Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

2 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

I would go even further to say that this was among the worst superhero films ever released in the modern era.

If I was Bob Iger, I would put Feige on house arrest, until we can figure out what is going on. 

Uniornically, I think Feige is replaced by a Skrull. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DInky said:

In terms of Thursday previews this is a 14.1M drop (-68%) for The Marvels compared to Captain Marvel.

Unless I'm missing something, this is the second lowest MCU preview number since 2012. Only lower one is the first Ant Man movie in 2017 which had 6.4M with a 7pm start.

• Like 1

I find it kind of both funny and sad that Captain Marvel and Shazam came out in 2019 and did very well.  Then four years later their sequels bomb in spectacular fashion.  In fact Shazam 2 has the worst legs of any DC film ever released (not an exaggeration).  

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Unless I'm missing something, this is the second lowest MCU preview number since 2012. Only lower one is the first Ant Man movie in 2017 which had 6.4M with a 7pm start.

Ant-Man came out in 2015 but you are correct in that the only other MCU movies it beat in Thursday previews are phase 1 movies (Iron Man 3.5M, Thor 3.2M, Captain America 4M and probably The Incredible Hulk but I couldn't find the Thursday numbers for it)

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

I got lucky by going to a big college and i’ve always been an extrovert so it was easy to meet an insane amount of interesting people. I also did a degree in something I loved, so it never felt like I was really working either. But I know a lot of people do harder STEM subjects and engineering - I can only imagine how grueling that’s gotta be

I do CS, the social environment is not every accommodating to say the least. 

• Sad 1

This has nothing to do with gender, btw. It has to do with being a team of Z-listers that aren't in the zeitgeist like the Guardians. The same exact thing would have happened if it was like Hawkeye, Shang-Chi, and one of the Eternals guys. The only way the next mainline MCU after the past couple years wouldn't flop was if it was Spider-Man or RDJ or Deadpool tbh.

Edited by Cmasterclay

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Oh that’s terrible for The Marvels but it’s also not remotely surprising given the tracking thread, so I’m not shocked. 

Awful for Journey to Bethlehem too. Rejected by an audience that seemingly always show up. 

Was there any marketing for Journey to Bethlehem? It was dumped with absolutely zero fanfare.

34 minutes ago, Cap said:

MODERATION:

See this right here.

This is what we are not doing this weekend.

If you post something like this ONCE, you will receive 2 warning points.

If you post something like this TWICE, you will be thread banned for the ENTIRE weekend.

TWICE??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

This has nothing to do with gender, btw. It has to do with being a team of Z-listers that aren't in the zeitgeist like the Guardians. The same exact thing would have happened if it was like Hawkeye, Shang-Chi, and one of the Eternals guys. The only way the next mainline MCU after the past couple years was if it was Spider-Man or RDJ or Deadpool tbh.

Captain Marvel is not Z-lister in comics. She is current leader of Avengers in comics. But in MCU they treated her badly & this is the result.

8 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

I would go even further to say that this was among the worst superhero films ever released in the modern era.

If I was Bob Iger, I would have a long discussion with Feige until we can figure out what the hell is going on. 

Something like that yes

I HATE what is going on right now. I need Marvel to feed me until the day that die.. Im that big a fan since i started reading the comics 40 years ago

But this needs to happen. MarvelS needs to flop. Disney needs to loose 200 mill.

Critics needs to butcher this movie. 
Feige & Co needs to learn the hard way that the shit they have done almost since Endgame needs to stop. Disney+ shows included.

Its has been one shit show after another. She-Hulk, Secret Wars, Quantumania and Ms Marvel are atrousiously bad.

I just hope that the strikes gave them time to breathe and reflect. And come up with a different plan. Because the current one is`ent working

• Like 3

I think Thor: Love and Thunder gets underrated in the decline of the MCU compared to TV shows etc. People HATED that movie. I'm talking hated. Anecdotally, all of my friends, including many MCU fans, thought that this was The Room level of bad. I haven't seen that much universal hate for a blockbuster in ages. And we know how people feel about Quantumania. I do think the TV stuff is hurting, but I think people are underestimaing how much two absolutely reviled movies in a row (and people didn't exactly love Strange/Eternals) is hurting the brand. Marvel used to be a mark of relative quality. That has failed.

• Like 12

Anyone expecting Kevin Feige to be fired or Marvel Studios to be shut down is kidding themselves. They've hit a bump but it's not the end of the MCU or Marvel Studios themselves. I get the sense it was too late to save The Marvels and they just had to suck it up.