setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

Biggest 2nd Monday   Biggest 2nd Wednesday

Rank Date Movie Gross Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
1 Dec 29, 2015 Star Wars Ep. VII: The Force Awakens $29,528,583 4,134 $7,143 $600,949,526
2 Dec 26, 2017 Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi $27,734,356 4,232 $6,553 $423,361,767
3 Dec 27, 2022 Avatar: The Way of Water $24,128,503 4,202 $5,742 $317,418,839
4 Dec 27, 2016 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $22,515,612 4,157 $5,416 $340,634,691
5 Dec 28, 2021 Spider-Man: No Way Home $21,346,817 4,336 $4,923 $516,531,392
6 Dec 29, 2009 Avatar $18,290,628 3,456 $5,292 $250,419,951
7 Jan 1, 2019 Aquaman $16,377,779 4,125 $3,970 $215,437,603
8 Jul 30, 2019 The Lion King $15,218,959 4,725 $3,221 $376,272,857
9 Jun 28, 2016 Finding Dory $14,666,974 4,305 $3,407 $311,166,968
10 Jun 7, 2022 Top Gun: Maverick $13,765,401 4,751 $2,897 $321,808,619

14 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Assuming Paramount is withholding Sunday Saturday and Monday preview numbers again? Why do they have to be like this

So they can roll them into and inflate the weekend total (again) I suppose 

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Total hogwash.

Captain Marvel is a rare example of a blockbuster that looks light on the surface and is enjoyable at a popcorn level but actually serves multiple viewings. It's a rich exploration of character the likes of which we hadn't had in a supe movie.

It's an existential superhero film that we hadn't really got before. The tagline was 'Discover what makes her a hero' - everything played into that notion.

The character is referred to as Carol, Capt. Danvers, Blockbuster Girl, Vers, Captain Marvel, and a number/codename at different points. Nearly every scene is a duologue between the character and one other person, with each of those other people perceiving the protagonist completely different from each other and wanting something something completely different from her. 

What makes her a hero is her ability to manage those expectations, embrace each of those identities and balance them...and to realise that every one of those identities are still her, other than the one that had been imposed based on deception, and prevented her from any other perception of self.

The victory moment was nothing to do with her powers- which she already had from the start of the movie - but eschewing that one personality that had been imposed by deception, and refusing to acknowledge the rules it had imposed on her.

The whole film was built around 'what makes her a hero' and marketed and delivered entirely on that promise.

I'm sick of pretending it isn't one of the best MCU movies. Most takes on it are awful and betray shockingly bad media literacy.

The response to this post as well as the response to a 'hilarious' one-line non-refutation that didn't even remotely attempt to point out a single problem with my argument says everything needed about media literacy.

"I wish I watched this movie" - mate, you did. Your inability to see that isn't the film's fault. It couldn't have led viewers more phase by phase through the narrative and the argument.

What it WAS however was a bit visually uninteresting and didn't have the kind of STUFF in that you pre-knew and liked (ie no cameos from the likes of past Spider-Men). Which is almost certainly what your actual collective problems were with it. But that doesn't sound interesting enough to say. 

The post I was responding to claimed that CM was a template for the issues of Phase 4. Given that the main problems with Phase 4 is a lack of focus or purpose, and whether you actually enjoyed it or not CM objectively has one of the cleanest stated-purpose-against-whats-in-the-movie relationships that a blockbuster could have, that claim is complete hogwash.

The legs on CM and the AM&TW box office completely refute the claims regarding its Endgame-conditional popularity. 

Why on earth crap on CM when the billion dollar club is full of ACTUAL bilge like BATB, Pirates 4, Alice, Transformers etc?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 3

2 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Yesterday Barbie led all movies with $15.25M, +2% from Monday, for a running total of $123.2M. She’ll cross the $400M mark on Thursday, on her 15th day in release, faster than the pacing of Top Gun: Maverick (18 days) and The Super Mario Bros Movie (18 days) to that domestic B.O. benchmark.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Yesterday Barbie led all movies with $15.25M, +2% from Monday, for a running total of $123.2M. She’ll cross the $400M mark on Thursday, on her 15th day in release, faster than the pacing of Top Gun: Maverick (18 days) and The Super Mario Bros Movie (18 days) to that domestic B.O. benchmark.

The only question now is will the Meg 2 preclude Barbie from hitting 60m this weekend due to stealing showings

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

The only question now is will the Meg 2 preclude Barbie from hitting 60m this weekend due to stealing showings

From Deadline

Warner Bros. has The Meg 2 opening this weekend, industry estimates are in the mid $20M range. The studio’s Barbie will dominate in its third weekend with around $55M-$60M.

I hope it end at the higher end - 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

The response to this post as well as the response to a 'hilarious' one-line non-refutation that didn't even remotely attempt to point out a single problem with my argument says everything needed about media literacy.

"I wish I watched this movie" - mate, you did. Your inability to see that isn't the film's fault. It couldn't have led viewers more phase by phase through the narrative and the argument.

What it WAS however was a bit visually uninteresting and didn't have the kind of STUFF in that you pre-knew and liked (ie no cameos from the likes of past Spider-Men). Which is almost certainly what your actual collective problems were with it. But that doesn't sound interesting enough to say. 

The post I was responding to claimed that CM was a template for the issues of Phase 4. Given that the main problems with Phase 4 is a lack of focus or purpose, and whether you actually enjoyed it or not CM objectively has one of the cleanest stated-purpose-against-whats-in-the-movie relationships that a blockbuster could have, that claim is complete hogwash.

The legs on CM and the AM&TW box office completely refute the claims regarding its Endgame-conditional popularity. 

Why on earth crap on CM when the billion dollar club is full of ACTUAL bilge like BATB, Pirates 4, Alice, Transformers etc?

Sure, mate. Movie was too smart. Thank God you decoded it for us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

Captain Marvel wasn't as bad as everyone makes it seem. I'll agree that it wasn't up to par with the very high quality marvel was putting out at the time, and I was somewhat disappointed by it, but it definitely wasn't bad. It was just an average enjoyable blockbuster film. Fun enough but somewhat forgettable 

• Like 3