Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

9 minutes ago, YM! said:

Think Wish can still do well. Presales seem healthily above Elemental (though ATP and discount Tuesday needs adjusting to figure out how well), the marketing campaign did a strong 180 and reactions seem to be pretty good. If reviews match reaction, I think a 60/200 (5 day/DOM) is possible.

Wonka seems likely to be a strong 180-250m hit and Migration can still breakout.

If Wish does well then all talk of Disney animation being doomed will go away. TBH people forget WDAS does occasionally fail so the disaster of Strange World wasn't surprising. 

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Another very good hold incoming, then. Curious pattern, I suppose the first weekend was inflated because of past Di Caprio - Scorsese collaborations being more accessible, and now the movie is finding its audience.

23 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Meanwhile, 2025 is looking like there will be 5 MCU movies. Cap 4, Fantastic 4, Thunderbolts, Blade and Spiderman 4. Pretty much the opposite of reducing the output.

I agree that’s an awful idea even though I think SM4 is 2026. They fundamentally can’t do 4 films a year and think they’ll adjust again. I was referring to moreso after Secret Wars though.

Also, can I say The Killer was such an awesome, simple but well executed movie? Great sound design and well shot, straightforward story and just Fassbinder being awesome as usual (damn he looked nimble doing yoga. Yum! 😈)

Wish that were this weekend's proper wide release.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, YM! said:

I agree that’s an awful idea even though I think SM4 is 2026. They fundamentally can’t do 4 films a year and think they’ll adjust again. I was referring to moreso after Secret Wars though.

There's no way Spider-Man 4 will be 2025, it doesn't even film until late 2024.

6 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Also, can I say The Killer was such an awesome, simple but well executed movie? Great sound design and well shot, straightforward story and just Fassbinder being awesome as usual (damn he looked nimble doing yoga. Yum! 😈)

Wish that were this weekend's proper wide release.

I think that movie was the clearest distillation of how Fincher’s mind operates, almost felt like a confession in that sense

• Like 1