setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

This Is what Warner will make for Barbie to push It from 718M to 721M.

thumbs-up-maverick.gif

I woud go to sing-alongs for Barbie and TLM. I went to a Rocky Horror sing-and-dance along, and it was great. WB should do extended cuts of Pink and Dance the Night where we can do the disco dance and hold hands for "I'm Just Ken." TLM woud be fun, too. 

• Like 1

AMC says they've had their biggest week ever and I 100 percent saw the signs at my local theater last night. They actually had the box office open on a non-holiday weekday, which never happens anymore. Concessions was out of all hot food besides popcorn and nachos. The candy was also pretty depleted, with lots of empty racks where the M&Ms/Snickers/Butterfingers normally are. Even the boxed candy supply was looking low.

18 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

looks like 300 million is back in the menu. There was no way Disney was going to let it get that close and not push it over. 

Who doesn't love the singalong version boost? I wonder if Disney has a formula about exactly when to deploy it, like is it based on percentage drop or if the gross is below a certain point, is theater availability a factor, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

I believe it has to do with a license agreement with BBC films, one of the co producers. Something similar happened with other Netflix movies they worked on like His House and The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind. Will probably be made available on BBC iPlayer, but it's annoying that British Netflix productions are consistently only taken off British Netflix.

I’m hoping it means it might finally be available to buy digitally. 

Why on earth Netflix don’t put their older major titles up to purchase digitally I’ve no idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

50% weekly drop - 562M Great total still

45% weekly drop - 596M Even better, but annoyingly close to 600

40% weekly drop - 638M The best total, im all for it, go Barbie!

35% weekly drop - 692M Fuck

@Brainbug when Barbie hits $640 million and the writing is on the wall 

chris pratt no GIF

• Like 1

Cinemark and B&B Theatres Break Company Box Office Records

Cinemark announced that the July 2023 domestic box office performance was the company’s highest-grossing month in company history, corroborating the company’s sentiment that consumer demand for theatrical moviegoing is as strong as ever. Its record-setting July featured a wide range of compelling film releases.

“This month’s record-setting result validates consumer enthusiasm for experiencing films in an immersive, larger-than-life, cinematic environment is as strong as ever,” said Sean Gamble, president and chief executive officer of Cinemark. “As has clearly been demonstrated time and again over the past two years, a theatrical release provides an elevated viewing experience that delights audiences, increases promotional impact, builds significant cultural moments, and generates enhanced value for all forms of content. I’d like to commend our studio partners and the creative community for producing such compelling content, as well as our remarkable Cinemark team for driving these results.”

B&B Theatres was tickled pink over the box office performance of the unlikely film duo of Barbie and Oppenheimer. Over the last few weeks, the company set records for biggest single day ever (Friday), two biggest opening weekends and opening weeks (overall sales), biggest ‘Treat Yourself Tuesday’, and forth biggest single day (Saturday) in the 99-year history of the family-owned company. 

B&B Theatres added, “The performance of these titles coupled with strong holdover content provides a powerful reminder of and testament to the unifying magic and staggering cultural reach of cinema. Thank you to all of our valued guests who helped to make these weeks THE BEST WEEKS!”

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m hoping it means it might finally be available to buy digitally. 

Why on earth Netflix don’t put their older major titles up to purchase digitally I’ve no idea. 

Because Netflix aren't a particularly sensible company

• Like 1

Just now, Sophia Jane said:

Barbie is locked for beating Mario

I find this a bit of a harsh verdict from the judges side. Mario after all jumped right on Barbie and then she smacked him out of pure instinct.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

The idea of a $130M RomCom was mocked when it was with Netflix, but, I honestly think it's a worthwhile experiment for a major studio. 

As one of the like four Token Women TM on this board, it's right to mock a $130M RomCom. That budget is insane. Particularly if you are spending like a third of it on A List talent, who mostly have already peaked. You're not going to get your money back, and therefore, not going to make anymore of them.

27 minutes ago, Kon said:

The reason why big budget blockbusters have undeserved women is because they could hardly offer something different in genres aimed toward women.

Like what? Women like big budget blockbusters.  They might not rush out on opening weekend, but they do go to them.  Or watch them at home later.  

Unless, are you talking about Disney being fucking cowards for not making Steve kiss all of the boy Avengers? Cause, then, yeah. Totally agree there. Big Budget blockbusters absolutely need more cute boys kissing.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

50% weekly drop - 562M Great total still

45% weekly drop - 596M Even better, but annoyingly close to 600

40% weekly drop - 638M The best total, im all for it, go Barbie!

35% weekly drop - 692M Fuck

700M it is then, with singalong re-release 

couldn’t give less of a fuck about little mermaid as a film but i’m happy cuz there is NOTHING that vexes me more than when a movie is like $1-2m away from the nearest $100m and there’s just no push to get it there. i’m just a nerd that way i guess but like. gnomeo and juliet made $99.967 million domestic. the studio couldn’t have found $33,000 in their pocket somewhere to push it along? disgusting!! 

• Haha 9

22 minutes ago, Cap said:

As one of the like four Token Women TM on this board, it's right to mock a $130M RomCom. That budget is insane. Particularly if you are spending like a third of it on A List talent, who mostly have already peaked. You're not going to get your money back, and therefore, not going to make anymore of them.

Like what? Women like big budget blockbusters.  They might not rush out on opening weekend, but they do go to them.  Or watch them at home later.  

Unless, are you talking about Disney being fucking cowards for not making Steve kiss all of the boy Avengers? Cause, then, yeah. Totally agree there. Big Budget blockbusters absolutely need more cute boys kissing.

I like when my rom coms have an immaculate kitchen that looks like 100 million bucks.

• Like 1

I think rom com is kinda dead as genre cause if you make something to appeal over 40 women under 40 women will say it's something obsolete in terms of female representations, love relationships etc.. if you make something for gen z and millenials older women will say it's something too modern and they don't feel it.

The great thing of Barbie is its feminism is basic... but non in a bad way, i mean it's very universal and not complicated, so the oldest women can appreciate it, while young women and gen-z love the more subtle level of meta satire about sexism.

It's not easy to imagine a movie can be a female blockbuster with such appeal for women from 14 to 70.

As I said for example The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a mega best seller book cult on tik tok books (so very young women) but it's also a story inspired by all the hollywood divas like Liz Taylor and Katherine Hepburn and set in the classic era of Hollywood. With a great cast and the right promo could have became a big summer release with multigenerational appeal.

Sadly it's going on Netflix. I hope the success of Barbie will impact in the future the market iand producers will try more women movies for the big screen .... I'm sure it will.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 3