XXRDJisDoctorDoom

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

42 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

This discussion is just making me want to rewatch Shang-Chi. That was such a good movie.

Brad Allen man. That fucking JACKET FLIP

The only way it could have been cooler is if the jacket has ended up on him on the other reversed blue side but without just recoloring it in post I don't think that would have been possible the way they did it.

On the Shang Chi after credit (which I also agree was kinda plot dump awful) - in the info dump, there's a BIG worry that a "message is going out somewhere"...and that's it.  Where has that come up again since 2020?  And if it's on D+, it doesn't count (although I've watched all D+, save a few episodes of Loki, and I don't recall anything related to this).  So, it is just dropped...totally...

I'm curious as to what else will fall under Spotlight. Iger mentioned way back that they may have a separate branding specifically for Marvels R rated stuff, maybe it's that? Maybe Blades next? But Deadpool is R and that plot doesn't seem to fit the grounded part they mentioned before. X-Men 97 isnt related to the MCU continuity whatsoever, is that included? Or is it just for the miniseries? It'd be nice to have a bit of a clearer idea.

Because it kind of sounds like an answer to DCs Elseworlds plans but theyve literally never mentioned it being an idea before this week...maybe at the red carpet for The Marvels they'll ask Feige about it more.

34 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

On the Shang Chi after credit (which I also agree was kinda plot dump awful) - in the info dump, there's a BIG worry that a "message is going out somewhere"...and that's it.  Where has that come up again since 2020?  And if it's on D+, it doesn't count (although I've watched all D+, save a few episodes of Loki, and I don't recall anything related to this).  So, it is just dropped...totally...

Almost every Phase 4 credit scene has received no follow-up yet. The number of dangling threads from those is a bit staggering at this point. The signal from the ten rings, Shang-Chi's sister's new criminal empire, Harry Styles, that cursed sword thing, Venom goo, Charlize, the Ted Lasso guy, baby T'Challa, evil Sharon Carter (ugh), and Moon Knight's third personality have all gotten no follow-up and there's no indication when, if ever, any of these will pay off.

I'm sure at least a few of these will eventually, but why tease projects that could be five years away instead of things already on the schedule?

• Like 2

Before almost all of marvels post credit scenes tied directly into the next sequel or the next marvel movie or into the grand thanos plot.

Phase 1-3 post credit scenes where amazing.

Those post credit scenes literally gave new marvel films tons of goodwill and promotion and tie in.

Captain Marvel at the end of Infinity War pretty much locked captain marvel into big a super blockbister. 

34 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Almost every Phase 4 credit scene has received no follow-up yet. The number of dangling threads from those is a bit staggering at this point. The signal from the ten rings, Shang-Chi's sister's new criminal empire, Harry Styles, that cursed sword thing, Venom goo, Charlize, the Ted Lasso guy, baby T'Challa, evil Sharon Carter (ugh), and Moon Knight's third personality have all gotten no follow-up and there's no indication when, if ever, any of these will pay off.

I'm sure at least a few of these will eventually, but why tease projects that could be five years away instead of things already on the schedule?

It's like they forgot that people stayed for the after credit scenes to see what was going to happen in the next movie, not a movie 5-10 years away, if ever. Alot of these feel like random shit that they came up with on the fly.  Like why include Ali in that Eternals scene if there was no plan to have Kit Harrington in Blade? It makes no sense.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Between Echo, Deadpool, Zombies, Daredevil, and this, it definitely feels like part of Marvels course correction is to try a bunch of R rated projects. Which is actually a cool step!

I'm quite excited about Marvel doing R rated projects, especially Blade. The studio getting out of its comfort zone could produce amazing results even if the box office is lower.

In hindsight, Captain Marvel 2 being a Carol/Shang-Chi adventure would have worked tons better and got people more hyped. You already teased those two characters doing stuff together in the Shang-Chi credits, you have Carol working with a cool breakout character, you combine the space side of Marvel with the mystical side of Marvel. Coulda been a fun buddy thing between them. But oh well.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

In hindsight, Captain Marvel 2 being a Carol/Shang-Chi adventure would have worked tons better and got people more hyped. You already teased those two characters doing stuff together in the Shang-Chi credits, you have Carol working with a cool breakout character, you combine the space side of Marvel with the mystical side of Marvel. Coulda been a fun buddy thing between them. But oh well.

That could be fun. Like Kree invaders and alien bounty hunters being hired by Kang to steal Shang-Chi’s rings and teams up with Carol to halt off the invaders whilst studying the rings. 

5 hours ago, Eric Presley said:

An honest question, is Shang-Chi a so popular character?

I don't really feel a lot of hype for the character. I thought he was just another forgotten character by the audience.

24 minutes ago, Kon said:

I don't really feel a lot of hype for the character. I thought he was just another forgotten character by the audience.

But thats the issue. They introduced him but haven't built on him. Shang Chi is similar to Cap/Thor in the pre Avengers era but at least they built on them.

As a casual fan, I lost interest in Marvel because:

1. it’s just too much to follow and it feels like homework at this point

2. I wouldn’t mind that if I actually cared about any of these new characters but at this point not even Marvel itself seems to care enough about them to develop them

3. The character assassination of someone previous favorites: Wanda, Thor.

At this point that idea of bringing back IM and Cap seems like the only thing that could draw me back in.

I am excited about X-Men and Deadpool though, but only because I feel I can go in without watching 1000 botched movies and TV shows beforehand. I really hope they will keep it as simple as possible. This multiverse stuff is really too much.

• Like 3

For current superheroes who could be Avengers...

2 Thors - main and Lady 

3 Ants - Antman,, Wasp, and Cassie

3 Marvels - Capt, Ms. and Monica Rambeau

2 Hawkeyes - main and Kate Bishop

2 Hulks - main and She-Hulk

Black Panther - Shuri

Shang Chi

Cap Falcon

Bucky Barnes

Black Widow - Yelena

Dr Strange and Wong

Daredevil

Moon Knight

Loki

Vision

Wanda

Ironheart and Iron Patriot

Spiderman

Star Lord

So, that's 28 characters without including any "lessers" (like Katy Chen, Werewolf by Night, or Echo, since that's "Spotlight") or any teams like Eternals or GoTG (another 15 folks or so), since they have their own crew (save Starlord after the last movie).  If we included them, we'd probably be at almost 50 "main" (not their supporting cast) characters for Avengers in Phase 4 on.  That's NUTS!

And we wonder why no one can connect or can follow anything...and again, all these characters plus the ones above have been in Phase 4 and beyond...this is 4 years of content only...

And we also wonder why we never see them repeat anywhere...how could you?

• Like 4

"why haven't we seen them again"

Probably because for most of them it's been two years or less since they first appeared. So no, not everyone is going to get a follow up at the same time right away  This has always been the case. especially true with the strike delays.

Anyways, as for What If, with Percy Jackson on December 20th onwards, which Disney clearly is pushing to be a big hit, and, well, any other time is after Christmas, my guess is What If drops on the 13th.

Edited by SpiderByte

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

"why haven't we seen them again"

Probably because for most of them it's been two years or less since they first appeared. So no, not everyone is going to get a follow up at the same time right away  This has always been the case. especially true with the strike delays.

Anyways, as for What If, with Percy Jackson on December 20th onwards, which Disney clearly is pushing to be a big hit, and, well, any other time is after Christmas, my guess is What If drops on the 13th.

We can explain to you time and time oversaturation is a key problem on why things aren’t going so well, but you still won’t acknowledge it. Yes, time for installments isn’t really changing BUT the amount of content has tripled to introduce or either continue characters which makes in the perspective of the GA and the Marvel causal that waits are longer. The amount of time both Captain Americas got a sequel project was three years but Steve has more appearances and an Avengers under his belt while Sam has nothing. It’s hard to get attached to a character if the wait feels long whether that’s years or the amount inbetween. That is the problem - oversaturation.

5 hours ago, James said:

As a casual fan, I lost interest in Marvel because:

1. it’s just too much to follow and it feels like homework at this point

I am excited about X-Men and Deadpool though, but only because I feel I can go in without watching 1000 botched movies and TV shows beforehand. I really hope they will keep it as simple as possible. This multiverse stuff is really too much.

This is a very common complaint nowadays. I suspect they're starting to tell you now that you don't need to watch the newest TV shows (that's a big point in the marketing of Echo, that it is its own thing) precisely because of that.

I think they won't make the same mistake again that they're making with The Marvels; make TV show characters the main characters in a big movie. People just feel like skipping the movie rather than doing the "homework" of watching the shows they are in before watching the movie.

Yes, they tried to address that by telling us that you don't need to watch the TV shows at all to enjoy the movie, and it's probably even true, but a lot of people feel like that anyway.

(no, that's not the only reason The Marvels is likely  flopping, it's just one of them)

57 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

For current superheroes who could be Avengers...

2 Thors - main and Lady 

3 Ants - Antman,, Wasp, and Cassie

3 Marvels - Capt, Ms. and Monica Rambeau

2 Hawkeyes - main and Kate Bishop

2 Hulks - main and She-Hulk

Black Panther - Shuri

Shang Chi

Cap Falcon

Bucky Barnes

Black Widow - Yelena

Dr Strange and Wong

Daredevil

Moon Knight

Loki

Vision

Wanda

Ironheart and Iron Patriot

Spiderman

Star Lord

So, that's 28 characters without including any "lessers" (like Katy Chen, Werewolf by Night, or Echo, since that's "Spotlight") or any teams like Eternals or GoTG (another 15 folks or so), since they have their own crew (save Starlord after the last movie).  If we included them, we'd probably be at almost 50 "main" (not their supporting cast) characters for Avengers in Phase 4 on.  That's NUTS!

And we wonder why no one can connect or can follow anything...and again, all these characters plus the ones above have been in Phase 4 and beyond...this is 4 years of content only...

And we also wonder why we never see them repeat anywhere...how could you?

Guessing the next Avengers is a fun game!

I'll try to take a stab at it and say that, if there is an Avengers movie before Secret Wars, the likely Avengers will be:

Star Lord - leader (yes,my guess)

Spider-Man

Doctor Strange - likely future leader

Captain Marvel

Cap Falcon

Thor (original)

Hulk (original)

Ant-Man* (original)

Black Panther (Shuri**)

* dies early, as was likely the original plan for Quantumania

** dies at the end, then his kid becomes Black Panther later on

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, YM! said:

We can explain to you time and time oversaturation is a key problem on why things aren’t going so well, but you still won’t acknowledge it. Yes, time for installments isn’t really changing BUT the amount of content has tripled to introduce or either continue characters which makes in the perspective of the GA and the Marvel causal that waits are longer. The amount of time both Captain Americas got a sequel project was three years but Steve has more appearances and an Avengers under his belt while Sam has nothing. It’s hard to get attached to a character if the wait feels long whether that’s years or the amount inbetween. That is the problem - oversaturation.

You can't say "everything is oversaturated" and also ask why they aren't speeding up production