Bob Train

FNAF Weekend Thread (10/27-10/29) | $80m Opening Weekend | Blumhouse's Biggest Opener Ever | $14.7m The Eras Tour | $9.3m KOTFM

12 minutes ago, tdangie said:

Not to be conspiratorial, but do you think Disney has more faith in this than the Marvels currently? I saw some ads for the Marvels a few weeks ago, but it feels like I'm getting way more promos for Wish right now... It's weird since Wish comes out much later, but it could be my algorithim too lmao 

They definitely have a lot more confidence in it now at least, they can see the pre-sales. Plus, I think the plan for Wish was for it to always be big, riding on the wave of the 100th anniversary of Disney.

The movie is literally made as a homage to the classic Disney animations, a lot of Easter eggs apparently, and it has a very classic Disney story structure with music, side-kicks, a fun villain, a princess, etc

But yes, algorithm plays a big part, I see a lot more stuff for The Marvels myself than I do for Wish.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

All signs pointing to Wish breaking out big. Charlie has indicated the early pre-sales are great, Shawn has also expressed confidence in it and the marketing seems to really be doing its job.

I'm betting on it being the biggest Disney animation since Frozen 2.

I thought Charlie said early presales are great in his mini-theater tracking (which covers one DOM geographic area) - not that they are "great" everywhere DOM...

I would be a little gun-shy for going big til you see if final sets can even match a big weekend.  MTC 2 did not set it big to start (and that's the "breakout family movie" MTC) - now, they didn't for FNAF either, and then fixed their mistake literally week-by-week of presales...but I don't think early presales at MTC 2 are warranting that kinda move yet.

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I thought Charlie said early presales are great in his mini-theater tracking (which covers one DOM geographic area) - not that they are "great" everywhere DOM...

I would be a little gun-shy for going big til you see if final sets can even match a big weekend.  MTC 2 did not set it big to start (and that's the "breakout family movie" MTC) - now, they didn't for FNAF either, and then fixed their mistake literally week-by-week of presales...but I don't think early presales at MTC 2 are warranting that kinda move yet.

Fair enough, but even with all that I'm honestly betting on it going over 200M DOM, it feels like the signs are point that way. We'll see though

35 minutes ago, grim22 said:

New RT conspiracy just dropped

This isn't...the first time something like this has happened. When WB owned it there was a lot of criticism when they decided they would "reveal" the Justice League RT score on their podcast. Which they then never have done for any other movie.

47 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This isn't...the first time something like this has happened. When WB owned it there was a lot of criticism when they decided they would "reveal" the Justice League RT score on their podcast. Which they then never have done for any other movie.

WB still owns a 25% stake -  the same it held when JL came out in 2017.

Since January 2010, Rotten Tomatoes has been owned by Flixster, which was in turn acquired by Warner Bros. in 2011. In February 2016, Rotten Tomatoes and its parent site Flixster were sold to Comcast's Fandango ticketing company.[10] Warner Bros. retained a minority stake in the merged entities, including Fandango.[1]

Think Deadline first number be in high 30s for OD and weekend 75+.

On second thought, since this is a UNI film, UNI will likely provide their own projection and Deadline will just use that. @Shawn should have numbers before Deadline publish.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Deadline

Why the discrepancy in what we reported in previews and where they came out? Hispanic and Latino walk-up business at Cinemark theaters was huge in the South, with the demo winning the night at 42% to 38% Caucasian. The 18-24 sweet spot demo repped 45% of the crowd while the 13-24 set repped a massive 75% of the audience.

Dog What GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

$20m seems a lot for Blumhouse but still will be profitable for Universal. 

I wonder if Jason Blum will stick with Universal as his first run deal runs out next year or will we see attempts from rival studios?

I think Matthew Lillard mentioned before the strikes that he signed a three-picture deal for FNAF with Universal, so I'm assuming that they have the rights to distribute the future sequels if when they're greenlit. 

Side note: DAMN hugee turnout for the younger crowd (as expected)

Edited by tdangie
  • Like 1

Just now, tdangie said:

I think Matthew Lillard mentioned before the strikes that he signed a three-picture deal for FNAF with Universal, so I'm assuming that they have the rights to distribute the future sequels  if when they're greenlit. 

I imagine anything that was distributed by Universal stays with Universal but Blumhouse's track record is enough for studios to grab him. That being said, a number of Blumhouse films have been with other studios like Fantasy Island and Whiplash.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

$20m seems a lot for Blumhouse but still will be profitable for Universal. 

I wonder if Jason Blum will stick with Universal as his first run deal runs out next year or will we see attempts from rival studios?

It broke even from the sale of streaming rights alone. Add in Peacock money, say $300m+ in global BO, it is shaping up to be one of the most profitable of the year.