Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

Can we stop with the exaggerated "Marvel isn't going out of business, guys!"  posts?   Who has said that the MCU is over or that they are going to stop producing content?  

All I've seen is that people feel some changes should be made and these numbers seem to support that notion. 

Hyperbolic statements are fun to make, I guess? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some people in the MCU thread saying that they should cancel like 3-4 of their movies already on production or pre-production, they should spend a couple of years without making movies, they should fire Kevin Feige, etc. So then you’ll have exaggerated reactions and replies, that’s natural.

• Like 3

Everything that could go wrong with the MCU has gone wrong. Genre fatigue but most importantly inconsistent quality during the age of COVID harmed moviegoing. People are celebrating a Marvel movie getting 61% on RT now. That would be unthinkable 3 years ago. That's how far everything has fallen.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I haven't seen the Marvels, but the same exact things are true of Thor and Ant-Man. That speaks to a larger systemic issue beyond one director or one movie. Frankly, the scripts for Strange and Eternals were even worse and only saved from total disaster territory by skilled directors. This is a clear systemic issue now at MCU.

I've seen all three in my local theaters.

And Whatever you think of Quantumania and Love & Thunder, The Marvels is Worse.

I honestly believe it deserves some Razzies, or at least some nominations. 

Seeing is believing. Would Recommend buying a matinee for it.

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Hyperbolic statements are fun to make, I guess? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some people in the MCU thread saying that they should cancel like 3-4 of their movies already on production or pre-production, they should spend a couple of years without making movies, they should fire Kevin Feige, etc. So then you’ll have exaggerated reactions and replies, that’s natural.

There was one person who said the MCU will be permanently unprofitable and Disney needed to do something else. Keeping in mind the chances of that happening are zilch. It's just silly hyperbole from people with no idea how Hollywood works.

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Why do people like to see things fail after they built them up? The glee at The Marvels flopping is extreme

Sure the hate around this can get wild I admit.

But yeah marvel has been dropping the ball. 2023 has been the year audiences said enough.

So this setback should hopefully make  some evaluations .

And we'll the movie ain't exactly good and is not being well recieved . So why cheer or feel bad for the mediocre product.

Alot of toxicity is around this movie and it's not good but at the end of the marvels didn't cut it for the audience.

I don't think this is me harping on critics when I say that a lot of bloggers who are now RT critics tend to give comic book movies a pass or are at least more forgiving. 

'The Flash' had terrible WOM but it's sitting at 63% on RT,

'The Marvels' was rotten but now it's crawled it's way back up to 61%.  

My suggestion is if you care at all about the RT scores and how they might compare with the GA but don't want to read the everyday blogger, then maybe look at the Top Critics instead.  'The Marvels' is 44% with Top Critics which seems to match closer to the early WOM on the movie. 

• Like 1

Why shouldn’t Feige maybe step down? He had a great run but this is the guy that thought Eternals was Oscar worthy, Ant Man was a banger, Captain Marvel was going to be the new face of the MCU, and is overseeing this multiverse plot which makes no sense and is incoherent 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I never really understood the hater mentality either.

I guess misery just really loves company.

Speaking for myself, I love action, sci-fi, fantasy, spy thrillers, heist movies etc, and superhero movies are often some of the best examples for those genres. I love when superhero movies play with all the various genres. I have seen pretty much every major superhero movie in cinemas since the days of the first X-Men. Yes, this includes the likes of Affleck's Daredevil, Catwoman, Elektra, or the recent FANT4STIC or Hellboy reboot. I WANT these movies to be good. But the MCU is going off the rails and they NEED some catastrophic failures in order to correct the issue. As long as the likes of Strange 2 or Thor 4 make money, the illusion of the MCU working is not broken, despite the quality greatly suffering. And that's not even taking the tv side into account. They need to be brought down in order to rebuild. At least that's my hope - both for the MCU and DC. 

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Everything that could go wrong with the MCU has gone wrong. Genre fatigue but most importantly inconsistent quality during the age of COVID harmed moviegoing. People are celebrating a Marvel movie getting 61% on RT now. That would be unthinkable 3 years ago. That's how far everything has fallen.

The problem is if their movie has good story then it doesn't have a fun elements eg. Eternals and if movie is fun then it doesn't a good story eg. The Marvels. Then there is a movie which neither has good story nor has fun elements eg. L&T. So they all getting bad score

Just now, John Marston said:

Why shouldn’t Feige maybe step down? He had a great run but this is the guy that thought Eternals was Oscar worthy, Ant Man was a banged, Captain Marvel was going to be the new face of the MCU, and is overseeing this multiverse plot which makes no sense and is incoherent 

Way too early for that. Start by winding down the TV shows and spinoffs, let him concentrate on a smaller number of projects and see if he can get Marvel back on track. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Why shouldn’t Feige maybe step down? He had a great run but this is the guy that thought Eternals was Oscar worthy, Ant Man was a banger, Captain Marvel was going to be the new face of the MCU, and is overseeing this multiverse plot which makes no sense and is incoherent 

Sources also say he thought Flash was one of the best superhero movies ever.

6 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

I've seen all three in my local theaters.

And Whatever you think of Quantumania and Love & Thunder, The Marvels is Worse.

I honestly believe it deserves some Razzies, or at least some nominations. 

Seeing is believing. Would Recommend buying a matinee for it.

I don't agree with you. The marvels is better than quantumania and l&t

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Not sure what the rules are anymore 

They are basically the same as before with some clarifications. I wrote all of them up last night, but the post didn’t save. I lost an hour of work.  so I went to bed sad. I haven’t had time to rewrite them yet due to my work. So just assume the old rules apply

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Why shouldn’t Feige maybe step down? He had a great run but this is the guy that thought Eternals was Oscar worthy, Ant Man was a banged, Captain Marvel was going to be the new face of the MCU, and is overseeing this multiverse plot which makes no sense and is incoherent 

It's hard to fire a coach who has 4 or 5 rings.  Yes, it's possible that the game has surpassed them and they'll never get their mojo back but because of what they've accomplished for the franchise they are going to get more time to fix things than some nobody who has never done anything.  

Feige is going to get the chance to fix this.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Who replaces him though, that why he's unlikely to be fired by Disney. People seem to think firing people is a solution but really it causes more problems if there is no one to replace him.

• Like 3

I'm not ready to call Marvel dead yet because we still have Deadpool 3 coming up next year (thank goodness), but yeah, the brand is really on life support right now and drastic changes needs to be made. Kevin Feige was succesful in the past because he was kept in check by a creative committee that made sure the movies where appealing and marketable in the toy industry and Ike Perlmutter made sure the budgets where reasonable. Ever since Iger got rid of Ike and the committee, and made Feige unchecked and unbound, the quality has gone way down, the toy sales are down and now the ratings in D+ and the box office has gone down, and the budgets are way out of control.

I know creative control and no studio interference sound lovely for artists and I support that, but too much creative control can lead to this kind of situation. Kevin Feige was no messiah, he was just really lucky to have insanely talented artist like Jon Favreau or James Gunn to make the MCU what it was.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's hard to fire a coach who has 4 or 5 rings.  Yes, it's possible that the game has surpassed them and they'll never get their mojo back but because of what they've accomplished for the franchise they are going to get more time to fix things than some nobody who has never done anything.  

Feige is going to get the chance to fix this.  

That's true for anyone who has a flop or two. I know some were calling for Jennifer Lee's head after Strange World and Pete Docter's head after Lightyear and the first weekend of Elemental but that was just dumb.