Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

10 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

You’re very good at this prediction game.

This movie seems to please women way more(going solely by RT critics ratio), so I wonder how they could’ve marketed it in a way to make more women come out for it. I wonder how many more women would’ve come after seeing the leads playing with puppies and kittens on YouTube.

Probably not many more, but it’s a pity that a movie that seems to be made by women and for women failed to attract them.

Our trackers rock.

I'm not sure if female leads playing with puppies could really attract many more women. It would be different if it were male leads playing with puppies.

Edited by Kon

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Wes Ball is the director, not Shawn Levy.

People say video game films are the future but there has been just as many failures like Warcraft and 2018 Tomb Raider. 

Ah yes, fair point. Sorry

I think Warcraft is the one to look at - massive game itself, live action fantasy adaptation, failed miserably. Tomb Raider had shown its ceiling with Jolie even before the 2018 version. But Warcraft can be a big red flag for Zelda. 

Also, the issue with video game adaptations in my view is that most you run the risk of hitting too late - after the target demo has moved on. You REALLY need to exploit those franchises that have withstood the test of time (like Zelda), but that also means far bigger expectations to meet. Personally I don't think there will be any one genre/type of movie to dominate the marketplace in a similar vein to CBM's in the 2010's. Or maybe that's my optimism showing, as I want a healthy, diverse offering.

7 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

OH-OH!

Side-eye GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Quick, type a retraction.

Genuinely didn't realise it till the guy pointed it out but Phases 4 and 5 have actually been about replacing the older heroes with younger female teen friendly alternatives

Doctor Strange 2 - America Chavez

Ant Man - Cassie

Black Panther - Shuri

Hawkeye - Hailee Steinfeld

Black Widow - Florence Pugh

Captain Marvel - Ms. Marvel

Hulk - She Hulk

I really hope they make a team up movie of just those characters, might end up challenging The Marvels at the box office.

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

31 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If the best demo is 61% recommend and overall is 3.5 stars, that's not a great start to word of mouth for sure.

If they're not even providing a "% positive" number, I'm 100% certain it's under 80% positive

Reminds me of deadline's Ghost in the Shell article which brought up how >90% of audience gave the film at least a "C" grade.

I tried to find age/gender split % recommend comps.

JL Friday is helpful

While critics have strangled Justice League with a 41% Rotten Tomatoes score, audiences are enjoying it with final PostTrak showing a 4-out-of-5-star response with males at 62% enjoying the movie with an 80% overall positive, and females at 38% giving it an 85% grade. Warners is hoping that more of those older female Wonder Woman fans come out, just like they did for her June solo outing: Females over 25 are giving Justice League its best grades at 90%, but they’re still in the minority among the pic’s headcount repping only 18% of the audience. Leading the charge are males under 35 (32%, 78% positive), males over 25 (30%, 81% positive), and women under 25 (20% at 81% positive). Justice League overall has a 65% definite recommend.

overall 82% positive/65% recommend

so if this were  "% positive" anecdote I'd say let's drop it by ~7-8 points. Applying the same to recommend gets us to 3.5/~75% positive/55% recommend?

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Eternals was 6pm previews start. Need to dock just a bit due to that differential.

I actually did not know that, just assumed is was some COVID-related factor. Yeah, that does make a difference, would think sub-7x here then for Marvels, no high $40s, maybe low if WOM matches those early audience scores 

I know there is a cancel everything mentality but Disney won't be cancelling every Marvel content due to The Marvels underperforming. As @Shawn pointed in the MCU, Loki's finale was very well received so it's not all doom and gloom.

I do wonder if we might see X-Men pop up sooner than expected? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The Marvels s looks like if you asked AI to make a female targeted superhero movie 

The Hunger Games next week, which looks like a real movie, will actually skew female audiences

This is what GPT gave me 

Spoiler

reating a superhero movie targeted specifically at a female audience involves a combination of thoughtful storytelling, diverse and empowering characters, and a nuanced exploration of themes that resonate with women. Here are some key elements to consider when developing an AI-generated concept for a female-targeted superhero movie:

1. Strong and Diverse Female Characters:

• Protagonist: Create a compelling female lead with a unique backstory, personal challenges, and growth arc.
  • Supporting Characters: Develop a diverse cast of female characters with varied skills, backgrounds, and perspectives.

2. Empowering Themes:

• Empowerment: Explore themes of empowerment, self-discovery, and overcoming challenges.
  • Friendship and Collaboration: Emphasize the strength that comes from collaboration and supportive relationships among women.

3. Inclusive Representation:

• Cultural Diversity: Showcase characters from different cultural backgrounds, highlighting the richness of diversity.
  • Body Positivity: Celebrate different body types and challenge traditional beauty standards.

4. Compelling Storyline:

• Complex Plot: Craft a storyline that is engaging and intellectually stimulating, with twists and turns that keep the audience hooked.
  • Balanced Tone: Blend action with emotional moments and humor to create a well-rounded experience.

5. Realistic Challenges:

• Relatable Issues: Address real-world challenges that women face, whether personal or societal, adding depth to the narrative.
  • Overcoming Stereotypes: Challenge and subvert stereotypes associated with female characters in superhero genres.

6. Technology and Innovation:

• Unique Powers or Gadgets: Introduce innovative superpowers or cutting-edge technology that adds a futuristic and dynamic element to the story.

7. Social Commentary:

• Social Issues: Use the superhero narrative to explore and comment on relevant social issues, advocating for positive change.
  • Gender Equality: Highlight the importance of gender equality and women's empowerment in the superhero context.

8. Aesthetics and Design:

• Costume Design: Pay attention to practical and empowering costume design that aligns with the characters' personalities.
  • Cinematic Visuals: Utilize visually stunning effects and cinematography to create a memorable and immersive experience.

9. Soundtrack:

• Empowering Music: Curate a soundtrack that complements the movie's themes, featuring empowering songs performed by female artists.

10. Interactive Marketing:

• Engagement Campaigns: Leverage AI for interactive marketing campaigns that involve the audience in the creation process, allowing them to contribute ideas or vote on certain aspects of the movie.

11. Consultation with Target Audience:

• Focus Groups: Conduct focus groups and surveys to understand the preferences and expectations of the target audience.

12. Global Appeal:

• Cultural Sensitivity: Ensure the storyline and characters are culturally sensitive to appeal to a global audience of women.

By incorporating these elements, you can create a superhero movie that not only entertains but also resonates with and empowers a female audience.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

• Founder / Operator
14 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Flash was 9.7m, and it didn't have a holiday on its Fri. Yeah, it's going to get really ugly this weekend, folks. 😔 

To be fair, Flash was midsummer when school was out on Thursday.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Want to congratuate our tireless trackers on bang on job! :bravo:

As for Gen Z and Alpha, they will find their own heroes, not these hand-me-downs from Millenials. That's what studios don't get. Replacing old faves with younger versions is not going to appeal to next generation cause next generation needs its own heroes. And new versions of previous generation heroes are not their heroes. 

you say that be we all know

2028: "avengers 7 breaks all records with a return of Iron Man and captain in cameos"

Strongest force today is nostalgia for things people like.

Edited by Torontofan

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

I actually did not know that, just assumed is was some COVID-related factor. Yeah, that does make a difference, would think sub-7x here then for Marvels, no high $40s, maybe low if WOM matches those early audience scores 

Here's a good site with all preview details including start time, multiplier to OD and multiplier to OW.

http://www.boxofficereport.com/previewgrosses.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Genuinely didn't realise it till the guy pointed it out but Phases 4 and 5 have actually been about replacing the older heroes with younger female teen friendly alternatives

Ant Man - Cassie

Black Panther - Shuri

Hulk - She Hulk

I really hope they make a team up movie of just those characters, might end up challenging The Marvels at the box office.

With an audience that keeps aging...

If they wanted to drop to a younger audience, it's a shame they don't have Spiderman b/c an Ultimate Spiderman team, riffing on the cartoon series team up, would have hit this generation...

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Ant Man - Cassie

Black Panther - Shuri

Hulk - She Hulk

I just stopped laughing at your final sentence, but in all seriousness, the issue isn't the female characters as a whole, it's the unremarkable ones out of the bunch. Like, Yelena and Kate Bishop were good and can definitely star in future projects. But instead of having them in more prominent supporting roles for starters with a couple of the old guard in actual cinematic outings (not tv shows), you have the likes of Thunderbolts, with another half-dozen D+ rejects. You can't cultivate interest in these characters like this.

52 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

From Deadline:

Critical reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are at 61% fresh, but the RT audience score is higher at 85% — which is promising, however, the die-hards always come out on Thursday night. Thursday night PostTrak exits from ComScore/Screen Engine were severe for general audiences at 3.5 stars, but 4 1/2 stars from parents and 5 stars from kids under 12. That said, kids and parents combined only repped 9% of last night’s audience. The Marvels skewed guys at 63% with men over 25 the biggest turnout at 45% and women over 25 at 24%. That latter demo gave the best recommendation grades of any demo at 61%.

Wtf. So women over 25 gave the best recommendation grade and it's just 61%. Quantumania was 60% average. Considering that demo is just 24% of total average is below 60% for sure.  So we are probably looking at B again for MCU, maybe even B-.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Ant Man - Cassie

Black Panther - Shuri

Hulk - She Hulk

It's almost like they were casting folks who could play the characters for a decade, and preparing longterm for Phase 5 and 6!!!

Also the team is literally called The Young Avengers.

young-avengers-4-evah.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure what the rules are anymore so I’ll just say I’m really sad this bombed and I hope marvel’s future endeavours, in fact all future superhero films, are much more successful and that the genre continues to dominate the film landscape for decades to come 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

So, I did some digging to see how The Marvels will fair against other low-grossing MCU movies internationally.

The Incredible Hulk made 33M during its overseas opening weekend.

Captain America The First Avenger was at 53.5M by the end of its international opening weekend (rolled out a week after domestic opening).

Ant-Man made 57M during its international opening weekend.

Didn't include Thor here because it actually opened internationally a week before domestic and made 93M.

I do think centering around two characters who have only existed in the D+ shows up until now (though the Teyonah Parris character is the grown up version of the little girl from the first Captain Marvel) ended up limiting its appeal more than anything else. Know it's not exactly the movie's fault because it was filmed before the Ms. Marvel show, but they really took for granted just how devoted the MCU audience is to the entire franchise.*

*: everyone should've figured that out when that Twitter Oscar category, clearly designed to give Spider-Man an award, proved that the MCU fandom was nowhere nearly as devoted to their franchise as Camila Cabello and Johnny Depp stans (the latter for a movie that no one even heard of, let alone saw) were to theirs.

Personally, feel like we're just in for an underwhelming holiday season with no breakouts in sight. Barbenheimer, Taylor, and FNAF ended up filling our surprise sensation quota for 2023.

• Like 2