Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I'm not sure the buzz about Disney live actions is really dying. They're pretty criticized, but that was already happening when The Lion King makes 1.7B.

It seems Disney will try "Tangled" and "Princess and the Frog" live actions.

I'm feeling like pandemic + Disney plus (with a lot of bad  live actions) are changing things.

TLM underperformed for the reason we know but even with a more similar to the cartoon Ariel probably would have done like no more than 900M.

After beauty and the Beast in 2018 2019 i think 1.2B were possible. 

Anyway yeah the Lion king Is really loved. People love these characters so this Is why i think It won't flop.

Snow White meanwhile i see less than TLM for this. Maybe if they try to connect It to Barbie in the promo It could be a Little bit interesting for most people but seems like an announced flop.

Also Cinderella back in 2015 made "only" 500m after all. I think the most loved princess are the ones from 80s and 90s.

Maleficent worked because of the villain point of view and well Angelina Jolie. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I'm not sure the buzz about Disney live actions is really dying. They're pretty criticized, but that was already happening when The Lion King makes 1.7B.

It seems Disney will try "Tangled" and "Princess and the Frog" live actions.

TLK was 4 years ago though. I’d say interest has dropped since. 

Honestly Disney's 2024 slate doesn't look that bad if budgets are not massively inflated. Snow White will do fine with a budget similar to Cinderella. MCU movies outside of Deadpool 3 should break even if budget is not +$250m. Animated movies look very promising to, at least, match Elemental and not be another Strange World. Apes and Alien should pull some numbers and totally depend on their budget to turn a profit. Biggest question mark is Mufasa since I don't think it can be done with less than $200m and I am not sure an interest is there to break $500m WW. A similar drop to Alice through the Looking Glass will give the movie $485m WW. 

Edited by AN9815
  • Like 1

Looks like Barbie is picking up a lot of AMC Dolby screens this weekend with a few being split with Oppenheimer.

However, Gran Turismo is filling the Dolby screens during the main prime time (7pm or so) showing on the Dolby screens for both Friday and Saturday night. Looks like a decent number of seats are being sold for what (to me) seems like minimal awareness of the sneak previews.

I honestly don’t know if Sony has a good film on their hands but marketing has failed to get the word out or if they have a stinker on their hands so they are trying to get every dollar they can before bad WOM sets in for it. Either way, there are going to be some highly inflated numbers for it if/when they are included in the Thursday preview or Friday numbers next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Gran Turismo already has sold out shows for tonight in a few theaters. Another movie suffering from the lack of screen space. Very curious to see how much more it can sell in the few places that gave it bigger screens.

Gran Turismo opened in full at #5 here in the UK yesterday with just £160k. Maybe it’ll do better in the US. 

My local took screens away from Barbie and Oppenheimer for this, so I can see them being returned very quickly. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Looks like Barbie is picking up a lot of AMC Dolby screens this weekend with a few being split with Oppenheimer.

However, Gran Turismo is filling the Dolby screens during the main prime time (7pm or so) showing on the Dolby screens for both Friday and Saturday night. Looks like a decent number of seats are being sold for what (to me) seems like minimal awareness of the sneak previews.

I honestly don’t know if Sony has a good film on their hands but marketing has failed to get the word out or if they have a stinker on their hands so they are trying to get every dollar they can before bad WOM sets in for it. Either way, there are going to be some highly inflated numbers for it if/when they are included in the Thursday preview or Friday numbers next week.

I do think Sony have no real idea how to market GT, the 'This actually Happened' is not a selling point.

• Like 1