katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Women in China are using Barbie film to test their boyfriends and find out their thoughts on feminism. Hilarious.

What you told is already happened when Lost in the Star released,so is usual things.

And,some radical feminism think the real feminism shouldn’t build relationship with the man,and critic Barbie is too “soft feminism” movie lol.

Edited by Sophia Jane

8 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

So Barbie seems to have been banned in Middle East

Middle East censors saw the first 10 minutes of Barbie and immediately destroyed the computer they were watching on in spite.

They weren't ready for so much feminism... they were like many youtubers in the US.

32 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Thought Barbie was a sub-10 film in China before release so for it to end up in the 30-40 range is pretty great tbh even if didn't blow up like these first few weekdays seemed to indicate

No one saw Barbie doing relatively well in China. WB didn't push it and even local theaters didn't think much of it. You saw screen expansion during opening weekend to make up for the demand and great WoM. Missed opportunity by everyone involved 

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

Wrong. You would know that eventually it would show up on network TV.

Not necessarily that easy or quick back then, though. GWTW wasn't first shown on network TV until like 37 years after its initial release, and then it became the highest rated program in TV history up to that point. I think quicker turnaround started happening in the late 60s / early 70s with some movies airing like 3-4 years after initial release (which I think was pretty standard up through the 00s) and even then stuff like Airport and Love Story network broadcasts became among the highest rated programs ever at the time as well.

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Middle East censors saw the first 10 minutes of Barbie and immediately destroyed the computer they were watching on in spite.

They weren't ready for so much feminism... they were like many youtubers in the US.

The real reason is probably the doctor Barbie, who is trans. Spider-Verse 2 showed similar support with its Protect Trans Kids poster and that got banned too.

The particularly enjoyable thing about the backlash from the insecurity patrol over Barbie is that it’s a good film. They don’t get to scurry back into their safe zone, where they can take apart the kind of lazy crap that Disney has been pumping out with these kinds of messages.

They know it’s a good film. Everybody knows it’s a good film. And you can see their little heads just explode into smithereens that they can’t scream go “woke and go broke!”. Lovely.

Edited by FunkMiller

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The real reason is probably the doctor Barbie, who is trans. Spider-Verse 2 showed similar support with its Protect Trans Kids poster and that got banned too.

I saw a video on Tik tok dubbed in some russian like language and her voice is female, so i think 90% of the audience there (not just children or kids)  even doesn't know the actress is transexual. 

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I knew I recognized that actress from somewhere but couldn't place the face... Assassination Nation.

Very good in both Barbie and Nation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

I saw a video on Tik tok dubbed in some russian like language and her voice is female, so i think 90% of the audience there (not just children or kids)  even doesn't know the actress is transexual. 

The fact that she just pass like another Barbie is likely the reason why China (and some other countries) didn't ban the movie.

Edited by Kon

15 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

Need China give the insane boost then it will work,even TDK rise,Nolan is very popular and this movie is about fighting against Empire of Japan,so maybe it will.

Lmao 😂😂😂