furiosa (T-3):

Day: T-3 Shows New Seats Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 25 theaters 144 179 1121 23723 4.73

Type of tix: Total: New: Percentage:
PLFs: 955 139 85.19
MTC1: 649 78 57.89
Alamo: 165 20 14.72
Other chains: 307 81 27.39

Comps:

1.05x Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (w/ EA): $6.92 Million

1.79x Fall Guy (w/ EA): $5.65 Million

0.84x BoSS: $4.85 Million (17 theaters)

0.75x MI7 (TUE): $5.25 Million (17 theaters)

Average: $5.67 Million

Still kickin it

Minnesota Previews:

Furiosa (T-2):

Day: T-2 Shows New Seats Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 25 theaters 165 153 1274 25407 5.01

PLFs: 1075 120 84.38
MTC1: 731 82 57.38
Alamo: 181 16 14.21
Other chains: 362 55 28.41

Comps:

0.97x Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (w/ EA): $6.38 Million

1.74x Fall Guy (w/ EA): $5.49 Million

0.82x BoSS: $4.7 Million (17 theaters)

0.72x MI7 (TUE): $5.07 Million (17 theaters)

Average: $5.41 Million

About that good pace @Porthos...

Not a great update, down against every comp. This is also a movie that is highly overindexing in MTC1 and Alamo (only 28% sold in other chains is pretty low). That is most comparable to... BoSS, which is (not) coincidentally the lowest comp value I have. Right now with this pace and thinking about those variables I think $4.5-5 Million is a good target, but I will be looking closest at that comp moving forward.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

23 hours ago, Flip said:

first time trying this

(2 AMC theaters NY/NJ):

Deadpool 3 Previews first 14 hours :

36 showtimes/442 tix sold

Furiosa Previews (T-3) 

8 showtimes/159 tix sold

Inside Out 2 Previews (T-24)

8 showtimes/59 tix sold

Garfield previews (T-3)

7 showtimes/51 tix sold

*non-PLF

Furiosa Previews (T-2)

9 showtimes/187 tix sold (+28)

Garfield Previews (T-2)

10 showings/69 tix sold (+18)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Amazing day two at MiniTC2. Well ahead of BP2, GOTG3 and AM3. Not too far off from Thor 4.

This is more impressive considering they all were ~25-35 days out while this is 65 days out.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Furiosa sales are slowing down because it was always going to be a product of cinephile fan rush, a Mad Max prequel without Mad Max is probably topping out around 40m OW these days. Garfield numbers much more shocking and shitty. Thought that was a legit 150m grosser.

Honestly I felt the same way about Garfield you felt about the Fall Guy. There never seemed to be any real excitement for it or reason for it to break out. Family audiences are being choosy and holding on to their money until IO2 and DM4. As for Furiosa not shocking either just would have liked it to break out a little bit this weekend and shock a little life into the coma of a BO. June should be better. Bad Boys, IO2 and QP: Day One should all do well.  and all 3 have the potential to make more than the top movie this month which is going to be Apes it seems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah but even that is proving the thin line with moviegoers anymore. 85% on RT is not even close to being bad but because it is not Fury Road great it's like people go eh I can wait to streaming. It's really frustrating.

Without Charlize, ppl didn't really want this if it wasn't going to be Fury Road great at the least. All things considered, the numbers are fine

As Cmaster said, the real shocker is Garfield. Did IF hurt it that bad? Considering IF itself has a mid performance instead of breaking out, looks like families checked out until IO2

6 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Minnesota Previews:

Furiosa (T-2):

Average: $5.41 Million

About that good pace @Porthos...

Man, I'm just full of jinxes today, ain't I? 😂

(referencing something off board on another 'site, don't mind me)

((laughing tears is mostly at myself here, ftr))

• Haha 2

Minnesota Previews:

The Garfield Movie (T-3):

Day: T-3 Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 25 theaters 125 23 129 15620 0.83

PLFs: 8 2 6.2
MTC1: 70 16 54.26
Alamo: 15 5 11.63
Other chains: 44 2 34.11

Thursday comps:

0.81x IF: $1.42 Million

0.29x Kung Fu Panda 4: $1.09 Million

0.72x Migration: $1.07 Million

0.28x Wonka: $980k

0.83x Trolls 3: $1.08 Million

Average: $1.13 Million

I think people that are expecting this to break out like it seems like it is doing so overseas are in for a rude awakening come this weekend :( 

Minnesota Previews:

The Garfield Movie (T-2):

Day: T-3 Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 25 theaters 140 25 154 16948 0.91

PLFs: 8 0 5.19
MTC1: 77 7 50
Alamo: 17 2 11.04
Other chains: 60 16 38.96

Thursday comps:

0.77x IF: $1.34 Million

0.28x Kung Fu Panda 4: $1.06 Million

0.6x Migration: $905k

0.28x Wonka: $965k

0.74x Trolls 3: $965k

Average: $1.05 Million

Gonna keep sounding the alarm bells. HORRIBLE update for this so close to release.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

Re: Garfield looking increasingly like an underperformer

Maybe the Garfield brand just has a limit in appeal? FWIW the 2004 live-action movie, while a decently solid performer, didn't exactly set the box office on fire. Its grosses really paled in comparison to what the live-action Scooby-Doo and The Flintstones movies did with similarly lousy reviews. What is the hook for this movie supposed to be anyway? If you loved Chris Pratt as Mario and in his other animated movies, you'll love him as the voice of everyone's favorite lasagna loving cat? Can't say it's difficult to see why there's no apparent enthusiasm for it from any demos.

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Without Charlize, ppl didn't really want this if it wasn't going to be Fury Road great at the least. All things considered, the numbers are fine

As Cmaster said, the real shocker is Garfield. Did IF hurt it that bad? Considering IF itself has a mid performance instead of breaking out, looks like families checked out until IO2

Agree with the first (lack of Theron is a likely a big minus, FWIW!), but not so much the second.  Just think Garfield was one of those projects that had a huge "WHY?!?" stigma attached to it.  So it petering out is one of the least surprising box office stories of the year for me.

But as I said I've long been very skeptical of its chances, so I won't repeat my thoughts on the matter (for once).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Like I said I do not think Garfield is the shocker some think it is. Universal and Illumanation might have been able to generate some excitement for it but Sony nope.

• Like 2

Minnesota Previews:

Deadpool x Wolverine (T-66, Day 1):

Day: T-66 Shows New Seats Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 25 theaters 298 2398 2398 44821 5.35

PLFs: 1739 1739 72.52
MTC1: 1057 1057 44.08
Alamo: 198 198 8.26
Other chains: 1143 1143 47.66

Day 1 Comps (not serious ones, they're just the ones I got):

4.17x The Marvels: $27.49 Million

2.14x Dune Part 2*: $24.14 Million

*combing day 1 of EA sales and day 1 of previews sales, which I know is cheating a little bit, but it doesn't make much sense to do it any other way either

Probably will just update once a week on Thursdays for the next 30 or so days, this is a truly annoying pre-sales window they're giving us here

Minnesota Previews:

Deadpool x Wolverine (T-65, Day 2):

Day: T-65 Shows New Seats Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 25 theaters 298 392 2790 44821 6.22

PLFs: 1993 254 71.43
MTC1: 1249 192 44.77
Alamo: 223 25 7.99
Other chains: 1318 175 47.24

Day 2 Comps (not serious ones, they're just the ones I got):

4.6x The Marvels: $30.37 Million

2.29x Dune Part 2: $25.9 Million

Ok, NOW I will update it once a week on Thursdays. Couldn't help but see what the fuss about day 2 was all about and... yeah, pretty damn great!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think the disappointment with Furiosa is that 50 for the 4 day weekend is looking unlikely even though Keyser earlier said he thought it would. But unless it just fall off a cliff in these last few days it should still do 45 or so for the 4 days. Which for a prequel without Max and Charlize in the title role is not bad. Once again the budget is the problem. But they greenlit it knowing that Fury Road was not a monster performer either. It's their money. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Like I said I do not think Garfield is the shocker some think it is. Universal and Illumanation might have been able to generate some excitement for it but Sony nope.

Yeah, Garfield isn’t really a hot IP these days. Hasn’t had the staying power Lego or Mario has. 

On a side note, I thought Pratt was fine as Mario. Those people who have it out for him just find any reason to dunk on him. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Re: Garfield looking increasingly like an underperformer

Maybe the Garfield brand just has a limit in appeal? FWIW the 2004 live-action movie, while a decently solid performer, didn't exactly set the box office on fire. Its grosses really paled in comparison to what the live-action Scooby-Doo and The Flintstones movies did with similarly lousy reviews. What is the hook for this movie supposed to be anyway? If you loved Chris Pratt as Mario and in his other animated movies, you'll love him as the voice of everyone's favorite lasagna loving cat? Can't say it's difficult to see why there's no apparent enthusiasm for it from any demos.

Y'all are really tempting me to dissect Garfield, ain't cha?

Okay, I don't really want to repeat myself here, but a few things.

The live-action Garfield movies I think are in that genre of film that can be put in the box "aged badly".  Might have done well enough at the time, but I'm not personally aware of many folks who think that fondly of them.  Maybe not as bad as the live-action Alvin and the Chipmunks films, but... kinda close?  At least in popular memory?  Sorta a Guilt-by-association (along with live-action Grinch).

Then we have the various TV cartoons.  Never watched them, but I gather they did rather well.  But... the transition from TV to Silver Screen isn't always smooth, if only because folks have already had plenty of "free" entertainment from the property in the audio/visual medium*.

* Remember this comment, folks, when I start to discuss the box office prospects of another incoming TV-->film project on the not too distant horizon

Then there's the elephant in the room: Demo Appeal.

Garfield first debuted in 1978.  Was a massive hit and cultural presence in the 80s and still going fairly strong well into the 90s.  But I do think it is safe to say that was the crest of its popularity, at least in its original format in comics.  Since then it's... Well I don't really have a good feel on the pulse of what is and isn't all that popular, but I think it is very safe to say it is nowhere close to the popularity it once had.

So appeal to Gen Xers (and Early Millennials) with kids, is probably the target demo here.  Not an unreasonable demo to target.  But speaking as a Gen Xer, we can be... fickle.  And, I dunno.   Maybe the memory of live-action Garfield is too strong.  I know I've harped on it far too much.  But I look at CGI animated Garfield as the sort of thing that if it came out anywhere from, oh say, 2011 to 2018, it would have done much better than it looks to be doing now.

(eta: especially since many Gen Xers' kids have likely aged-out of a Garfield range by now leaving the field to Early Millennials with kids).

But 2024?  'bout a decade "too late" I think.  Or maybe even five years too late.

Anyway, that's the slightly longer version of my thoughts:  Limited demo appeal, probably a few years "too late".

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 9:21 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

DEADPOOL X WOLVERINE

Thursday 

T-66

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

5.7%

*numbers taken as of 9:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

N/A

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

COMPS

First 12 hours

*Don't take these seriously 

(5.606x) of Dune 2 $52.13M
(7.396x)
 of Planet Apes $36.98M

(5.250x) of Godzill and Kong $49.88M

Rollout is pretty insane as well. It has almost 200 more showings than Inside out 2. Crazy, but true. It's sold more tickets than Dune 2 did as of T-1 (Dune 2 finished with 13.6k on T-0). It has also surpassed Godzilla tickets sold as of T-0

FLORIDA 

DEADPOOL x WOLVERINE

Thursday 

T-65

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

6.6%

COMPS

2nd day

(4.770x) of Dune 2 $44.36M

Pretty ridiculously strong day 2. It sold more tickets on T-65 than Dune 2 did in its final day of presales. No further updates til T-30

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

DEADPOOL x WOLVERINE

Thursday 

T-65

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

6.6%

COMPS

2nd day

(4.770x) of Dune 2 $44.36M

Pretty ridiculously strong day 2. It sold more tickets on T-65 than Dune 2 did in its final day of presales. No further updates til T-30

So what OW are we forecasting based on this? Assuming it's GOTG 3 reception

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The live-action Garfield movies I think are in that genre of film that can be put in the box "aged badly".  Might have done well enough at the time, but I'm not personally aware of many folks who think that fondly of them.  Maybe not as bad as the live-action Alvin and the Chipmunks films, but... kinda close?  At least in popular memory?  Sorta a Guilt-by-association (along with live-action Grinch).

Then we have the various TV cartoons.  Never watched them, but I gather they did rather well.  But... the transition from TV to Silver Screen isn't always smooth, if only because folks have already had plenty of "free" entertainment from the property in the audio/visual medium*.

* Remember this comment, folks, when I start to discuss the box office prospects of another incoming TV-->film project on the not too distant horizon

Garfield first debuted in 1978.  Was a massive hit and cultural presence in the 80s and still going fairly strong well into the 90s.  But I do think it is safe to say that was the crest of its popularity, at least in its original format in comics.  Since then it's... Well I don't really have a good feel on the pulse of what is and isn't all that popular, but I think it is very safe to say it is nowhere close to the popularity it once had.

So appeal to Gen Xers (and Early Millennials) with kids, is probably the target demo here.  Not an unreasonable demo to target.  But speaking as a Gen Xer, we can be... fickle.  And, I dunno.   Maybe the memory of live-action Garfield is too strong.  I know I've harped on it far too much.  But I look at CGI animated Garfield as the sort of thing that if it came out anywhere from, oh say, 2011 to 2018, it would have done much better than it looks to be doing now.

(eta: especially since many Gen Xers' kids have likely aged-out of a Garfield range by now leaving the field to Early Millennials with kids).

But 2024?  'bout a decade "too late" I think.  Or maybe even five years too late.

Anyway, that's the slightly longer version of my thoughts:  Limited demo appeal, probably a few years "too late".

Part of the reason I thought it would be a break out is because Garfield has been widely memed on Twitter, Reddit, and TikTok. There was also a fairly popular TV show in the late 00s (I watched it growing up) and I was thinking there could be some nostalgia for the Murray movies (there isn't especially when you compare it to how fondly remember the Scooby Doo and The Cat in the Hat live action films are).

But clearly that didn't translate to this film.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I get the sense the Garfield movies from the aughts aren't remembered at all tbh (even with them being used as punchlines via Bill Murray's cameos in the Zombieland movies). Not even the Razzies could be bothered to nominate them for anything and lord knows they've always enjoyed going after easy targets.

Anyway, if Furiosa opens similarly to Fury Road that would be a win IMO. I don't know why anyone would've expected more, especially being a prequel with an entirely new cast (I also don't think bringing Charlize back would've moved the needle much higher either). Mad Max is probably too weird of a franchise to ever rival the biggest ones.

• Like 5