setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

21 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I picked that up a couple of years ago when I was commuting on the trains without knowing anything, great book right there. 

I was at a thrift store one day looking for some Stephen King books that I hadn't read yet and I found a few John Grisham books as well. I think I bought 10 books that day for like $10 or something. Like you, I had no idea it was a follow-up to a Time to kill until I started reading it and recognizing a few names LOL and you're right it's an absolutely fantastic book and I think it would make a great movie as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Juby said:

I finally got to see Barbie and... wow. I can't remember the last time I was so embarrassed during a movie screening and wanted to leave the theater. The issues raised by the film are important and the message is right, but this is such an awkward and not fanny comedy :unsure::ph34r: It's sad that this is the movie that breaks the last TDK and HP7.2 records to become the new WB king. I don't get the hype and I don't get the legs. In a perfect world, M:I-7 is crushes it at the box office.

I thought it was a great movie personally

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Total hogwash.

Captain Marvel is a rare example of a blockbuster that looks light on the surface and is enjoyable at a popcorn level but actually serves multiple viewings. It's a rich exploration of character the likes of which we hadn't had in a supe movie.

It's an existential superhero film that we hadn't really got before. The tagline was 'Discover what makes her a hero' - everything played into that notion.

The character is referred to as Carol, Capt. Danvers, Blockbuster Girl, Vers, Captain Marvel, and a number/codename at different points. Nearly every scene is a duologue between the character and one other person, with each of those other people perceiving the protagonist completely different from each other and wanting something something completely different from her. 

What makes her a hero is her ability to manage those expectations, embrace each of those identities and balance them...and to realise that every one of those identities are still her, other than the one that had been imposed based on deception, and prevented her from any other perception of self.

The victory moment was nothing to do with her powers- which she already had from the start of the movie - but eschewing that one personality that had been imposed by deception, and refusing to acknowledge the rules it had imposed on her.

The whole film was built around 'what makes her a hero' and marketed and delivered entirely on that promise.

I'm sick of pretending it isn't one of the best MCU movies. Most takes on it are awful and betray shockingly bad media literacy.

If it makes you feel any better I did like Carol and thought her character alongside Fury was actually one of the highlights, they actually rather save the film from being a chore (and the cat). Everything else from pacing to sidecast to villains...not so much.

I doubt captain marvel does over 300 million domestic or does over 800 million WW in todays environment. It likely be seen as a pretty okay marvel.

Endgame hype benefit that film a ton as Captain Marvel was tied to Endgame.

Edited by Torontofan

33 minutes ago, Cap said:

If this is your dream, do I have a list for you: 30 For 30: Best Films of 1993 Retrospective

I hadn't realized how many great movies actually came out that specific year. Age of Innocence, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, The Firm, Philadelphia, Joy Luck Club, Much Ado About Nothing... wow.

I remember when my English teacher showed Much Ado in class when we were studying Shakespeare, and everyone kept laughing every time Keanu spoke. Love him in other stuff, but he was terrible in this. 

I wish we'd bring back quality period dramas that were made in the '90s, like Howard's End. So many other good ones, too. 

• Like 4

I’m pretty sure a Gal Gadot Wonder Woman is one of the DCEU’s better prospects. She is still very popular and fits the role well. Luckily for Warner, most people saw WW1984 it on streaming so I think they’ll be forgiving of its lackluster quality if the third one has a good trailer. Besides she is one of the most popular DCEU characters, and recasting Gal at this point would be pretty silly. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Promising start. I do think this has big potential, especially since it has practically no animation/family competition besides Elementals late legs going into August and September and reception has been stellar.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I would love to see more films like this as well. He wrote a follow-up to A Time to Kill called A Time for Mercy and I thought it was just as good as his original novel, A time to kill. We just need studios to be willing to take a few risks.

there is also a sequel to The Firm coming out. Wonder if Cruise would be interested in refusing his role 

• Like 1