grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

25 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Drake has been constantly releasing music and albums too but his stats are constantly declining compared to Taylor 

It’s no secret that rap music as a whole isn’t as strong as it was 5 years ago, when Drake was the biggest artist on the planet. Ever since the pandemic and TikTok‘s emergence pop music reclaimed its title as the most consumed genre, with Taylor on top. The same thing happened in the 00s, music by black artists was the dominant one during the first half of the decade just to be overtaken around 2008/09 (the big recession) by pop musicians.

The trailers before my Swift showing yesterday were, as expected, very female-centric: a new trailer for The Marvels emphasizing the "girl power" of it all, a "Viola Davis chewing on the scenery" heavy preview for Hunger Games, new Trolls trailer that begins with (and I'm not joking) "hey Swifties, you're next musical event is here" lmfao, Anyone But You, Mean Girls. Most of those previews are unlikely to end up online since they were obviously meant to be seen only in front of this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Gaga’s first era has more CSPC units than any 21st century album bar 21. Touring is only one metric to measure success. 

Well, I think that's a bad comparision for multiple reasons. For one, that album was released twice with sales counting towards the same unit. Secondly, it was released in an era when physical sales, while on a downward trajectory, still were pretty big. It wasn't until 1989 Taylor properly had transitioned into pop, and by then the physical sales market had gone down quite a bit. She's also at her peak of popularity now, and nowadays sales are down the drain. Adele is the big outlier the past 10 years in terms of actual sales, but she also appeals to an audience that's more likely to buy an album.

As for touring not being the only measure of success, that is true, but it's the single most important one these days by quite a huge margin. Anyone could potentielly buy an album for 15 bucks, not everyone would be willing to spend 150 bucks on a ticket to a concert. It truly shows how big the demand for an artist is. Taylor could probably have sold 50 million tickets to her current tour if it was possible to play in front of that many on a single tour. Lady Gaga has never ever been anywhere close to that kind of popularity.

Edited by Dale Cooper
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, circle said:

Where is that $93M figure coming from? Is the >100 mark out of the question? I thought there was already a large number of presales for Sunday

There are, but it’s not selling much beyond those presales, and Sunday will drop a good amount from the $33M Jat reported for Sat. $100M is gone, beating Joker is possible, should be   somewhere above $90M. $93M sounds about right to me, some room to come up a bit 

Anatomy of Fall's PTA ($25k) is higher than Triangle of Sadness ($21k). At first glance this look better but after closer look, I think Neon has some overstated optimism for their Sunday number. Also, Sadness opened in 10 locations, five more than Anatomy, so Anatomy merely matching Sadness' PTA just isn't good. 

Oct 13, 2023 - $58,679   5 $11,736   $58,679 1
Oct 14, 2023 - $34,698 -41% 5 $6,940   $93,377 2
Oct 15, 2023 - $32,000 -8% 5 $6,400   $125,377 3
  • Like 1