Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

so 45.3 million

can someone whos more up to date with ticket price inflation try to estimate what % drop in term of ticket sold that represents?

its about 3/4s where I'm from where I'm from

I saw turkey was 88% in admissions, china will see an 88% drops in gross, but dont know if they've experienced any inflation or not

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

6 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

It's one night, over two weeks before Aquaman. There's loads of obstacles for Aquaman, but this isn't a serious one.

Yeah I don't think if Aquaman bombs it's because people are saying it does not look as good as The Abyss or whatever he is implying. 

41 minutes ago, John Marston said:

just moving films is not enough. The problem is nobody gives a shit about the majority of new characters

Time for a Guardians of the Galaxy anecdote.

I hated James Gunn. I hated Super. I had no idea who the Guardians of the Galaxy were. Anywho...

I worked at Disneyland when that film held a ~20 minute IMAX 3D sneak peak at the theater in Downtown Disney. They showed a couple scenes from the film, including the extended prison break sequence. I thought it looked awful. But, because I worked at Disneyland, I was able to get into the park for free on my day's off, and they just happened to have their own sneak peek of the film in one of their 4D theaters; the one in Tomorrowland where Captain EO played. So after the IMAX preview, I went into Disneyland to compare it to the IMAX's preview.

They showed the opening 5-6 minutes of the film. It was amazing. It got me excited for the film. That film remains one of my absolute favorite MCU films.

Even though I had seen Captain America: Winter Soldier just a couple months before and was on the MCU train, I needed to see an actual full scene from Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D to get interested. Two, if you count the IMAX 3D screening that did nothing to move the needle for me.

The general public at large won't give a shit about any new MCU movie until the promotional tours start. Especially new characters, because I know I didn't give a shit about Guardians when it was first announced.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Time for a Guardians of the Galaxy anecdote.

I hated James Gunn. I hated Super. I had no idea who the Guardians of the Galaxy were. Anywho...

I worked at Disneyland when that film held a ~20 minute IMAX 3D sneak peak at the theater in Downtown Disney. They showed a couple scenes from the film, including the extended prison break sequence. I thought it looked awful. But, because I worked at Disneyland, I was able to get into the park for free on my day's off, and they just happened to have their own sneak peek of the film in one of their 4D theaters; the one in Tomorrowland where Captain EO played. So after the IMAX preview, I went into Disneyland to compare it to the IMAX's preview.

They showed the opening 5-6 minutes of the film. It was amazing. It got me excited for the film. That film remains one of my absolute favorite MCU films.

Even though I had seen Captain America: Winter Soldier just a couple months before and was on the MCU train, I needed to see an actual full scene from Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D to get interested. Two, if you count the IMAX 3D screening that did nothing to move the needle for me.

The general public at large won't give a shit about any new MCU movie until the promotional tours start. Especially new characters, because I know I didn't give a shit about Guardians when it was first announced.

GOTG made people fall in love with their characters with the first movir

People don’t give a shit about the new characters AFTER they’ve been given movies/shows. Some several 

• Like 1

James Gunn gave his characters depth and heart even with the dick and Jackson Pollock jokes. That's  the only reason I have any faith in Superman Legacy being good. Because Gunn actually gives a shit about writing good characters.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

James Gunn gave his characters depth and heart even with the dick and Jackson Pollock jokes. That's  the only reason I have any faith in Superman Legacy being good. Because Gunn actually gives a shit about writing good characters.

I really want to see Lois Lane make a dick joke after getting Superman into her bedroom. Man of Steel indeed.

Seeing someone say that the Abyss getting a one night only event is going to hurt Aquaman 2 is funny because the Abyss was a notorious bomb, which is why it's just getting one night. I think The Abyss is a good movie by the way so that's no disrespect to it but it has never been popular. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

19 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Seeing someone say that the Abyss getting a one night only event is going to hurt Aquaman 2 is funny because the Abyss was a notorious bomb, which is why it's just getting one night. I think The Abyss is a good movie by the way so that's no disrespect to it but it's never been popular. 

Abyss started with the morphing effects, while they fine tuned it for the T-1000 in Terminator 2.

I always considered Abyss an oddity in Cameron's career that gets overlooked, while T2 perfected the merging of CGI with physical effects giving us one of the most classic blockbuster action films of all time.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Seeing someone say that the Abyss getting a one night only event is going to hurt Aquaman 2 is funny because the Abyss was a notorious bomb, which is why it's just getting one night. I think The Abyss is a good movie by the way so that's no disrespect to it but it has never been popular. 

Thinking the same thing.

31 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Haha, Gavin was being sarcastic... It was a joke.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Pretty sure the aquaman bit was a joke but Abyss wasn't really a bomb. More of a mild underperformer.

Edited by JustLurking