katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

53 minutes ago, baumer said:

@TwoMisfits

Sound of freedom looks like it's going to be at around $149 million at the end of the weekend. The projected total for this weekend is about 13.5 million. I enjoy picking your brain about a film's potential to hit a certain number. Do you think it has a chance to get to 200 million? 

I think it can and it'll probably scrape by the number. I am excited to see what it does on the international front now as there seems to be more and more markets that are being added.

I think it, like Barbie and Oppy, will benefit from movies now being pushed b/c it will hang around...it's still #4 this weekend and will probably go back to #3 Monday (if it's normal older Monday audience works again) before dropping back to #4 with TMNT open on Wed...so, it's in that top tier that will just keep staying around as other films depart...

And with the big international opens at the end of August, it will probably get another push of press, which always helps...

So, getting up to $200M is still definitely in play...the more films that move out, the likelier it gets.  

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

23 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Great start for Talk To Me, deserved too. Hope it goes over $10m for the weekend and legs it to 30. 

Budget $4.5m, A24 acquired US rights for under $10m and it was sold to distributors worldwide. Could be the beginning of a new franchise. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eric the Hatbox Ghost said:

Just for both of your informations, while the staff are largely fine with my moderation style, they do not let me go on “power trips” and have called me out when they think I gave a warning unfairly. This included my moderation warning towards Zatt that both of you think I am too aggressive on.

Although, frankly, I don’t see how I was aggressive? I told Zatt to stop his condescending attitude and fighting against Deep Wang. I was quite stern about it, but I don’t think being stern is bad? Especially when you are a moderator? Plus people were clearly growing tired of Zatt and his behavior towards people in this thread. In fact, people have found him a problematic user for months now. But when I tell a user people have problems with to knock it off, folks here say I’m a bully and power hungry? I’m getting a ton of mixed signals here.

Since my name has been mentioned, I will just point out that it’s not the first time that Deep Wang is very snarky and aggressive towards my posts. Then we have a bunch of newcomers that post half a sentence instigating gratuitous attacks. If your problem that you can’t control yourself and act like you are doing, I can be the bigger man in the room and just leave the message board.

I didn’t complain about how needlessly aggressive you came to me not once, not twice, not thrice. I didn’t complain about Deep Wang either. He threw me snark, I replied with I thought it was on equal measure. I didn’t complain about my warnings. But clearly, I’m not the only one that seems to make you lose control, given the reaction of older posters here. If I leave, will you stop doing this shit? Also, as an old timer here, it’s not cool to feel unwelcome. To moderate a board requires a type of skill that is basic: just don’t be an asshole. Maybe if I leave, you will eventually stop acting like that with others. If that’s the case, I guess it’s worth it. If you repeat this behavior with other users, then it’s obvious that it isn’t about me. 

I wasn’t going to say anything. I thought this was something personal between you two. But clearly you just won’t stop embarrassing me. So as long as you are a mod here, I’m done with these boards. So… yay? Hope that helps you, Eric.

Have a good Saturday, y’all. 

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's supposed to be a Nov 10 release from Sony/Affirm...schedules I see online still have it, as does the movie's website.  I posted the teaser trailer earlier in this thread...

TIL Affirm is a Sony subsidiary, but if there is any studio that won't be affected the SAG strike in promotional work, it's them. They have a well established network of religious groups that do grass roots work and reach their audience. Musical is probably a tougher sell, but there have been some limited run, religious themed musical event runs recently (the names of which I can't recall) that have done fairly well

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Eric the Hatbox Ghost said:

Just for both of your informations, while the staff are largely fine with my moderation style, they do not let me go on “power trips” and have called me out when they think I gave a warning unfairly. This included my moderation warning towards Zatt that both of you think I am too aggressive on.

Although, frankly, I don’t see how I was aggressive? I told Zatt to stop his condescending attitude and fighting against Deep Wang. I was quite stern about it, but I don’t think being stern is bad? Especially when you are a moderator? Plus people were clearly growing tired of Zatt and his behavior towards people in this thread. In fact, people have found him a problematic user for months now. But when I tell a user people have problems with to knock it off, folks here say I’m a bully and power hungry? I’m getting a ton of mixed signals here.

You did the right thing imo

• Like 3

14 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Glad to see Oppy’s number go up from $13M to $14M. Just got back from my 3rd viewing and it’s pretty hard to believe this movie is making so much money. Gotta be the most impressive box office performance of Nolan’s career, given the fact it’s 99% dialogue and almost zero action sequences. 

What formats have you seen it on?

AMC Dolby and IMAX were glorious but I tried watching it in 75mm and on my showing, there was a constant flickering on the corners in any bright daytime scene to the point where it gave me a migrane half way through. 

Just now, Gavin Feng said:

too bad it's like the lowest-grossing film of the franchise. I really think it need a break but they can't delay something like part II.

So much for the "will stabilize in 3rd weekend" myth. 

Anyway, MI7 is a biggest victim of the crowded July. SoF causes too much damage at the domestic. July is now projected to hit $1.3bn at least. That is among the highest July even compared to pre-Covid's July. This means the market has indeed stretched to its full demand limit.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

What formats have you seen it on?

AMC Dolby and IMAX were glorious but I tried watching it in 75mm and on my showing, there was a constant flickering on the corners in any bright daytime scene to the point where it gave me a migrane half way through. 

2 times in Regal RPX and 1 time in Cinemark XD. The Regal RPX was amazing, brand new 4K projector. The Cinemark XD felt like an older 2K projector. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

So much for the "will stabilize in 3rd weekend" myth. 

Anyway, MI7 is a biggest victim of the crowded July. SoF causes too much damage at the domestic. July is now projected to hit $1.3bn at least. That is among the highest July even compared to pre-Covid's July. This means the market has indeed stretched to its full demand limit.   

Is a 40% or less drop not "stabilizing"?