XXRDJisDoctorDoom

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

5 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

It seems like it's done a great job at appeasing the die hards and fans who are already there, but I don't think it's bringing in many new eyes. Which is still a big plus for the brand, but I don't think it means a monumental shift is incoming. X-Men are popular, water is wet. 

I probably fall into the die-hard category b/c Cyclops is my favorite X-Man and he finally gets a chance to shine in this series.

PS - I am loving the series - not sure it's the best Marvel D+ series, but it's definitely near the top.

PPS - And if anyone needs something else to watch on D+/Hulu, I'm watching the old Sherlock series with Benedict Cumberbatch - damn, that 1st season was well done (I have 3 more, so it could screw up, but I'm happy so far)...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Reddroast said:

Ok I think rafe Judkins is a decent pick here. 

In what world is he a decent pick? He's the untalented version of D&D and that's saying something.

On 5/10/2024 at 1:36 PM, TwoMisfits said:

PS - I am loving the series - not sure it's the best Marvel D+ series, but it's definitely near the top.

PPS - And if anyone needs something else to watch on D+/Hulu, I'm watching the old Sherlock series with Benedict Cumberbatch - damn, that 1st season was well done (I have 3 more, so it could screw up, but I'm happy so far)...

Imo it’s one of the greatest shows ever made with an all timer performance. One of the reason I was so excited to see Cumberbatch in MCU was because of that show.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Marvels leaning into the title changing jokes. Guess the trailer tomorrow will be public

This has since been deleted though. I think this was meant to be out tomorrow with the upfront, but was released early today by mistake. I've seen some people think it's a joke and that's why it got deleted, but I'm not buying that. It would be an appropriate title given what we know about the series so far.

6 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This has since been deleted though. I think this was meant to be out tomorrow with the upfront, but was released early today by mistake. I've seen some people think it's a joke and that's why it got deleted, but I'm not buying that. It would be an appropriate title given what we know about the series so far.

It sounds like the actual title is just "Agatha". I wouldn't be shocked if this isn't the only "new title" they post today. I would be very surprised if the final version is a Chronicles of Narnia joke.

Lmao I would absolutely love it if that was the proper title because of how many it would piss off.

They definitely posted it on purpose no way the president of Disney marketing would have commented like this if it wasn’t on purpose imo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

"DATA COMPILED DEC. 29, 2023-MAY 10, 2024"

Well, yeah.  It was the only other new major live action series on D+ besides Percy Jackson in that time period.

Screen-Shot-2024-05-13-at-11-53-29-AM.pn

Now that is LUMINATE streaming viewership which is still a bit of a new source, so how directly it compares to Nielsen (or other sources) is still an open question.  And since this is Luminate it is very likely not including Bluey as that is not considered an "Original" series.  Nor does this look to be including any of the movies that debuted in that time window, unless both are being rolled into "others" (and I doubt it because the graph is about 'series').

But all this really shows is how few hits D+ has right now when it comes to new programming when something that did as poorly as Echo did when it came to total viewership is still the "second most watched series on Disney Plus" in the first four months plus of this year.

Now the above being said, this is complicated by the dual strikes (for instance, one of the upcoming SW shows [Skeleton Crew] looks to have been originally penciled in for Holidays '23 before being pushed back to Holidays '24).  And it's also complicated by the fact that Disney is "course correcting" and cutting back on Marvel/SW content.

At the same time, this also shows how it's doing in content programming outside of SW/Marvel.  One of the reasons why the success of Percy Jackson was so needed.  Also shows that Hulu integration probably can't come fast enough, though how much that will actually help is also perhaps an open question. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I wonder if Bob Iger regrets Disney+ at this point. 

No?

Disney would be in a much worse position if it didn't have Disney Plus right now.  Look over at, say, Paramount and how it's trying to scramble with its much lower tier streaming platform.  Or how Comcast is doing with Peacock.  Or, hell, Sony which has practically nothing.

What they might regret is how they tried to chase after Netflix and commit too many resources to going "all in".   But then again the entire industry fucked up by trying to copy Netflix, leading to — or at least accelerating — the shift from one of the most profitable business models the US entertainment system ever had (the multichannel bundle) to a very much less profitable one. 

The fallout from the shift from where 85% of all households in the US had some form of multichannel bundle to the massive market fragmentation where everyone is fending for themselves (even with an occasional superbundle like the Disney/Max one thrown in) is gonna be felt for a looooooooong time.

Anyway, Disney Plus's undeniable strength is in its legacy programming/library.  Where it is falling down is getting a reliable set of *NEW* programming on a regular basis.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No?

Disney would be in a much worse position if it didn't have Disney Plus right now.  Look over at, say, Paramount and how it's trying to scramble with its much lower tier streaming platform.  Or how Comcast is doing with Peacock.  Or, hell, Sony which has practically nothing.

What they might regret is how they tried to chase after Netflix and commit too many resources to going "all in".   But then again the entire industry fucked up by trying to copy Netflix, leading to — or at least accelerating — the shift from one of the most profitable business models the US entertainment system ever had (the multichannel bundle) to a very much less profitable one. 

The fallout from the shift from where 85% of all households in the US had some form of multichannel bundle to the massive market fragmentation where everyone is fending for themselves (even with an occasional superbundle like the Disney/Max one thrown in) is gonna be felt for a looooooooong time.

Anyway, Disney Plus's undeniable strength is in its legacy programming/library.  Where it is falling down is getting a reliable set of *NEW* programming on a regular basis.

That was what I was primarily referring to? The whole reason all these streaming services exist in the first place is because these companies tried to chase the Netflix model, and it backfired spectacularly. It’s gotten to the point where they’re starting to do bundles. 

I obviously wasn’t suggesting that  Iger would kill Disney+, if that’s what you inexplicably thought I was implying. I’m aware that doing something like that would be even more disastrous at this point. 

Edited by WittyUsername

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No?

In defense of Sony their streaming strategy is smart.

Sell the films for to various services. Get money. Then target various niches by buying streaming services within them

Crunchyroll and FUNimation before it  (r.i.p.) have proven this method successful