Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | TAYLOR SWIFT $31M Estimate, KOTFM $23M

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m at the theatre now for KOTFM. It’s got an interval too, so curious if there’s a natural pause as an act ends or it feels like it’s just been stopped. 

Had one a few times before. Notably for Dances with Wolves in 1990, Wyatt Earp in 94 and Hateful Eight. It worked great in the latter as Tarantino designed it for one. 

anyways, here we go. Very hyped. 

The only time I've seen it happen in a UK cinema was when I saw King Kong. It was a little abrupt. 

I spent the summer in Malta in 2008 and every movie I saw had an intermission. Even Kung Fu Panda which is like 90 minutes.

• Like 2

Disney just threw away $200M making that 3 hour Secret Invasion garbage show. Yet people are complaining about KOTF? Studio routinely piss away money, KOTF has to be better than Invasion, right?

Edit: Just saw Eric post, so won't mention Marvel again lol

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m at the theatre now for KOTFM. It’s got an interval too, so curious if there’s a natural pause as an act ends or it feels like it’s just been stopped. 

Had one a few times before. Notably for Dances with Wolves in 1990, Wyatt Earp in 94 and Hateful Eight. It worked great in the latter as Tarantino designed it for one. 

anyways, here we go. Very hyped. 

Don't think Scorsese planned for an intermission, but here in Italy we have them for every film so I'm used to somewhat abrupt 5min breaks.

They were taking the piss when I saw flower moon. the usual fifteen minutes of adverts, then EIGHT trailers and then like ten more adverts. Wanted to make sure I was sat for the full 4 hours. some of the old people in the crowd probably got DVT.

29 minutes ago, Eric Mouse said:

Intermissions for big movies is something I kind of get, though I don’t think you need to have it. But what is the point of an intermission for 90 minute movies? People can sit still for that long quite easily.

Sell concessions. Theaters make bank on popcorn, drink and meal sales in India during the intermission. Every movie has one here, Hollywood movies are just stopped at a random moment.

15 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

So… 

Are there, like, any weekend numbers in this thread?

Low, low, lower, and lowest...looks like another under $100M DOM total at the BO for all movies, although it's close - Taylor probably is keeping theaters afloat...

Nightmare before Christmas's re-release being the biggest high point, so you know it wasn't great...

• Founder / Operator
10 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I can’t say anything about KotFM, but both Oppenheimer and Avengers: Endgame fly by as far as I’m concerned. Then there are films that drags. Peter Jackson’s King Kong as one of them, and I’d kinda argue Dune too.

I was a big Kong defender back in my youthful college days, but you're definitely not wrong about the pacing.

I need to watch Dune again. Loved it but only saw it once.

• Like 2

Just ok limited expansion for Anatomy of fall. Not that much different from sadness last year. Even with fantastic 93% verified audience score, I am not sure if this can hit 5m. Still an awesome number for a two-third non-English movie but I was hoping more because the American trailer or marketing mostly “hide” away its non-English dialogue. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Just ok limited expansion for Anatomy of fall. Not that much different from sadness last year. Even with fantastic 93% verified audience score, I am not sure if this can hit 5m. Still an awesome number for a two-third non-English movie but I was hoping more because the American trailer or marketing mostly “hide” away its non-English dialogue. 

These kinds of movies are tricky now; they need the good old Oscar bump (Triangle of Sadness would have surely gotten one, since it earned a Best Pic nom), but since the Oscars are now in March and everything is more dragged out, that's not really a thing anymore sadly. See: Women Talking last year. 

In short I think the Oscars need to go back to their February slot, noms announced in the beginning of January so that smaller movies can ride those noms and see some more meaningful bumps.

First weekend box office numbers from https://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart

Weekend Domestic Chart for October 20, 2023

Register with The Numbers for free to see additional data and customize this chart.

← Previous Chart Chart Index  
    Movie Title Distributor Gross %LW Theaters Theaters
Change
Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Weekends In
Release
1 (8) The Nun II Warner Bros. $887,000 -45% 1,364 -764 $650 $85,308,071 7
2 (-) Dicks: The Musical A24 $377,653 +299% 345 +330 $1,095 $826,388 3
3 (-) Barbie Warner Bros. $260,000 -45% 417 -255 $624 $635,680,031 14
4 (-) Anatomy of a Fall Neon $154,399 +31% 14 +9 $11,029 $333,891 2
5 (-) Stop Making Sense Cinecom $61,915 -64% 89 -169 $696 $4,721,333 2,036
6 (-) Talk To Me A24 $30,829 -43% 25 -35 $1,233 $48,249,468 13
7 (-) The Royal Hotel Neon $29,000 -78% 90 -183 $322 $766,453 3
8 (-) Divinity Utopia $9,944 +94% 3 +2 $3,315 $16,170 2
9 N Another Body Utopia $5,573   1   $5,573 $5,573 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TomThomas said:

3-4 episode streaming series with at least twice lower budget and without DiCaprio ans De Niro. Cool.

Disagree, as a movie is how it showld be, its basically a Streaming service promo with this Box  Office but well... It's not Barbie or Oppenheimer. And never was meant to be maybe. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best