The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

Argylle

Thursday Previews

T-9

15 tickets sold (+1)

(2.50x) of The Beekeeper $6,000,000

(0.106x) of Aquaman 2 $477,000

COMPS AVG - $3,238,500

A slight increase from yesterday. Still pacing well against Beekeeper but still a mile's length behind Aquaman. Definitely scary territory but should open similarly to The Beekeeper. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, dallas said:

Argylle

Thursday Previews

T-9

15 tickets sold (+1)

(2.50x) of The Beekeeper $6,000,000

(0.106x) of Aquaman 2 $477,000

COMPS AVG - $3,238,500

A slight increase from yesterday. Still pacing well against Beekeeper but still a mile's length behind Aquaman. Definitely scary territory but should open similarly to The Beekeeper. 

The one thing this has going for it is how terrible the rest of February looks . If it is at least good it might have legs.

• Like 1

Quorum Updates

Bob Marley: One Love T-21: 40.69%

Kung Fu Panda 4 T-44: 55.71%

Love Lies Bleeding T-51: 16.6%

The First Omen T-72: 25.08%

Horrorscope T-107: 12.29%

The Bikeriders T-149: 14.32%

Deadpool 3 T-184: 57.25%

Trap T-191: 12.58%

See No Evil T-233: 25%

Drive-Away Dolls T-30: 19.43% Awareness

T-30 Awareness: 13% chance of 10M

Low Awareness: 12% chance of 10M

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm out of the country, so I can't check Cineplex site (it's literally giving me errors both on app and site). Any Canadian trackers taking a peak on how Fighter is doing? 

With how low this weekend is going to be, I'm wondering if it can make some decent noise. When I left, it was getting a very wide release in the region.  BOP update doesn't reference it for this weekend, but I know these releases can be a big wildcard on quiet weekends.

On 1/20/2024 at 11:46 AM, misterpepp said:

An added notice: this is going on sale in the afternoon rather than the usual morning. Am told it’ll be around 12:30p EST.

I've been corrected on this, should be around an hour and a half earlier than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Minneapolis-St. Paul Area Previews:

Bob Marley: One Love (T-21):

Day: T-21 Shows New Seats Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 11 theaters 40 57 57 6411 0.89

Type of tix: Total: New: Percentage:
PLFs: 30 30 52.63
MTC1: 0 0 0
Marcus: 29 29 50.88
Alamo: 0 0 0
Other chains: 28 28 49.12

MTC1 and Alamo, by far the chains with the heaviest pre-sales in my area, have NOT posted this yet... so I decided to reflect that in the comps below. I am quite aware that isn't the best method, since someone who might have bought a ticket in these chains might have gone and bought one somewhere else, but I think it is a better reflection of interest for this movie for now than comparing it straight-up with other movies without accounting for that.

Comps (sans MTC1 and Alamo):

0.25x The Color Purple: $3.83 Million

1.84x Wonka: $6.45 Million

1.54x KoFM: $4 Million

0.21x Oppy: $2.19 Million

Average: $4.12 Million

I want to stress this is very likely NOT a good, accurate representation of what previews are going to be, but it is more meant to illustrate some pretty decent early strength in local chains, which is a very good sign. So get a bit excited, but not too much! The real test is when MTC1 and Alamo open up their pre-sales (which... come on, get on with it!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, misterpepp said:

Looking like no Tuesday previews for both Madame Web and Bob Marley.

I think it's the best choice , the studios will directly implicated Valentine's day and will have a drop less brutal between VD and the day after

On 1/23/2024 at 6:40 PM, misterpepp said:

Additional note about Dune 2:

There will be IMAX early access shows on Feb 25

These early shows are on sale now. As mentioned, general sales still start on the 26th.

• Like 3

Argylle

Thursday Previews

T-8

21 tickets sold (+6)

(2.625x) of The Beekeeper $6.3 Million

(0.141x) of Aquaman 2 $0.64 Million

COMPS AVG - $3.47 Million

Still increasing which is a good sign. Still think this will do similar numbers to Beekeeper. Still shocked though at the complete absency of marketing, at least here in the states. Hopefully if reviews are good, that will help. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

No comps yet, and I'm not sure if I really will have any good comps, but Bob Marley is off to a solid start in my area. I don't want to overhype anything, but we may have a sleeper hit on our hands. 

• Like 2

Minneapolis-St. Paul Area Previews:

Lisa Frankenstein: (Day 1, taken at 10:30 PM)

Day: T-15 Shows New Seats Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 16 theaters 32 14 14 4530 0.31

Type of tix: Total: New: Percentage:
PLFs: 2 2 14.29
MTC1: 9 9 64.29
Marcus: 2 2 14.29
Alamo: 3 3 21.43
Other chains: 0 0 0

Day 1 Comps:

1x Night Swim: $1.45M

0.45x Thanksgiving: $450k

Set the sheet up for this and thought I'd might as well post the numbers. Not a good start obviously but I don't see why there would be any sort of fan rush so it's whatever.

• Like 4

Dune 2 Early Shows MTC1 - 8093/55566 174919.23 181 shows

its seems to be just Imax and  so MTC2 is irrelevant(I see only 11 shows listed and 200 tickets sold). Lincoln Sq Imax already sold out. Dune had good day 1 sales and so I am not surprised. Since this is just imax, I am expecting good sales for its previews when it opens in 2 days.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Jeez, just did a quick glance and you weren’t kidding. Wonder if that’ll make day 1 tracking for Thursday previews a little softer though

I checked also, and I can confirm that Dune fever is real. Not sure if this will make Thursday softer but we'll see. 

• Like 2