grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

I don't care about Swift's music, but it's weird people are questioning the movie's sucess when no one questioned TGM IMAX, Way of Water 3D, and Oppy IMAX showings that clearly hiked up their totals with PLF prices. 

I guess people won't make a fuss when guy focused movies use every trick in the book to become hits, but if a female focused movie makes so much it's not legit. Some passive aggressive sexism going on here.

Just be happy for her and laugh at how much she shamelessly tries to milk her fans.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

12 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Yeah, it's crazy that Lana and Gaga are so impactful, and both were discovered by the same man, Bob Leone around the same time.

Jack Antonoff probably has a lot to do with Taylor/Lana similarities too. And while we’re on that topic I just wanna say Cruel Summer is basically a Carly Rae Jepsen song. 

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

I don't care about Swift's music, but it's weird people are questioning the movie's sucess when no one questioned TGM IMAX, Way of Water 3D, and Oppy IMAX showings that clearly hiked up their totals with PLF prices. 

I guess people won't make a fuss when guy focused movies use every trick in the book to become hits, but if a female focused movie makes so much it's not legit. Some passive aggressive sexism going on here.

Just be happy for her and laugh at how much she shamelessly tries to milk her fans.

The biggest memes on this forum (Puerto Rico, fudge) were started by guy's movie fudging numbers. So what is the problem, again? I see Fudge and Puerto Rico jokes about million movies here but somehow if it's a female-centric than fudging should not be mentioend at all cause that would create a sociio-poilitical crisis. :facepalm:

Everyone is fudging. Some just do it better some worse. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The biggest memes on this forum (Puerto Rico, fudge) were started by guy's movie fudging numbers. So what is the problem, again? I see Fudge and Puerto Rico jokes about million movies here but somehow it's a socio-political crisis if the movie that's fudging numbers is female-centric. :facepalm:

Everyone is fudging. Some just do it better some worse. 

And just like Sound of Freedom this summer, it's easy to fudge b/c there's SO MANY presales in the bank for future dates.  A million off next Friday/Saturday would not be hard to find right now...

IF they wanted the weekend record and they aren't quite there...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And just like Sound of Freedom this summer, it's easy to fudge b/c there's SO MANY presales in the bank for future dates.  A million off next Friday/Saturday would not be hard to find right now...

IF they wanted the weekend record and they aren't quite there...

Exactly!

Musicals notoriously try to beef numbers with singalong crap. Sometimes it works (Frozen) sometimes it doesn't (TLM). 

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Damn, did I walk into ResetEra today or something?

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Exactly!

Musicals notoriously try to beef numbers with singalong crap. Sometimes it works (Frozen) sometimes it doesn't (TLM). 

Surprising TLM didn't get pushed past $300m, I guess Barbie destroyed any momentum it had though.

32 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Oh, it’s gonna be one of those weekend numbers. Puerto Rico to the rescue!

… and it may be a moot point in two weeks if (when) FNAF sets a new October OW record 

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

Oh, it’s gonna be one of those weekend numbers. Puerto Rico to the rescue!

… and it may be a moot point in two weeks if (when) FNAF sets a new October OW record 

Did you just say when?

oh my god omg GIF by Taylor Swift

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fanboy said:

Jack Antonoff probably has a lot to do with Taylor/Lana similarities too. And while we’re on that topic I just wanna say Cruel Summer is basically a Carly Rae Jepsen song. 

Cruel Summer has strong personalities of St. Vincent chords, I saw nothing near Carly Rae Jensen in it, especially no those distinct string synths Carly uses in her every album.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Surprising TLM didn't get pushed past $300m, I guess Barbie destroyed any momentum it had though.

Its momentum was destroyed well before that especially from Father's Day onward. Unlike Barbie where women showed up in full force for repeat business and thus closed the gap left by male lack of interest (the movie was made for women after all), TLM neither had men's interest (another movie for women) nor women ralled up behind it (it was a mid remake of a popular cartoon that still wasn't as big of a deal as female-oriented BatB animation and that showed in live action boxoffice). 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Did you just say when?

oh my god omg GIF by Taylor Swift

I worry about frontloading, especially with the streaming release and potential poor (late) reviews dragging down Sat & Sun. But a $40M+ opening day (including previews) seems to me to be in the cards, topping ERAS, Vemom and Joker 

• Astonished 1

24 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

6/30/14

263124230_716a8cac.gif?4

I was looking for another image specifically, one saying "6/30/14 NEVER FORGET" with Optimus Prime placed on top of a Puerto Rico flag background, but I was never able to locate it, so here's this.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester

Are people really complaining about TET opening not really being 90+ million because of ticket prices? Shouldn’t we just be happy theatres got a big injection on $$$ in what would have otherwise been an awful October. 

and not for nothing, that argument could then be applied to films that get IMAX/PLF vs films that don’t, films that cater to children and therefore have much lower ATP and films that don’t. Do we really want to go down that road?