Eric Lasagna

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Marvels might beat Steel’s record as the worst second weekend drop for superhero flick. I don’t think people are appreciating the magnitude of this bomb 

I think that's because some people are still trying to protect it. The Internet believes that going to see 200M movies made by the Disney Corporation is the exact same thing as activism. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

It is bloodbath for old movies although all three main new releases can’t even cross 100m combined.

That dream scenario expansion isn’t exactly great. Should still be able to hit 10k PTA but I am no longer sure if this can do decently during wide expansion. Priscilla is still on track for 20m finish, a strong mid week grosses definitely help. 

Holdovers is basically following bottoms BO route, a meh numbers after expansion. Shouldn’t have drop week-to-week if you are doubling your theater count. 

that is it for KOTFM…..

The difference with the Holdovers though is it very shortly will be getting some awards show love. Critics circle nominations and winners are coming up in a few weeks, then Golden Globes, then Oscar noms and awards show. 

This, Pricilla and a few others will benefit greatly. They will linger through December and the holidays, having small drops/bumps that month as nominations get announced, etc. and then will likely re-expand in January/February with so few films out at that time to capitalize on the buzz. Their November openings were really meant to be just appetizers. 

KOTFM to an extent might be able to do the same if they keep it off streaming until after the Oscars.

Edited by VanillaSkies

22 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Captain Marvel was enjoyable and way better than Aquaman imo. In fact, Aquaman was genuinely bad. The fact that Aquaman 2 will do more than The Marvels speaks to my theory that it's not about the quality of the movie that made it flop

I don't want people to think this is turning into franchise wars.  Your post sounds like a conspiracy theory.  It's fine if you liked one more than the other,  that's only your opinion. It means nothing for anyone else. 

• Like 1

In an ideal world . Captain marvel 2: secret invasion . That would have made way more money.

Instead we get a shitty show that ruins good source material . And the marvels with 2 Disney + leads who the audience didn't care about.

Iman vellani is great but she is not a draw for now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Halberstram said:

If it blows up on Tiktok, the youth will want to see it, but The Marvels has lower traction there than FNAF. MCU marketing department is too accustomed to blowing up on Youtube and Twitter only. Both platforms in which they are mercilessly shamed. 

The games are popular with a younger generation.  Some superheroes like Spider-Man and probably Batman (or a villain like Joker) will transcend generations.  Spider-Man is still cool because of video games and memes and now the Spiderverse animated movies. You can see how the character is marketed towards kids and adults all the same.  

Who is Captain Marvel for?  I think that's the bigger question here.  'Wonder Woman' the first time around had what around 50% audience was women?  It was able to capture a lot of women who don't normally watch superhero movies.  

Who is Captain Marvel for?  

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

The games are popular with a younger generation.  Some superheroes like Spider-Man and probably Batman (or a villain like Joker) will transcend generations.  Spider-Man is still cool because of video games and memes and now the Spiderverse animated movies. You can see how the character is marketed towards kids and adults all the same.  

Who is Captain Marvel for?  I think that's the bigger question here.  'Wonder Woman' the first time around had what around 50% audience was women?  It was able to capture a lot of women who don't normally watch superhero movies.  

Superman ,Spider-Man and Batman are culture symbol,on par with Sherlock Holmes and Dracula,they’ll be famous after 100 years.

Other Superhero just pop culture icon,they will be very popular at short period of time but won’t live forever

PS: I think Harry Potter and James Bond are also culture symbol,they will live forever

Edited by Sophia Jane

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think that's because some people are still trying to protect it. The Internet believes that going to see 200M movies made by the Disney Corporation is the exact same thing as activism. 

I think a lot of people realize that actual activism and going to see blockbusters that have representation are not the same thing. But do you seriously not see how much harm The Marvels bombing may do to representation in big movies?

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Considering about 50% of the earth's population is women, and about 50% of the population is men, it's not really a win for a movie to win 50% women viewers. In fact, I think that any movie aiming to pander to a specific group is risking everything it has when the producers think the pandering alone is enough to even convince their main target demo to go see the movie.

"We have a female protagonist, come see our movie!!" may work in certain corners of the internet, but it certainly doesn't work on the general population.

3 minutes ago, DInky said:

I think a lot of people realize that actual activism and going to see blockbusters that have representation are not the same thing. But do you seriously not see how much harm The Marvels bombing may do to representation in big movies?

Representation does not depend on any single movie. And anyway, Marvel and Disney shoud very well know the real reasons for The Marvels bombage.

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Representation does not depend on any single movie. And anyway, Marvel and Disney shoud very well know the real reasons for The Marvels bombage.

Yes, because movie studios never take the wrong lesson from failures like these?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jean Claude Web Madam said:

Considering about 50% of the earth's population is women, and about 50% of the population is men, it's not really a win for a movie to win 50% women viewers. In fact, I think that any movie aiming to pander to a specific group is risking everything it has when the producers think the pandering alone is enough to even convince their main target demo to go see the movie.

"We have a female protagonist, come see our movie!!" may work in certain corners of the internet, but it certainly doesn't work on the general population.

Movies have been pandering to a white male audience since the beginning of cinema.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 3

Films that are seen as appealing to white males is a flawed concept imo.

Cause those films don't explicitly pander to them...as a result they get a wide audience...vs a film made to appeal explicitly to one group.

Like people say avatar 1 is white saviour yet the movie broke records in non white countries 

Edited by Torontofan

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Perfect place to set the climactic fight of a CBM. No problem of having to account for civilians being in danger. 

"He is moving the fight away from danger into a showing of The Marvels"

Ryan Reynolds wishing he wasn't joining the MCU so he could make this joke next year. 

5 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Films that are seen as appealing to white males is a flawed concept imo.

Cause those films don't explicitly pander to them...as a result they get a wide audience...vs a film made to appeal explicitly to one group

And that film is The Marvels I take it? In what way, specifically, does it "pander" to women?

The only reason we don't consider movies aimed at a male audience pandering  is that over the decades this has become the norm, it's the default setting.

Edited by DInky

9 minutes ago, DInky said:

Movies have been pandering to a white male audience since the beginning of cinema.

Maybe so, but movies that are successful tend not preoccupied with pandering to white males. They tend to focus on making a movie people will want to watch, and that's the secret ingredient.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blue35 said:

YA fell off because the hunger games books and movies were legitimately good, and then a bunch of mediocre knockoffs came and turned people off of YA.

YA movies fell off because YA book sales fell off. After all, YA became a toxic environment of one-upmanship on who is the purest of the pure.   It made the French Revolutionary government look like a lesson in understanding.   This along with YA market being dominated not by 8-18 year olds but 18-35 year old readers

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

There is no excusing The Marvels performance. Also Deadpool 3 won’t show Marvel isn’t in trouble even if it makes a billion. That just shows people love Deadpool and Jackman’s Wolverine. It means nothing for Captain Falcon and Thunderbolts, Ant man’s daughter and whoever else 

This.  Marvel Studios gets no credit for any success DP3 has and only gets blame for as much MCU content they force on the film.  DP3 is its own separate IP from not just the MCU but from mainline Fox Xmen. 

28 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

They should have Marvels open in July and just blame Barbenheimer for flopping instead 🙂

Not enough blame is going to Disney for how bad they botched the release.  Bad original date in the summer.  Then moved to a date where they would not get Imax screens and only 1 week week of Dolby/PLF.  Dune moved early enough that Disney could have easily moved the film up a week to get 2 weeks of PLF including 2 wks of Imax. 

"Avatar bad because white savior" is the sort of take that could only get traction on twitter or resetera. Not just because it is wrong but also because even if it was true no one would actually give a shit. There is a reason the films did massive literally everywhere.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • ...wtf 2