grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

- N Anatomy of a Fall Neon $117,848   5   $23,570 $117,848 1

Meh limited opening for AOF, I think this is poorer than Triangle of Sadness last year although Sadness was in English whereas two third of AOF are in French and German. I don't see any hope for the movie to do decently in the next week limited expansion. Probably just going sub-5m. 

I seriously think distributor should start rolling BO from film festival circuit into their BO. I heard screening of AoF at NYFF was packed and crowded. That should be added few tens of thousands.

40 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

If Swift announced Eras as a limited 14 days in theaters run, it could have beaten Joker OW. I guess we will never know.

Not sure I follow your logic there. Isn’t it getting a limited run of 12 days (13 if you count last Thursday’s previews) across 4 weekends? It would have done the exact same amount on OW whether it was 14 consecutive days or 13 across 4 weekends, infact I’d wager it’d have done less if it was consecutive because people might’ve waited for midweek screenings.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Not sure I follow your logic there. Isn’t it getting a limited run of 12 days (13 if you count last Thursday’s previews) across 4 weekends? It would have done the exact same amount on OW whether it was 14 consecutive days or 13 across 4 weekends, infact I’d wager it’d have done less if it was consecutive because people might’ve waited for midweek screenings.

I meant first 14 days. Mons-Thurs included.

1 hour ago, Valencia said:

No.

It was supposed to go straight to streaming, and get a limited release just so it could wine Oscars.

It was later upgraded to wide release.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/killers-of-the-flower-moon-martin-scorsese-leonardo-dicaprio-robert-de-niro-apple-paramount-1202904816/

The film will get a wide theatrical release through Paramount before it becomes the biggest film title so far on Apple’s streaming service.

44 minutes ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

This is so bold. Apple+ isn't that popular to have these big budget movies. . There is no reason for Apple to have their own streaming service. 

Granted, based on Justin Bieber and Katy movies a lot of the gross are from the U.S. Like 25M out of 100M for Justin cam internationally

There's a little under  2 months away until the opening. She has a lot of older fans than Taylor because she is in her forties and have been famous since the 90s. There's a good chance they might buy tickets later

True but I don't think it will even reach 20m.

42 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Beyonce's concert film will not open as well as Taylor's concert film. There is no need even trying to pretend like there is a chance.

Beyonce movie will make $29m OW and $73M DOM like Justin Beiber movie and that's FINE.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

https://deadline.com/2023/08/killers-of-the-flower-moon-release-date-theaters-1235530528/amp/

Apple originally intended to release the film limited October 6, but the wide global launch certainly favored both Barbie and Oppenheimer this summer. It was not disclosed how many screens worldwide, and it is not out of the realm of possibility that the film could play one of the fall festivals. A run on Imax is also part of the plan.

49 minutes ago, Valencia said:

https://deadline.com/2023/08/killers-of-the-flower-moon-release-date-theaters-1235530528/amp/

Apple originally intended to release the film limited October 6, but the wide global launch certainly favored both Barbie and Oppenheimer this summer. It was not disclosed how many screens worldwide, and it is not out of the realm of possibility that the film could play one of the fall festivals. A run on Imax is also part of the plan.

I wonder what happened between May 2020 and August 2023 that may have changed wide release plans. 

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

The Taylor concert numbers WW prove she's more American centric than her fans claim

Or international audience simply isn't into concert movies. For example, they are super into Spiderman but not that into animated Spiderman since they have live action Spidey tradition and habit.

19 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I wonder what happened between May 2020 and August 2023 that may have changed wide release plans. 

Well, Oppenheimer busting out. 

That is what you meant, right?

No?

Must be the streaming bubble bursting then, I presume. 

Still no?

No idea then, can't come up with a thing here.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

(now that I got the snarky response out of the way...)

It feels like there are two separate topics here.

You are quite right that Killers of the Flower Moon wasn't initially slated to be a streaming only release.  Whether it was originally slated for a Knives Out 2 style release where it was in theaters for a very short time, and then only a fraction of them, we really don't know.  Even that first article you linked to way back in 2020 isn't saying all that much as "wide" can mean a whole lot of things so far from release.

I bring up KO2 because these initial stories can be awfully vague (for good reason!) and can be read all sorts of different ways.  Especially as time has a way of upending plans, as you alluded to.  On the other hand.... time has a way of upending plans as both Oppenheimer busting out and the dual strikes happening shows.

I do think that earlier this year, before Oppenhemier busted out, Apple was probably inclined for some sort of limited/platform/whatever release that eventually led into a wider release to the country before heading to AppleTV+.

But is that exactly odd for a festival type film that has Oscar hopes?  Then when Oppenheimer started to show signs of capturing popular attention it is plausible that plans changed enough to go from a limited to wide-ish expansion to pure wide(ish) release.

Still are right that it wasn't going to be "streaming only".  But, then again that doesn't mean it was always destined for a 3000+ theater release, either.

Edited by Porthos

3 hours ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

Christina doing one?  I think The Weeknd is gonna do one too. Lady Gaga was suppose to do one but its been a year

I'm manifesting it! I was tryna do her newest Las Vegas residency, but Voltaire is EXPENSIVE.

Like, some of us are broke folks! Be a little kinder. ❤️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taylor89 said:

I'm really scared for Beyonce..I really don't think it will even do more than 15m now.

I'm hoping she can muster up $25M.

No shade to anyone, but I also know the production and spectacle Beyonce can put on knowing she's a vocalist, entertainer, and dancer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Or international audience simply isn't into concert movies. For example, they are super into Spiderman but not that into animated Spiderman since they have live action Spidey tradition and habit.

Nah, Taylor just appeals to the US market in a way that she can’t replicate with many other markets bar some in Asia. 

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

But, then again that doesn't mean it was always destined for a 3000+ theater release, either.

I think Apple/Paramount were hoping they wouldn't have to wait until the 11th hour to go wide. They, along with every other studio, were hoping the return to theaters would be quicker. But it wasn't. When Oppenheimer showed that audiences were, in fact, returning, that gave Apple/Paramount the greenlight to go wide. 

But I would bet money the film was originally planned to go wide upon its completion. It just happened that wide distribution for an adult-oriented drama seemed riskier than a limited awards release, followed by streaming to boost subscriptions.