Eric is Anxious

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

Rogue One gave us Andor, which is the best piece of Star Wars media since 1980 outside of video games. So not all bad. I agree that Rogue One the movie itself is good but disappointed me due to a lack of characters or follow-through. Godzilla and Rogue One share nearly identical strengths and flaws, but Godzilla is better. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

so what happeend to that movie that is so good it currently sits at 54% fresh on RT? The car race one? Where's preview number? 

LOL. As much as I find your dig at Voldemort funny, it's out in two weeks time in the US.

Flopping hard in the UK, though, if that helps...

Interesting stuff from Deadline: 

With more theatrical release date changes expected for the rest of 2023, one distribution head wisely remarked this week, “Watch Barbie and Oppenheimer play through Thanksgiving.”

Some box office trivia: Oppenheimer became the highest grossing film at Hollywood’s TCL Chinese Theatre in the venue’s 97-year history hiting $1.53M on Wednesday. That beats the previous record at the venue set by 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens which earned $1.51M after 15 weeks of release. Oppenheimer has been extended at the TCL Chinese Theatre in IMAX 70mm film through the end of August.

“It’s been a historic run for us at the TCL Chinese with weeks of sold-out shows. We’ve added 6am shows for the last four weekends to satisfy audience demand,” says Brett Fellman, executive with the TCL Chinese Theatres. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 3

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Interesting stuff from Deadline: 

With more theatrical release date changes expected for the rest of 2023, one distribution head wisely remarked this week, “Watch Barbie and Oppenheimer play through Thanksgiving.”

Some box office trivia: Oppenheimer became the highest grossing film at Hollywood’s TCL Chinese Theatre in the venue’s 97-year history hiting $1.53M on Wednesday. That beats the previous record at the venue set by 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens which earned $1.51M after 15 weeks of release. Oppenheimer has been extended at the TCL Chinese Theatre in IMAX 70mm film through the end of August.

“It’s been a historic run for us at the TCL Chinese with weeks of sold-out shows. We’ve added 6am shows for the last four weekends to satisfy audience demand,” says Brett Fellman, executive with the TCL Chinese Theatres. 

It's already likely that Barbie will still be in the top 10 by October given how thin the theatrical schedule has become for the fall. If it sticks around longer than that it'll depend on if anything from November clears out since that's when the next big blockbusters are arriving (so far Dune is the only one with indications that it's on the move, everything else is looking pretty firm re: their release dates).

• Like 1

Rogue One has a very mediocre first act, a very bad second act and then maybe the best third act of all Star Wars movies.

The movie is very well liked because of that third act. It is exactly the kind of epic space battle that everyone wanted when it was announced that we get new Star Wars films.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Rogue One has a very mediocre first act, a very bad second act and then maybe the best third act of all Star Wars movies.

The movie is very well liked because of that third act. It is exactly the kind of epic space battle that everyone wanted when it was announced that we get new Star Wars films.

Hands down the best Star Wars movie of the last 35 years IMHO. I'm glad it exists, despite all the problems with Disney's other Star Wars movies from 2015 to now. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Hmm...I'd argue it's the ground stuff that sets it apart.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

30 minutes of good and 90 minutes of bad still means the film is bad. And frankly, people overhype that final act way too much, espeically when we're still following a bunch of boring cardboard cutouts who you don't care about.

7 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Hmm...I'd argue it's the ground stuff that sets it apart.

Fair point. I think its both, since both the ground battle and the space battle are the most epic and well-crafted in all of Star Wars imo.

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's a waste to give Gareth Edwards good actors - even dead ones.

Yep. The Creator's going to be hilarious. Because unlike Edwards' other movies, where he works with good actors, he now has to use a bad one. Going to be a real treat of a movie, this one.

1 minute ago, Eric the Turtle said:

30 minutes of good and 90 minutes of bad still means the film is bad. And frankly, people overhype that final act way too much, espeically when we're still following a bunch of boring cardboard cutouts who you don't care about.

I think thats where many people differ in preference - me for example, i agree that the characters are shallow and you dont really give a shit about them, but i dont care about that anyway since im here fo the epic action sequences. Call it monkeybrain that acivates, but Rogue One is i think for many people a rare case, where the mediocre script/characters are not that big of a negative like in other movies.

Everyone already knew what was going to happen to all the characters, nobody watched Rogue One to be surprised in that sense, all most people wanted is that it delivered on the spectacle and that it smoothly connects to A New Hope.

And boy, did it deliver on the spectacle.

1 minute ago, Eric the Turtle said:

Yep. The Creator's going to be hilarious. Because unlike Edwards' other movies, where he works with good actors, he now has to use a bad one. Going to be a real treat of a movie, this one.

:whosad:

I badly want it to be good cause I love sci-fi and it does look visually impressive but I do fear you're right.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Everyone already knew what was going to happen to all the characters

Did we?

There had never been anything in major canon to say everyone friggin died. But that's besides the point, really. The deaths simply weren't impactful cause the characters were shit. Andor is doing a great job of making his death impactful, though - shame about everyone else wasted.

I do agree that on a spectacle level that third act is better than anything else in modern SW. Still doesn't make it a good movie (thought as I said, one of the better Disney iterations, along with Solo).

• Like 1