Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Unfortunately it seems Transformers without Bayformers is not enticing audience. 

They need to go to someone who can bring that scale, destruction & spectacle.

Audience have perceived certain kind of movies when it comes to transformers and last few movies haven't fit that perception.

I think they should just let the franchise rest on film for the foreseeable future. Because at this point, it's fucked either way. The Bay era crashed and burned as people just grew sick and tired of it by the end, and the attempts they've made to revitalize the brand since then have all been nonstarters, with One increasingly looking like the latest in a long line of those. Bumblebee was their last chance to make it shine, but unfortunately they squandered that potential with the muddy mess that was Rise of the Beasts, so here we are. Bringing Bay back would most certainly make things worse, yet the franchise never truly recovered since then. They're trapped. And while I suggested a hiatus, Indy 5 last year proved even that's not a guaranteed solution. Let's wait and see what David Ellison and the Skydance team does when they get their Paramount seats, I suppose.

5 hours ago, WebSurfer said:

Same setup as I back in the day.

Unfortunately, I recall our classes never seeing any good movies from our field trips. Movies I can remember are Happy Feet 2 and Mars needs Moms...

I don’t want to derail the thread but this is my only chance to mention this. I remember asking my teacher to put on Scott Pilgrim in 7th grade (which she did because I was the class movie nerd) and everyone hated it. I forgot there was a sex scene in the movie and well, we had to watch a different movie when that popped up. We ended up watching Ice Age 3 instead, which of course everyone loved. Laughs and joy abound instead of the reactions of disgust Scott Pilgrim got. One of the worst experiences in middle school.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

My favourite school trip memory was going to see Spice World 

Spice Girls GIF

and I’d much rather watch that than a cartoon tbh (it was a huge deal here) 

Spice World?!?!? That school should have been investigated for child endangerment!

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

38 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Unfortunately it seems Transformers without Bayformers is not enticing audience. 

They need to go to someone who can bring that scale, destruction & spectacle.

Audience have perceived certain kind of movies when it comes to transformers and last few movies haven't fit that perception.

Maybe Bayformers is the problem tho. 

The freefall on box office started with him in TF5 which had horrible results everywhere except China. 

The semi-reboot followed the same cards that Bay left and was also semi-succesful at best.

Beyond the obvious factor of animated sometimes limiting appeal, maybe TFOne is just paying the price of Bay era.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2024 at 6:10 AM, vafrow said:

Joker: Folie a Deux, T-16, Western GTA (southern Ontario), Thursday Previews and Monday EA 

Total Sales: 83

New Sales since T-19: 12

Growth: 17%

Theatres: 5

Showtimes: 19

Tickets per Showtime: 3.7

Chains tracked: MTC4

Ticket Premium in effect: Y

Sales by Showtime

Late Afternoon: 6/4

Early Evening: 50/9

Late Evening: 27/6

Preview Sales by Format

Dolby: 32/7

VIP: 25/6

IMAX: 26/6

Comps

1.258x Beetlejuice² for $12.3M

0.223x Dune 2 for $2.2M

0.264x The Marvels for $1.7M

1.078x Alien Romulus for $7.0M

Average: $5.8M

Monday EA Sales

Total:116

New sales: 29

Growth: 33%

Showings: 2 IMAX showing in radius 

EA Comp

0.286x Dune 2 for $0.6M

This has maintained a steady pace all week, on the higher end of my expectations. More comps will come online later this week, so I thought better to get an update out now for like to like comparisons, but it has increased against comps.

Joker: Folie a Deux, T-14, Western GTA (southern Ontario), Thursday Previews and Monday EA 

Total Sales: 101

New Sales since T-16: 18

Growth: 22%

Theatres: 5

Showtimes: 19

Tickets per Showtime: 5.3

Chains tracked: MTC4

Ticket Premium in effect: Y

Sales by Showtime

Late Afternoon: 6/4

Early Evening: 65/9

Late Evening: 30/6

Preview Sales by Format

Dolby: 36/7

VIP: 36/6

IMAX: 29/6

Comps

1.365x Beetlejuice² for $13.4M

0.894x GxK for $8.9M

0.242x Dune 2 for $2.4M

1.329x BB:RoD for $7.6M

0.297x The Marvels for $2.0M

1.031x Alien Romulus for $6.7M

Average: $6.8M

Monday EA Sales

Total:131

New sales: 15

Growth: 13%

Showings: 2 IMAX showing in radius 

EA Comp

0.310x Dune 2 for $0.6M

Growth rate continues to be solid. It settled around 5% a day earlier in the week, but moving up to 10% already.

I'll probably need to cull the comps at a certain point. I still have Aquaman comjg online in a few days which I'll want.

• Like 1