Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

Two disappointments today and one positive surprise.

I start with a disappointments.

The Garfield Movie. Of course I still think that this movie has the potential to become a big hit (I'm almost sure) but the start in my theaters was very modest. It had today for Thursday, May 23, combined 19 sold tickets (in all of my 7 theaters).

So so far no need to add comps. I'll check its sales from time to time over the next few weeks.

I don't want to be mean ;). The positive surprise is Challengers and the not so positive counting was for Unsung Hero which is no film that would need great presales and could have good legs.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

I mean I am just saying it to myself. Obviously the marketing has not worked enough to get the GA excited enough to get tickets early or even check the reviews out. 

I think marketing and reviews have done all they can, including capitalizing on a Barbenheimer connection that hadn't even occurred to me. I feel the concept itself of crossing Hollywood stunt action with romcoms doesn't have too large an appeal amongst any one demo 

• Like 1

I've been bearish on Garfield but even I don't think one should read anything into these presales. It's been proven time and again that they have minimal tracking usage when it comes to kids movies

• Like 5

I'm pro Garfield breaking out, not huge numbers or anything remarkable but it will have been awhile since an animated film and families will remember they want something to do over that weekend. Remember how slow KFP4 and Minions sales were?

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

Remember how KFP4 looked like it was going open under Trolls 3 until a week and a half until OW? Unless it’s a sequel or big IP - ticket sales mean nothing for kids movies.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, YM! said:

Remember how KFP4 looked like it was going open under Trolls 3 until a week and a half until OW? Unless it’s a sequel or big IP - ticket sales mean nothing for kids movies.

Maybe it's only in Sacto, but have to say I was rather impressed with Garfield's sales.  Not impressed enough for a dedicated track, but impressed nonetheless.

Speaking of KFP4, not at my main computer at the moment, but might sniff around to see if I kept any D1 data for that movie as it might be the best most recent comp, even with the EA factor,

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

Isn't BKW a Lionsgate movie? C'mon now, you guys know how this will end.

It's a joint release between Lionsgate and indie studio Roadside (which Lionsgate owns about 45% of). Seems like it's mostly the latter covering the distribution, which means not much of a marketing push.

• Like 1

I am curious to see how IF tracks, HSX is pretty high on it and I feel like it might have some more childless adult pull with Reynolds and Krasinski involved. Still wouldn't read anything into it if sales are similarly low though.

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Maybe it's only in Sacto, but have to say I was rather impressed with Garfield's sales.  Not impressed enough for a dedicated track, but impressed nonetheless.

Speaking of KFP4, not at my main computer at the moment, but might sniff around to see if I kept any D1 data for that movie as it might be the best most recent comp, even with the EA factor,

I also feel a Garfield breakout. Think it could open to 50m-60m over the four day if the stars line up for it. Depends on momentum and how big IF is the week prior.

Unsung Hero, had, counted today for Thursday, 49 sold tickets (in only 4 theaters).

Comps (all over the place): Sound of Freedom (a Tuesday release, 14.2M OD, 19.7M OW 3-day, 41.7M OW 6-day) had on Tuesday for Friday 380 sold tickets.

After Death (2.1 OD, 5.1M OW) had on Wednesday for Thursday (= 1 day left for Unsung Hero to come closer) 71 sold tickets.

The Shift (4.4M OW) had on the same day as Unsung Hero, Tuesday for Thursday, 107 sold tickets (in 5 theaters).

And Overcomer (775k from previews/8.1M OW) finally (= on Thursday for Thursday) had 91 sold tickets.

I'm surprised that the sales are so low, even in Michigan (20 sold tickets) because IMO the trailer is likeable.

But maybe low presales don't matter that much. Maybe it has good walk-ups and probably it will have good WOM and could develop nice legs so let's see.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Challengers, counted today for Thursday, had 492 sold tickets (in 6 of the 7 tracked theaters).

Comps (all counted for Thursday): The Lost City (2.5M from previews) had on Wednesday of the release week (= 1 day left for Challengers to overtake which will very probably happen) 520 sold tickets = 2.5M+ for Challengers.

Don't Worry Darling (3.1M but from previews on Monday and Thursday) had also on Tuesday 589 sold tickets = ?

Lisa Frankenstein (700k from previews) had again also on Tuesday 177 sold tickets  = 1.95M.

And Marry Me (525k from previews, 7.9M OW) had 128 sold tickets = 3.84x for Challengers = 2M.

Rough average: 2-2.5M.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1