Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | TAYLOR SWIFT $31M Estimate, KOTFM $23M

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Just ok limited expansion for Anatomy of fall. Not that much different from sadness last year. Even with fantastic 93% verified audience score, I am not sure if this can hit 5m. Still an awesome number for a two-third non-English movie but I was hoping more because the American trailer or marketing mostly “hide” away its non-English dialogue. 

It's coming out at a bad time, and the NYFF screenings were all sell outs that took away 75k or so from the film's box office. I still need to see it but the current showtimes + runtime don't make it a convenient watch.

22 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Just ok limited expansion for Anatomy of fall. Not that much different from sadness last year. Even with fantastic 93% verified audience score, I am not sure if this can hit 5m. Still an awesome number for a two-third non-English movie but I was hoping more because the American trailer or marketing mostly “hide” away its non-English dialogue. 

I haven't seen any marketing for this tbh. Which usually tends to be an issue with marketing campaigns that are pretty much exclusive to social media.

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Just out of curiosity.

3 female driven movies (70 to 80% female audience) The Little Mermaid, Barbie and The eras tour have now made and incredible 1.065B domestic this year.

Waiting for Hunger Games and Beyoncé.

Females are an untapped audience. They will certainly show up if an appealing blockbuster is aimed at them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

y'know there's a lot of limited series i've watched and thought "this could've just been a movie" but i've never watched a movie and thought it'd be better as a limited series.

Now you've got me thinking, b/c I have watched a few movies like that, where so much was packed in...

For the most recent example (and I hate that it's Marvel), but Eternals would have been MUCH better as a limited series.  I thought that while watching it b/c there was just too much backstory, too many characters, and too much rushing to get everything needed for the greater universe "done"...it was like the reverse of most of their early D+ series...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Females are an untapped audience. They will certainly show up if an appealing blockbuster is aimed at them.

Can Imagine Wish will be female driven too?. But probably with a split of like 60-40 or 65-35.

Edited by vale9001

The cinephile crowd rushing out immediately clearly led to some frontloading for Flower Moon with that 13% Saturday drop. Still, given the state of the adult drama circa 2023, could've been a worse launch for it. Let's wait and see what staying power is like first.

Over 50 americans don't watch movies anymore. Why? The 3 smashes from july to now (Barbie, Oppenheimer and TET) made money because of young people. And even Scorsese audience is very young (not because in this case is very popular in the target but because old people didn't go so the few young are still the more).

In my country this is opening with a very solid first weekend (1/10 of US when the market is 1/30), last Agatha Christe Poirot sold more tickets than Guardians 3. This cause old people still go to theaters, not only the young. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Over 50 americans don't watch movies anymore. Why? The 3 smashes from july to now (Barbie, Oppenheimer and TET) made money because of young people. And even Scorsese audience is very young (not because in this case is very popular in the target but because old people didn't go so the few young are still the more).

The older set never really turned up for Scorsese films en masse. 10 years back, there were a lot of reports of older men dramatically walking out of Wolf of Wall Street screenings.