Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

Disney's weakness is going to lead to a general depression in the box office numbers because they absolutely ruled the 2010s in a way that was unseen honestly. They absolutely led the cultural zeitgeist and now with their time in the sun absolutely waning, it's going to take a bit for something else to take their place.

• Like 11

Cinemas will need to back off corporate greed of surged ticket and concession pricing. Hollywood is putting out lackluster product, and cinemas have priced so high that many are no longer willing to take a chance on many films they would have pre-pandemic. I’m not sold on many of next year’s tentpoles not coming in softer than pre-pandemic baselines, such as we’ve seen this year short of select breakouts (Mario, Barbenheimer).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

As negative as I've been, I agree with this. Studios have just run out of ideas, but there's potential out there. Sports movies - the Pitt F1 would do 120m if it dropped next Christmas. Biopics - a Michael Jackson biopic next Christmas would be an easy 200m grosser. There is thousands of brilliant, best selling books in the world across all genres to adapt. There's tons of video games and cartoons and toys and historical events, and still a few classics like Beetlejuice that haven't been sequelized. I don't know how they came up with a 2024 blockbuster slate consisting almost entirely of fourth and fifth sequels in diminishing returns franchises, Z-list spinoffs, and a handful of prequels. Just a mostly shocking slate next year, honestly.  But my hope is that we are at a nadir, not an ending.

From what I understand, they are hell bent on filming at the Vegas grand prix which they weren't able to set up got year because of the strikes. I'd expect 2025 on that movie, could definitely go for summer then

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Disney's weakness is going to lead to a general depression in the box office numbers because they absolutely ruled the 2010s in a way that was unseen honestly. They absolutely led the cultural zeitgeist and now with their time in the sun absolutely waning, it's going to take a bit for something else to take their place.

And this is the thing  with the CBM bubble bursting and so many people being happy and wanting that but then being depressed with the current BO landscape. Well you got your wish what did you think was going to happen with all those lost dollars. They carried the BO and the TG Mavericks, Avatars, Marios, and Barbenheimers don't grown on trees do they.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Any new Wednesday numbers? I sure hope Napoleon rebounded a bit because that OD IM DHD mentioned is absolutely atrocious.

The reception seems exceptionally bad too so I dunno if I’d expect much from 3day/wed.   

Kind of mind boggling that this nov will probably lose to all since 1997 unadjusted — the average ticket price is like 250% of what it was then

10 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Are they dumping Mickey 17 or.. ?

Rumor for a few weeks that it’s going to be delayed and have it’s world premiere at Cannes Film Festival.

Also, i’m not sure if it’s the type of movie that gets promoted at comic cons, seems more like a expensive highbrow scifi than an entertaining action piece like all the WB movies that will get a panel.

Surprised with B- for Saltburn, i was fully expecting a D lol 

Hoping it can do 7-10M for the 5-day 

Horrible for Napoleon, sadly it’ll probably kill it. 

Bad for Wish as well. 

Well at least i do think THG can try 40M with 7M WED, which is amazing for it and probably lock 150M DOM.

12 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Are they dumping Mickey 17 or.. ?

Mickey 17 test screened a week or two ago. Like others have speculated it'll probably get a Cannes premiere and a release in September/October (MAYBE it could be sometime in August since that month is pretty dead save for Alien and Shyamalan's new movie). Hoping Zaslav is letting Bong do his thing and won't mess the film up.

EDIT: NVM on August cause I just rechecked and August is way more packed than I remember.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

3 hours ago, Mulder said:

We have the MonsterVerse though to save theaters in April.

• Astonished 2

Great to see Disney continue to flounder. 

Re: Napoleon, I’ve actually heard a few people in Real Life talk about it, which is very rare for movies these days. Happy to eat crow if it finishes with a good total but it’s probably safe to say that isn’t happening. I want Scott to succeed as much as anyone but his storytelling instincts have been fuzzy for while. 

Edited by Hatebox

Yeah this Thanksgiving weekend is not great but at least it is better than last year. I think Wish and Napoleon had potential for a breakout but WOM and reviews probably killed any potential breakout. Hunger Games is benefitting from this and I'm glad it is because it is a fantastic movie.

Next year looks better with Venom 3, which will likely do better than The Marvels, Gladiator 2 which has potential and Wicked, which will do well. Moreover, if WDAS movie is Zootopia 2 when it should, at least, double Wish. 

Edited by AN9815

3 hours ago, Mulder said:

Like to elaborate on this 8/10 of the years in the 2010s had a Disney film at #1, and in the two years where they weren't they were still in the Top 3 highest grossers. This kind of massive brand collapse of like...everything Disney, not just one sub-brand is going to take a bit to recover from. 

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Like to elaborate on this 8/10 of the years in the 2010s had a Disney film at #1, and in the two years where they weren't they were still in the Top 3 highest grossers. This kind of massive brand collapse of like...everything Disney, not just one sub-brand is going to take a bit to recover from. 

Wild how with 10s of B on the line they simply could not manage to write decent scripts 🤣  

Not even like, great, just… not awful

• Like 2

If Wish really make 6M True Wednesday , it's at the same level as Encanto ( which is bad because this one has COVID and Disney + effect) and if he play like this it's 28M OW , 41M 5 days OW . If he play like Strange World , it's a 20M OW , 33 OW .

If this latter case happened , it could be not behind HG ( in the twice cases) but also behind Trolls 3 which is clearly the second time this year than a Disney animation movie is beaten by a other a studio animation movie . This reflects the loss of leadership in term of animation box office. Disney has clearly destroy the animation box office for them due for their desire to privilege their movie for Disney + in the first two year post Covid . Now it turns against them

It's really crazy because if we don't have surprise in December , it's the first time ever than we have two animation movies of the Annual Top 3

12 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Wild how with 10s of B on the line they simply could not manage to write decent scripts 🤣  

Not even like, great, just… not awful

This is why you need competition. When you stay on the top for too long, you get too complacent.

• Like 6