Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Not sure what the rules are anymore so I’ll just say I’m really sad this bombed and I hope marvel’s future endeavours, in fact all future superhero films, are much more successful and that the genre continues to dominate the film landscape for decades to come 

200.gif

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Genuinely didn't realise it till the guy pointed it out but Phases 4 and 5 have actually been about replacing the older heroes with younger female teen friendly alternatives

Doctor Strange 2 - America Chavez

Ant Man - Cassie

Black Panther - Shuri

Hawkeye - Hailee Steinfeld

Black Widow - Florence Pugh

Captain Marvel - Ms. Marvel

Hulk - She Hulk

I really hope they make a team up movie of just those characters, might end up challenging The Marvels at the box office.

You forgot

Iron Man - Ironheart

Steve Rogers - FalconCap

But with the exception of the original characters that have died (Steve, Tony, Natasha, T'Challa) none of them have been replaced by the younger heroes.

I like people act as if Shuri will replace T’Challa when we know damn well come Secret Wars either his older son or a multiversal variant will replace him. The ending of Wakanda Forever writes that out with a Sharpie lol.

Edited by YM!

Just now, filmlover said:

I do think centering around two characters who have only existed in the D+ shows up until now (though the Teyonah Parris character is the grown up version of the little girl from the first Captain Marvel) ended up limiting its appeal more than anything else. Know it's not exactly the movie's fault because it was filmed before the Ms. Marvel show, but they really took for granted just how devoted the MCU audience is to the entire franchise.*

It is the fault of whoever didn't wait to see how the show would be received before greenlighting this superbomb. Shows were still untested at that time especially as lead-ins to movies so they should have waited. I said in Cap 4 thread but turning movies into sequels to D+ shows was a giant mistake that they still can't shake off cause they greenlit a number of them.

21 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Has anybody actually seen the film or is it just me? 

I'm baffled that they actually decided to release this. 

Yep. It was not a good movie

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I do think centering around two characters who have only existed in the D+ shows up until now (though the Teyonah Parris character is the grown up version of the little girl from the first Captain Marvel) ended up limiting its appeal more than anything else. Know it's not exactly the movie's fault because it was filmed before the Ms. Marvel show, but they really took for granted just how devoted the MCU audience is to the entire franchise.*

*: everyone should've figured that out when that Twitter Oscar category, clearly designed to give Spider-Man an award, proved that the MCU fandom was nowhere nearly as devoted to their franchise as Camila Cabello and Johnny Depp stans (the latter for a movie that no one even heard of, let alone saw) were to theirs.

Personally, feel like we're just in for an underwhelming holiday season with no breakouts in sight. Barbenheimer, Taylor, and FNAF ended up filling our surprise sensation quota for 2023.

Hey, I saw Minamata in theaters! It is pretty good actually.

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

I like people act as if Shuri will replace T’Challa when we know damn well come Secret Wars either his older son or a multiversal variant will replace him. The ending of Wakanda Forever writes that out with a Sharpie lol.

Agreed. It was pretty clear.

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

umeed yahi hai k iss lachchar pradarshan ke baad marvel kuch badlav layenge. agle saal sirf ek film hai, toh yeh unn badlav ka andesha ho sakta hai.

Uske agle saal 4 ya 5 filme release karenge. Unki strategy kuch nahi badli, bas ek saal hartaal ke kaaran zyada ho gaya

To paraphrase Hemingway, how does this happen? "Slowly, then all at once." People have had a bubbling discontent with the MCU (and all interconnected superhero movies) since 2019. It hit its peak and then people got filled up with shittier content. For awhile, many people stuck around, but started to look for a possible exit due to their discontent.  When people started seeing off ramps in the forms of really bad and unessential movies, they started running faster and faster for the exits. Since Black Adam last year and through to this bomb, people have abanonded ship. It will take a major recalibration to get people back on the boat. For what it's worth, I think that having Deadpool be the sole focus for next year is a good start. Would help if they didn't have any TV shows to go with it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DInky said:

You forgot

Iron Man - Ironheart

Steve Rogers - FalconCap

But with the exception of the original characters that have died (Steve, Tony, Natasha, T'Challa) none of them have been replaced by the younger heroes.

I mean, one of those isn't like the others and Ant-Man was clearly supposed to die in AM3 and it's been explicitly discussed by Waldron(?). Does anyone have any idea what they're doing with hulk now?

9 minutes ago, YM! said:

Based on Coogler's comments, this feels more like a throwback to the Boseman version of BP2 than a commitment for a legacy replacement. That probably will happen but I don't think this is the causal machanism that explains the cameo.

12 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Yep. It was not a good movie

I would go even further to say that this was among the worst superhero films ever released in the modern era.

If I was Bob Iger, I would have a long discussion with Feige until we can figure out what the hell is going on. 

Edited by The GOAT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

I want to get out of this hellscape. 

I got lucky by going to a big college and i’ve always been an extrovert so it was easy to meet an insane amount of interesting people. I also did a degree in something I loved, so it never felt like I was really working either. But I know a lot of people do harder STEM subjects and engineering - I can only imagine how grueling that’s gotta be