Eric is Anxious

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

I don’t mind long runtimes if it’s appropriate. Titanic is one of my favourites of all time. 

It gets annoying when they don’t need to be that long and they feel like they drag. If the film is great, it shouldn’t be a problem. 

2.5-3hr runtimes impact repeat watches though, you really need to set the time aside. 

I do enjoy a 90m film though. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Didn’t realize how far behind Barbie still is on JW. Thought it was closer. Still likely has some major advantage weekend holds coming up though, so I dont see an issue yet. 

JW had expansion which added around 10m, and soon july weekdays of JW  will fight with september weekdays of Barbie,

21 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

This is not what happened. I find these headlines weird. 11% said they didn't remember the last time. You would be surprised how people quickly forget these things. I am pretty sure many within those 11% went to theaters in 2022.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This is not what happened. I find these headlines weird. 11% said they didn't remember the last time. You would be surprised how people quickly forget these things. I am pretty sure many within those 11% went to theaters in 2022.

Yeah, these sorts of articles are clickbait. There's no proper breakdown of the methodology and I find it difficult to believe you can extrapolate to the larger moviegoing audience in any meaningful way.

Clearly we know Barbie broke out in a big way, given the numbers, but this is pretty meaningless.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Most people don't treat going to the movies as a big deal for the most part and with the number of movies people watch on streaming now it's genuinely hard for some people to remember if they watched something in theaters or streaming. Unless it was a special occasion or a get together with a larger group or a genuine IMAX or Dolby type screen which people can recall, most movies are just randomly relegated to memory.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

7 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Gone with the Wind has a running time of 3 hours and 58 minutes.

If you prefer something more recent, Titanic is 3 hours and 14 minutes. 

A couple of years prior to that, one of the greatest movies of all time, Heat, was released and it clocks in at 2 hours and 50 minutes. 

You don’t feel the runtime on epics, but most movies don’t need 3 hours. 

All right since we're talking run times and 3 hour runtime specifically, my two favorite three-hour movies are Titanic and Oliver Stone's JFK. You definitely do not feel the 3 hours in either one of those movies. JFK especially is edited maybe better than any film out there.

After watching the horror movie I mentioned last night, I finished off the evening by watching Basic Instinct. It's 2 hours and 8 minutes and it flies by. It's got a perfect pace and builds up the suspense masterfully. And by the way whatever happened to George Dzunda? That guy was a great supporting actor and he always added something extra to the film he was in. I really enjoyed him in Crimson Tide as the second or third in command. There's a lot of character actors and supporting players from the 90s that are no longer around. He was one of the great ones.

My perception is that blockbusters became longer in the 2010s and we still live in that world. I ran some quick (and probably dirty) math on the average running time (as stated in BOM) for the Top 10 of several years:

2022: 2h 20m

2012: 2h 20m  

2002: 2h 2m

1992: 1h 51m

However, after going through the Top 10 for each year, there's a big caveat. In 2012 and 2022 genres that usually clock in at shorter runtimes (comedies in particular) are underrepresented compared to the other two. So I think a lot of this is affected by changing popularity of movie genres - the downfall of comedies and the rise of superhero and epic fantasy films.

(I did this in 10 min before making lunch, so don't get angry at me if there's faulty math).

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Since we are discussing runtimes, this came across my timeline and my immediate thought was "absolutely not"

This movie truly needs 2h45. The book is quite extensive and has a structure in 2 parts.

15 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

My perception is that blockbusters became longer in the 2010s and we still live in that world. I ran some quick (and probably dirty) math on the average running time (as stated in BOM) for the Top 10 of several years:

2022: 2h 20m

2012: 2h 20m  

2002: 2h 2m

1992: 1h 51m

However, after going through the Top 10 for each year, there's a big caveat. In 2012 and 2022 genres that usually clock in at shorter runtimes (comedies in particular) are underrepresented compared to the other two. So I think a lot of this is affected by changing popularity of movie genres - the downfall of comedies and the rise of superhero and epic fantasy films.

(I did this in 10 min before making lunch, so don't get angry at me if there's faulty math).

I think it's because everything is spelled out now. One of my go to examples is "The Fugitive", the movie just dives into the murder and goes from there. If it was made or remade now, we will definitely have 10-15 minutes setting up the story of Kimble and his wife before the murder so we can sympathize with them more. The movie decides to let us discover Kimble's personality as it unfolds but now we would need all of that to happen up front.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think it's because everything is spelled out now. One of my go to examples is "The Fugitive", the movie just dives into the murder and goes from there. If it was made or remade now, we will definitely have 10-15 minutes setting up the story of Kimble and his wife before the murder so we can sympathize with them more. The movie decides to let us discover Kimble's personality as it unfolds but now we would need all of that to happen up front.

Movies start too early and end too late.  

The final bell in Rocky dings and then less than two minutes later, credits are rolling.  Fucking amazing.

• Like 1