Bob Train

FNAF Weekend Thread (10/27-10/29) | $80m Opening Weekend | Blumhouse's Biggest Opener Ever | $14.7m The Eras Tour | $9.3m KOTFM

People want recognizable IP that hasn't been mined yet. People are done with 10+ years old franchises.

Mario, Barbie and FNAF all feel fresh and different yet are based on very recognizable material. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People want recognizable IP that hasn't been mined yet. People are done with 10+ years old franchises.

Mario, Barbie and FNAF all feel fresh and different yet are based on very recognizable material. 

Indeed. No one cares about Fast and Furious, Transformers anymore. They are so 2013.

Barbie is the new Fast and Furious. Mario is the new Transformers.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Giorno said:

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried a Halo movie

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

There was a TV show, not very well received by fans though 

Just now, robertman2 said:

They were trying to get one off the ground for years

Produced by Peter Jackson, no less.  Never escaped Development Hell and eventually sorta kinda not really morphed into the not-exactly-beloved Halo TV series.

Live-action[edit]

Unproduced feature[edit]

In 2005, Columbia Pictures president Peter Schlessel began working outside the studio system to produce a Halo film adaptation. Alex Garland wrote a script,[128] which was then pitched to studios by couriers dressed as Master Chief. Microsoft's terms required $10 million against 15 percent of gross; most studios passed, citing the lack of risk for Microsoft compared to their large share of potential profits. 20th Century Fox and Universal Pictures decided to partner to produce the film, paying Microsoft $5 million to option the film and 10 percent of grosses.[129] Peter Jackson was slated to be the executive producer,[130] with Neill Blomkamp as director. Before Blomkamp signed on, Guillermo del Toro was in negotiations to direct.[131]

D. B. Weiss and Josh Olson rewrote Garland's script during 2006.[132] Pre-production of the film was halted and restarted several times.[133] Later that year, 20th Century Fox threatened to pull out of the project, leading Universal to issue an ultimatum to Jackson and Schlessel: either reduce their large "first-dollar" revenue deals, or the project was ended. Both refused, and the project stalled.[129] Blomkamp declared the project dead in late 2007,[134] though Jackson insisted the film would still be made.[135] Blomkamp and Jackson collaborated on District 9, but the director told /Film that he was no longer considering working on a Halo film if the opportunity arose.[136] The rights for the film have since reverted to Microsoft.[137] Blomkamp would produce a series of live-action shorts as promotion for Halo 3, collectively titled Halo: Landfall.[138]

Paramount+ television series[edit]

Main article: Halo (TV series)

On May 21, 2013, Xbox Entertainment Studios and 343 announced that a live-action television show of Halo would be produced with Steven Spielberg serving as executive producer through what is now Amblin Television. It was originally titled Halo: The Television Series. Neill Blomkamp was rumored to be directing the pilot for the series.[145] Xbox Entertainment Studios shut down in 2014. Later, it was announced the series would premiere on the American premium cable network Showtime.[146] It had been in development hell for many years. On March 1, 2018, it was announced that the series would start filming in late 2018, with speculation of the series airing in mid- to late-2019.[147] On June 28, 2018, Kyle Killen was hired as showrunner and executive producer and Rupert Wyatt as director and executive producer.[148] On December 4, 2018, Wyatt stepped down as director and executive producer from the project due to scheduling conflicts.[149] On February 21, 2019, Otto Bathurst replaced Wyatt as director and executive producer.[150] On April 17, 2019, it was announced that Pablo Schreiber was cast as Master Chief.[151] On August 2, 2019, Deadline reported that Natascha McElhone had been cast in two key roles: Cortana and Dr. Catherine Halsey, Bokeem Woodbine was also cast as Soren-066, along with Shabana Azmi as Admiral Margaret Parangosky, and Yerin Ha as Kwan Ha. It was also announced that the series would be released in early 2021.[152] Filming was incorrectly reported to have officially begun in October 2019.[153] In November 2020, Jen Taylor, who voiced Cortana in every major game in the Halo franchise, replaced McElhone in that role.[154] It then was reported that filming began in February 2021 and that ViacomCBS was shifting the show from Showtime to Paramount+[155] with Showtime retaining production credits. The series premiered on March 24, 2022.[156]

• Like 1

Not sure about the other trackers, but Freddy’s is POPPING tonight around here. Even if I wanted to see it in town, I couldn’t because every single show today was sold out. Every single one.

This really feels like the biggest horror event since It (2017) bar none.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Produced by Peter Jackson, no less.  Never escaped Development Hell and eventually sorta kinda not really morphed into the not-exactly-beloved Halo TV series.

Microsoft also, somewhat rightly from their perspective, said that if they are going to make a movie of their huge property with a huge investment they want the director to be Peter Jackson and not a random no-name.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Not sure about the other trackers, but Freddy’s is POPPING tonight around here. Even if I wanted to see it in town, I couldn’t because every single show today was sold out. Every single one.

This really feels like the biggest horror event since It (2017) bar none.

This is what I wrote in tracking thread 

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Anyway ...

The real reason I popped in here was to say I did a spot check of the Tampa/St Pete market, and there aren't whole of seats lets for FNAF for the 9pm and later shows (which implies the earlier ones were basically all full). Except for the shows that were very clearly added recently, (9:31 LOL), which if shows are being added last minute speaks very highly of strong demand and walk-ups

One market, partial if not anecdotal sample, but tl;dr sales look very strong

I’ll think I’ll be more surprised if that $34M total OD Universal estimate verifies than if that’s just the TFri number 

Edited by M37

64% delta between FNAF's RT score (25% ) and verified audience score (89% with 500+ reviews)

Holy shit, even Dominion only has 49% delta, Meg 2 45%, Sound Of Freedom 41%.

The fans are eating this movie up, 88% verified score is excellent for a horror movie. That's on par with Saw X.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2nd weekend drop is better than expected. 

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

64% delta between FNAF's RT score (25% ) and verified audience score (88% with 500+ reviews)

The fans are eating this movie up, 88% verified score is excellent for a horror movie. That's on par with Saw X.

Yup, and what's good is that the audience score is genuine and not some dumb astroturfing/brigading nonsense

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

64% delta between FNAF's RT score (25% ) and verified audience score (88% with 500+ reviews)

I’ve noticed that too, insane. And now people are saying walk-ups are way better than expected? I feel like this movie is giving fans exactly what they want!

This really has turned into an event for people of a certain age, hasn’t it?

Gonna go ahead and say this gets closer to 100M this weekend than people are expecting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is giving me Mario vibes. I remember when people acted like Mario was gonna be some front-loaded event just because it started with a 46% RT. Did they except "Sorry Jimmy, we can't go watch Mario because this 50-year-old man on RT says it sucks"?

Edited by HummingLemon496

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This is giving me Mario wibes. I remember when people acted like Mario was gonna be some front-loaded event just because it started with a 46% RT. Did they except "Sorry Jimmy, we can't go watch Mario because this 50-year-old man on RT says it sucks?"

Yeah tho tbf Mario wasn't on streaming same day

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

@Relevation was completely correct about this movie breaking out. This specific user is great at predicting big break-out hits (Mario, Barbie, and now FNAF)!

Don't forget TET's historic 300m OW. 😉 

(just busting your chops very slightly as everyone has misses)

• Haha 1