Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Mission: Impossible 4 was the top movie for Christmas '11 ($209M total). Just a slight correction.

Good catch. Mojo kept defaulting back to calendar gross as I was clicking through, so I pulled gross of top December film. And True Grit almost caught TRON, but again you have two films in same ballpark w/o the clear top dog 

24 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Despite all the WBD clownery by announcing the Gunnverse immediately after Black Adam's OW, it could have still broken even if it had gotten a China release.

My man just had terrible luck

dwayne johnson GIF

If this is just The Rock's terrible luck, why are you showing a gif of him at [a] fault?

Sure would love to have a crystal ball right now and look into the opening weekends of Cap 4 and Thunderbolts. Perhaps the landscape for live action cape stuff recovered or became even more passé. Interesting times ahead.

(FWIW, I don't think Deadpool 3 will tell much about the state of live action superhero stuff because the movie pretty much sells itself. Even Superman: Legacy might "sell itself" if it looks impressive. The newer / lesser known characters are the question mark...)

Edited by Marathon
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, M37 said:

It’s less about Aquaman, and more about the potential of the holiday season 

The last two Christmas seasons without a true big/IP/event film were 2011 & 10, where Sherlock Holmes 2 and TRON: Legacy were the top films at $186M and $172M respectively 

If one believes Wonka is going to fill that void instead, and Aquaman 2 gets relegated closer to Bumblee status ($127M), fair enough, but I personally think they’re both $150M+ grossers, if not by default 

I'd agree with this if it was 10 years ago but we have seen time and time again if a movie isnt FOMO (fear of missing out) people are just not going to the theater. Kids and most adults just dont care about seeing a movie in theaters between YT, TikTok, Instagram, video games etc...the number of entertainment options is causing theaters to be down the food chain of entertainment options add in 70 inch TVs are $395.

Last year Holidays, the box office gross was comparable to the 90s with Avatar 2 and BPW. I just don't see that changing with Wonka or Aquaman. People just will choose not to go to the movies instead of showing up for Aquaman 2 just like they did for The Marvels