Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

3 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Just move the Marvels to Deadpool's date if they want Imax so bad. 

Actually think Feb makes a lot of sense for Marvels; gonna assume Cap 4 takes DP 3's spot and under-performs while DP wins the summer with an empty August

8 minutes ago, TMP said:

It would lose IMAX again though. October 13 makes sense since it'd get at least a week, and it also gives Disney 2 weeks for The Creator 

edit: with Kraven gone, Flower Moon going wide on Oct 6 would work really well for The Marvels favor - gives it 2 weeks of IMAX too

Actually, Exorcist has  IMAX taken for the week of the 13th of October.

• Astonished 1

I just watched Mad Max: Fury Road and I am just blown away. There's now a new film at the top of my list of movies I wish I saw in theaters, right ahead of Interstellar.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 7
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

I throughly enjoyed TMNT, and am excited for sequel prospects, but thought the first 2/3rds of this film were overly reliant on pop-culture references, and while I pretty much understood and appreciated them all, it seemed like a crutch. But the dialogue and internal dynamics amongst the turtles was aces. I was never a “fan” of this franchise, but I do want to see more of these specific characters just having casual interactions with themselves and outsiders.

3 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I throughly enjoyed TMNT, and am excited for sequel prospects, but thought the first 2/3rds of this film were overly reliant on pop-culture references, and while I pretty much understood and appreciated them all, it seemed like a crutch. But the dialogue and internal dynamics amongst the turtles was aces. I was never a “fan” of this franchise, but I do want to see more of these specific characters just having casual interactions with themselves and outsiders.

The movie could have so easily felt "how do you do fellow kids" that hiring actual teenagers saved so much of the dialogue for me - it never felt artificial since I'm pretty sure they were ad-libbing things like "rizz"

I am not really sure what's really left to tell within the story of Shrek tbh, and after a bad third film and mediocre 4th one I had completely lost interest (Shrek2 is one of my favorite films of all time, fwiw), but considering how good a film they were able to make out of puss2, if they can pull something similar I can see this being *HUGE*

5 hours ago, hasanahmad said:

Are you new to box office stats ? 

Barbie has a wider age range when it comes to repeat viewings . It has a smaller run time , larger screens and lower age rating and it’s genre is more cinema friendly than Oppenheimer

. if both bring same percentage of repeat viewers, Barbie brings in higher gapped performances, if Oppenheimer has better percentage of repeat viewings , the gap statistically remains the same . 

when you consider Oppenheimer is rated r, is 3 hours . Is a talking in rooms biopic with minimal action , it is 100 million higher than what it should be if the directors name was not Nolan and reviews were not as good 

Nah, quite the opposite. I know too much to know the market isn't healthy when a smaller OW wasn't compensated by stronger leg. This isn't just to Oppenheimer, it is to every small film out there with great WOM like Margaret, AIR, the covenant. Their legs aren't stronger  when compared to some $100m+ OW opener with similar WOM.  And this isn't the same case as compared to pre-Covid. 

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Barbie is appealing to a really wide audience and lots of Oppenheimer’s audience are very “online” and more likely to vote online, maybe skewing the WOM indicators? Same cinemascore. 

Post-Trak also have Oppenheimer at 93% vs Barbie 89% positive. The only area that Barbie won over Oppie is a segment of audience (female<25) gave an A+ cinemascore to Barbie.

36 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Nah, quite the opposite. I know too much to know the market isn't healthy when a smaller OW wasn't compensated by stronger leg. This isn't just to Oppenheimer, it is to every small film out there with great WOM like Margaret, AIR, the covenant. Their legs aren't stronger  when compared to some $100m+ OW opener with similar WOM.  And this isn't the same case as compared to pre-Covid. 

Oppy is heading for legs similar to Dunkirk, even though Oppy opened 60% bigger than Dunkirk. It’s a great run. Honestly the legs are better than I expected given the lack of action, lack of humor, and 3 hour runtime. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Shrek 5 would be the best shot of dethroning The Lion King remake as the highest grossing animated film (it's actually a travesty that film is No 1) 

Good thing then that nobody considers it as Animation and Frozen 2/Incredibles 2 are the No.1 films WW and DOM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1