kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

23 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Very, very few Latin American countries consider Jaime Reyes "iconic".

I'm sure people will carp about me and call me names on here still even though it's now statistically proven that "make Batman Beyond but cast Terry with a Latino actor" would've been a better path.

I always think Blue Beetle is at his most popular with Booster Gold.  And the Blue Beetle with Booster Gold is not Jaime.

Like other characters, they made the wrong movie with the wrong character.  This Blue Beetle should have only been introduced in his team, not solo.  The more iconic Blue Beetle probably could have been done in a buddy comedy with Booster.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lilmac said:

What are we looking at.....70% drop for BB? Maybe higher?

Black Adam - 59% drop
Shazam 2 - 69% drop
Flash - 72% drop

Looks like Barbie did a little better than I expected. Also became the 10th movie to break $20M in its 5th wknd (dom). Additionally, Oppy became part of the Top 5 IMAX WW club. Oppenheimer's performance is amazing considering it joins $2B+ behemoths and is a biography.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has the best  hold out of all of these, but yea, closer to Black Adam than the other two.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

The aggregate BO of this weekend coming at ~98m. The first sub-100m weekend in 5 months since DnD's OW back in early April. Of course actual may come in higher but I think the overall number will still a near miss to $100m.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Between sending their entire 2021 slate to HBO Max simu release and the premature Gunnverse announcement that doomed Black Adam's legs and the 4 2023 DC films, just HOW MUCH money did crap WB mgmt decisions lose?

WB has just been awful at managing the DC brand overall. And every time they score a hit outside of Batman with it, they go ahead and screw it up with its sequel some way, somehow.

Wonder Woman was an amazing hit, then they fucked it up with the covid release and the quality of the sequel.

Aquaman was a great hit too, then they got unlucky with the co-lead, timed the sequel badly and announced the end of its universe before the movie even came out, killing a lot of interest in it. Plus they let it leak that the quality isn’t great.

Shazam had a lot of potential to grow an family audience after being a surprising family movie type of hit, so what did they do? Kill everything that worked for it in the sequel, completely destroying the hero.

Black Adam could have been so much more if they didn’t screw the porch with the timing of certain announcements yet again, and still it did decently enough.

I won’t even get started on the Flash, which could have done great if the first couple of seasons of the TV show were anything to go by.

Bad decisions after bad decisions.

12 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it has the best  hold out of all of these, but yea, closer to Black Adam than the other two.

Yeah, I’m thinking about Black Adam’s drop too, but the thing about trying to guess the drop next weekend is Cinema Day. I have no idea how that’s gonna behave in a weekend with Cinema Day.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Sad 1

Turtles' run seems underwhelming both DOM and OS. Maybe there are some inherent, box office limiting factors in the foundations of the franchise itself, because the audience metrics are by all accounts good.

I don't know if the animated side of Turtle things will fare better with this but the live action side seems allergic to sequelization: despite The Secret of the Ooze coming within a year of the 1990 original, it collapsed from $202m to $78.7m (both worldwide figures), and as we all know, the 2014 reboot did well but the 2016 sequel flopped. Very odd. It seems people are one and done with any one iteration of (live action) Turtles.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Paramount is in the worst state and Disney can barely keep it together. Not a great time for the studios in general.

I hope that the end result is all of the studio conglomerates breaking up into pieces 

• Astonished 2

33 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The aggregate BO of this weekend coming at ~98m. The first sub-100m weekend in 5 months since DnD's OW back in early April. Of course actual may come in higher but I think the overall number will still a near miss to $100m.  

I know you’re doom and gloom most of the time but a five month streak is pretty damn good 

Blue Beetle  bombed because it's a Blue Beattle movie. The end. But I know that does not fill up multiple pages of a this forum  so let's go on and on for pages about stuff the casuals don't give a shit about besides the simple fact that they didn't give a shit about a blue beetle movie .  The failure of this means nothing and I mean nothing for Superman Legacy. 

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

25 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Blue Beetle  bombed because it's a Blue Beattle movie. The end. But I know that does not fill up multiple pages of a this forum  so let's go on and on for pages about stuff the casuals don't give a shit about besides the simple fact that they didn't give a shit about a blue beetle movie .  The failure of this means nothing and I mean nothing for Superman Legacy. 

It's still better than go on and on for pages about Spiderman movies.

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

Very, very few Latin American countries consider Jaime Reyes "iconic".

I'm sure people will carp about me and call me names on here still even though it's now statistically proven that "make Batman Beyond but cast Terry with a Latino actor" would've been a better path.

That’s stupid! Blue Beetle may have bombed but at least he’s not a race swap and an original POC character. He should have been introduced in a Teen Titans film and then spun off into a solo. He has the lore to support a franchise just sucks that everything went wrong with his big screen debut! 

Also hate how DC has just become the Batman show. WB has done such a horrendous job with the brand that only Batman can sell! James Gunn has his work cut out for him but if I were him I wouldn’t even do the likes of The Authority, Swamp Thing, Supergirl or another Batman film (when we already have Pattinson). DC can’t even sell their A-listers to audiences, outside of Batman, those B-listers are DOA as well (like Shazam, Black Adam and Blue Beetle).