kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

Marketing will probably be focused on finally bringing Wolverine to the MCU, and eventually getting an Avengers team with Wolverine in it. That’s the real angle and hype, not the “one last time” stuff.

Well that honestly kinda negates the Wolverine effect altogether though if they’re implying he’s gonna be around a lot  again. 

22 minutes ago, Kon said:

Hollywood tend to have issues with minorities representation, because they are a minority in USA. However, this wouldn't apply to white women, because they are likely the bigger group.

Hollywood just doesn't seem to know how to appeal women in a way TV shows or streaming couldn't.

I wouldn't even blame sexism. There were many sexist countries that have media (like soap operas) mainly aimed at women.

There are like 3 only big movies for women all year, Barbie the Little Mermaid and Hunger ganes. So again women of every colour are ignored by Hollywood.

Also the success of the movie is cause It talks about women experience in a very generic and Universal way. I"m Little bit tired of this divisive narrative of a movie being for White women only cause the main actress is White, when the movie reflects also about this kind of stereotype, so not White women can really feel It this aspect too.

Every women loves Titanic. It's not like cause rose Is White women of other races doesn't feel her experience. 

If White women are most of the audience of Barbie It's cause the movie is so big in every target It just reflects the real composition of the population. The movie on social networks is really strong  on any kind of race, and it's big not only on White centric countries. It's making great numbers even upon arabic girls. 

Edited by vale9001

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

NWH isn’t the kind of film that holds up all that well when you’re not sitting with a large crowd that hasn’t seen it before. Still, from my observation, it seems FFH is the least popular of the trilogy. It’s the awkward middle child. 

I think DP3 would’ve definitely been a big deal if it had been the MCU film that followed NWH, but MoM already filled that role, so I don’t know if that’s going to deflate the hype at this point. I guess we’ll see. 

Even when I saw NWH, I liked it but didn’t love it. It gets bonus points for nostalgia, but it’s plot IMO pales in comparison to Spider-Man 2, Spider-Verse, or Homecoming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Deadline said Oppy is going over $700M this weekend. Awesome! 

UPDATE, SATURDAY August 19:  Oppenheimer is on its way to yet another milestone, poised to cross $700M global through Saturday. After five frames, the epic is expected to reach $718M with Sunday's numbers included. That will make it Nolan’s 4th highest-grossing film ever worldwide, overtaking Interstellar. It will also move into the No. 4 spot on the global chart for 2023 so far.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

There are like 3 only big movies for women all year, Barbie the Little Mermaid and Hunger ganes. So again women of every colour are ignored by Hollywood.

Also the success of the movie is cause It talks about women experience in a very generic and Universal way. I"m Little bit tired of this divisive narrative of a movie being for White women only cause the main actress is White, when the movie reflects also about this kind of stereotype, so not White women can really feel It this aspect too.

Every women loves Titanic. It's not like cause rose Is White women of other races doesn't feel her experience. 

If White women are most of the audience of Barbie It's cause the movie is so big in every target It just reflects the real composition of the population. The movie on social networks is really strong  on any kind of race, and it's big not only on White centric countries. It's making great numbers even upon arabic girls. 

To be fair, people outside USA don't tend to look for representation in American movies, so they won't be so affected by the protagonist race. After all, they likely have their own representation in their own shows.

That said, it's pretty likely the race of the main actress really affects the audience inside USA. I've understand you don't like this narrative, but it has been shown it has an effect in the audience.

PS: Barbie has been criticized of "white feminism" by some black women in social networks too.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

SM2

Homecoming

SM1

NWH

SM3 (it’s not “good” obviously, but it is more memorable and entertaining than the lower listed ones)

FFH

TASM

TASM2

Finally we’ve arrived at the “time to rank movies because what the hell else” part of the weekend thread, awesome. 

I can’t wait for the “it’s Star Wars time” portion of this weekend thread.

SM2

Homecoming

NWH

SM1

TASM1

FFH

TASM2

SM3

30 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Even in the US, the opening weekend diversity breakdown only had the Barbie audience at 42 percent white, IDK why people are acting like it's another Top Gun Maverick or A Man Called Otto.

33 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

SM2

Homecoming

SM1

NWH

SM3 (it’s not “good” obviously, but it is more memorable and entertaining than the lower listed ones)

FFH

TASM

TASM2

Homecoming

Spider-Man 2

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 3

Far From Home

Into the Spider-Verse

Across the Spider-Verse

No Way Home

Amazing Spider-Man

Amazing Spider-Man 2

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

18 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Even in the US, the opening weekend diversity breakdown only had the Barbie audience at 42 percent white, IDK why people are acting like it's another Top Gun Maverick or A Man Called Otto.

It's partially because people in this forum were constantly saying that white people don't go to see movies anymore.

It was an irritating excuse.

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

Change it to a more white immigrant story, like say Italian or something, and the reviews drop. I know people don't want to admit that critics do go softer on that stuff, but come on.

Elemental was an immigrant story but it got savaged at Cannes. 🤔

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

Change it to a more white immigrant story, like say Italian or something, and the reviews drop. I know people don't want to admit that critics do go softer on that stuff, but come on.

I agree with your first sentence, but not for the reason you think. It's not so much political inflation akin to what happened with the Femmebusters, but moreso that the Latino angle is the one major aspect making the movie stand out, or at least preventing it from being a complete slog. If it was spearheaded by more generic white people then it might've lost that edge, and therefore been liked a lot less by critics, resulting in lower scores.