Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

I'm a woman. I've been a gamer for 35 years and I loved the comic book movie boom but I always knew that I was in the minority. Yes, I do like female led content but I'm under no delusions. I've looked at the demographics and most comic book movies have like a 60% male lean, if not a little more. Yes female led comic book movies can be successful but it is more difficult for them because of the genre. And filmmakers do have to take that into consideration when they're making these female led movies. I'm not talking about pandering to chuds by the way. I don't care what those YouTube creeps have to say about anything. I'm talking about normal people. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TMP said:

We should make a DCF to project its growth for the next five years. Group BOT project

Apple or Disney. Apple has its own issues. Its phone sales have stagnated as there is little incentive to upgrade that often, Mac/iPad sales have stagnated(folks tend to hold on to their devices for a loong time). Only services revenue is keeping them in the game but even that is not growing that much. I dont see Vision Pro will change that as well. 

What is great for Apple(I have been a share holder for a long time) is how crazy its fanbase is. They are even more loyal than MCU fans :-) 

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

275m budget!!!!?????

The movie is still obviously a massive bomb but The Marvels got 55M from the UK government for shooting in the UK so the actual budget is 220M after the tax credit.

Edited by DInky

45 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It may a controversial thing to say but this highlight just how difficult to market a women-led movie without romance element. 

I posted about this the other day, but the issue is that all the male hero films nearly all have romantic elements (some very strong) but when it’s female led Marvel seem to wring their hands around it. What does it leave for the audience to connect with?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, M37 said:

To be clear, I'm not saying the theatrical loss was justified to cover whatever boost there is to streaming by new content (hence why I used the " "s for investment), just that with all these studios having a streaming arm in some form, that secondary consideration has to be factored in

Probably way less than 15 years ago, during the DVD era it was common to plan and be happy to spend more on the theatrical release marketing than the ticket rental you got back (let alone starting to pay the budget back), on a yearly slate a studio could spend more on theatrical release than theatrical rental.

In 2006 for a studio like Warner brother, for the motion picture side of the business only 21% of the revenues where from theater, 29% from TV, 50% from home video. The most revenues era in the history of Hollywood probably the 2004-2007 just before the financial crisis, the one Matt Damon talked about how easier it was to greenlight stuff, assemble cast of Jim Carey romcom made with a $115M budget ($175M now), movie doing 1.4 time their budget at the theater turning a profit, etc... (look at Batman, first captain america or Bond of that era, giant success back then because of how many windows and how much money  was in them back then, would be considered flop now)

Could be possible that the post theatrical revenues are the lowest in a very long time for studios. Sure studio certainly have what it does for the streaming platform in mind but back in the days it was what does it do for their giant next year DVD and TV slate.

5 hours ago, Kon said:

I should mention The Marvels seems to be low on female audience even compared to other MCU movies.

I could imagine the lower the audience, the higher proportion of it are more hardcore fans that watch all of them which will be more male heavy.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the main cope I see is the actors strike. Ignoring that it bombed everywhere so Brie appearing on some shitty comedian like Jimmy Kimmel's show wouldn't make a difference there and FNAF just opened two weeks ago without actor promotion and on Peacock at the same time and destroyed this

Honestly, this cope doesn't even make a lot of sense as Captain Marvel "defense".

Even if actors promotion could help the box office in this movie (which is extremely doubtful), that would still mean Captain Marvel as a character and brand isn't popular enough to attract enough audience for an OW bigger than $50M.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Apple or Disney. Apple has its own issues. Its phone sales have stagnated as there is little incentive to upgrade that often, Mac/iPad sales have stagnated(folks tend to hold on to their devices for a loong time). Only services revenue is keeping them in the game but even that is not growing that much. I dont see Vision Pro will change that as well. 

What is great for Apple(I have been a share holder for a long time) is how crazy its fanbase is. They are even more loyal than MCU fans 🙂

Let’s do Disney since I know more about movies than tech lol. With Dis you could do comp analysis as well though; idk if there’s any pure plays for something as big as apple. It helps that all comps for Dis kind of operate with the same metrics (Film + streaming divisions) and Comcast feels like an almost exact match since they have a theme park too. 
For Dis DCF i guess a reasonable assumption would be to project a downwards trend on streaming and theatrical revenue, both based on recent trends and I suppose just on the state of the industry. I haven’t really had a good look at their 10K so idk what their overall state is though; maybe i’m completely off base lol. Not on the clock so i guess i can be sloppy here…

Just now, John Marston said:

ha ha ha ha ha 

Yeah, another bomb. Same with Young Avengers and Thunderbolts. 

it's surreal to see Marvel heading into the same path Star Wars did back in the trilogy sequel movies era some years ago.

Omg, I just realised this weekend total gross is coming below 100m in a weekend when McU movie debut. Completely unheard of. 

At least Priscilla look like it is beating the whale, book club 2, Margaret, ranfield and could come close to magic Mike and my big fat Greek wedding. 

The holdovers has 91% postrak and verified audience score. I hope this can turnout to be mini-GB.

Dream scenario is another win for A24. Please make this movie bigger than ranfield and massive talent. 

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Damn, that's a dumb idea...So, that means Disney is definitely doing it! :)

Yeah, at this point I'm sure someone at Disney wants to destroy their franchises, no other way to Justify why Kathleen still has her job and Feige is not doing course correction.

26 minutes ago, DInky said:

The movie is still obviously a massive bomb but The Marvels got 55M from the UK government for shooting in the UK so the actual budget is 220M after the tax credit.

$220M after tax credit was how much they spent more than a year ago (september 2022), there a full year of post production over that and reshoot.

$260M-$270M would not surprise me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OT: I have not watched The Marvels yet, but it can't be worse than The Curse series. What are critics smoking, it's painfully unfunny and awkward. I barely finished the first episode, not gonna continue. Hopefully Emma Stone's Poor Things is better. I have high hopes for that one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Onky older millenials like 35 plus watch late night shows  

Neglecting or belittling older crowd prove to be very economic costly in this industry. especially with American growing older with lower fertility rate. And let’s be clear, more than 55% are above aged 35. They are not just “Only”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

OT: I have not watched The Marvels yet, but it can't be worse than The Curse series. What are critics smoking, it's painfully unfunny and awkward. I barely finished the first episode, not gonna continue. Hopefully Emma Stone's Poor Things is better. I have high hopes for that one.

Hey I was an extra in that. I saw Emma Stone with my own eyes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

It's pretty hilarious 

12 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Nathan Fielder is an intellectual's comedian. I say that as someone who enjoys Nathan For You (to a point). The Curse is one of those series I cannot trust critics on, because they all want to like Nathan.