Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | TAYLOR SWIFT $31M Estimate, KOTFM $23M

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

TBH The Last Duel would have flopped even if Leo had been it instead of Matt Damon. 

I think the movie would have made way more money with Leo in it than Matt Damon. Like way more. They are both "peers" but if Matt Damon starred in Killers of the Flower Moon, how would it have opened? assuming the release was exactly the same. 

1 minute ago, Curiouser and Curiouser said:

Paramount's losses are being covered by Apple. I don't know how much evidence people need to get the picture lol. This wasn't made with a theatrical business model in mind. 

This and Napleon both. As I said I think Argyle is the first Apple movie that is being pushed to be a potential hit with the GA/casuals. 

10 minutes ago, Curiouser and Curiouser said:

Paramount's losses are being covered by Apple. I don't know how much evidence people need to get the picture lol. This wasn't made with a theatrical business model in mind. 

Instead of spending 200m in 5-6 movies that may come back all shit and lose money, why not just focus and invest in one movie that you know almost certainly is gonna be great? Since either way you are burning the money anyway. 

probably that is what apple has in their mind. 

Edited by titanic2187

16 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Also, Scott Derrickson is one good dude and an excellent filmmaker:

Basic stuff.

I've found that the best and most optimal way to experience a theatre viewing is to have a dopamine fast and a cardio session beforehand. Really helps the clear/empty the mind and enhance the experience.  

Yeah that’s not a good OW for KOTFM. I really thought a Leo/Scorsese movie at this point could pull double that. Unless the legs are insane, this is going to be their first film to miss the 150 adjusted mark, let alone 100. Opp really was a huge anomaly among adult fare post covid. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

I've found that the best and most optimal way to experience a theatre viewing is to have a dopamine fast and a cardio session beforehand. Really helps the clear/empty the mind and enhance the experience.  

If you can squeeze an insanity session in before then you get carry-over runner’s high which can enhance even the shittiest movies. I remember enjoying jl ‘17 because my endorphins were going berserk throughout the whole thing. Best part is that BeachBody is an MLM piece of shit, so you probably should download the workout illegally lol - it’s like an easy, free W

• Like 1

I knew Killers of the Flower Moon wasn't going to make as much as Oppenheimer, but thought it would end up making more in total than Oppenheimer's opening weekend. Even a 3x multiplier falls short of $82.4 million.

Scorsese got to make the movie he wanted to make and got Apple to pay for it. They aren't completely stupid at Apple but saw the viewing figures of CODA, not even a Best Picture win could drive that many eyeballs to it. They knew they had to step their game up if they wanted to keep making movies, so they're funding awardsy lavish productions from auteurs.

28 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I feel like most of the people saying this was a bad opening for Killers have not seen it yet. Once you do you will know anybody but leo this would have done far less without him. 

I mean… I guess, but how much “less” than a 23 OW would we really get? Like I’m sure it would still pull 15 or so. The real test will be to see if it can have exceptional legs, in which case we can go back to saying maybe Leo was still a draw here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Sorry but how is $23M a testament to Leo’s power? If it opened to $30M I would say sure, but come on. 

Ummm how much would this have made swapping him out? Never mind the fact he couldn't promote it in any meaningful way since pre-strike. I don't know how much that made a difference but my guess is it made a little bit of a difference. Possibly enough to get in the 30 million range or so? maybe. 

I think people have forgotten that over 20 million for an original adult drama is usually considered a great opening for that type of film. Then layer in that it's incredibly long and depressing.