Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

7 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

O/U $100M DOM doesn’t mean anything for The Marvels. The biggest concern I have is Disney will panic and drop it on Disney+ quickly which will do more harm than good. 

They've been holding off on the PVOD launches and keeping movies theater exclusive for about two months for a while (even a certified flop that was mostly ignored like Haunted Mansion had an extended run in theaters), so no reason to think this won't follow suit. If it ends up looking like it might be a real struggle to $100M total (drops depending, of course), it's easy to imagine them wanting to milk the theatrical run for all its worth to get there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

O/U $100M DOM doesn’t mean anything for The Marvels. The biggest concern I have is Disney will panic and drop it on Disney+ quickly which will do more harm than good. 

There is a possibility they drop it on D+ to be the big Christmas movie, but that would be like receiving coal in your sock.

9 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Because, quite simply, they had no faith in this movie at all. I've been saying that for a while. If they really cared, then you're right, they would've pushed it to next May in order to wait out the strikes and then do all the reshoots they needed to salvage the movie. That they decided to stick to this past weekend tells me they didn't think that expense would be worth it. For comparison, they didn't hesitate to push back Captain America 4 and order the necessary reshoots less than a week after the strikes ended. That says a lot.

They had done two rounds of reshoots already. At some point you just gotta release the thing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

How can those people justify the movie falling even harder on international market where late night shows are not even a factor?

They are going to say that there was no promotional tour to other countries (ignoring this kind of promotion is for few countries).

13 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The funny thing is, this Thread cares more bout this film than the general public. Hell, maybe even more than Disney cares.

I only see changes coming if Wish bombs, but if Wish comes out in a couple weeks and does great, Disney won't have to do anything, because people will have moved on.

So your line of thinking continues to be "no one cares about Marvel, so they'll be fine". The fact that people don't give a shit about Disney's MCU mishandling is only a positive if they still go to watch the movie. How can you keep parroting this line as some kind of positive?

• Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

So your line of thinking continues to be "no one cares about Marvel, so they'll be fine". The fact that people don't give a shit about Disney's MCU mishandling is only a positive if they still go to watch the movie. How can you keep parroting this line as some kind of positive?

My line of thinking is, this movie never had hype, even when it was announced. There has literally never been any hype for this film. Acting like this film bombing is some kind of surprise is wild.

And I never said it was a positive. I just said this movie won't change anything at Marvel or Disney.

TBH if we're going to use an equivalent, this is Marvel Studio's Strange World/Treasure Planet/The Good Dinosaur. In the long run, Marvel will be fine and Disney will be fine. People seem to forget that this is a company that makes boatloads of money every year from everything other than TV and films. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

TBH if we're going to use an equivalent, this is Marvel Studio's Strange World/Treasure Planet/The Good Dinosaur. In the long run, Marvel will be fine and Disney will be fine. People seem to forget that this is a company that makes boatloads of money every year from everything other than TV and films. 

I'm kept grounded by my friends who have a child. While we're here writing Disney's obituary, they're forced to sit through hours of Frozen, Toy Story, and Cars on Disney+ because their two-year-old is obsessed with those films.

As for the Marvel brand, they already moved Captain America, leaving Deadpool as the only 2024 release. If that's not a sign they've already made changes and knew The Marvels was DOA, I don't know what is.

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Shh you are ruining it for the people who think Disney is doooomed

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm kept grounded by my friends who have a child. While we're here writing Disney's obituary, they're forced to sit through hours of Frozen, Toy Story, and Cars on Disney+ because their two-year-old is obsessed with those films.

As for the Marvel brand, they already moved Captain America, leaving Deadpool as the only 2024 release. If that's not a sign they've already made changes and knew The Marvels was DOA, I don't know what is.

just moving films is not enough. The problem is nobody gives a shit about the majority of new characters