Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

Cinemascore is almost entirely a grade for a movie's ending, particularly how uplifting and happy it feels. That's why every horror movie is bad and even Inception was meh. I haven't seen the new Hunger Games but can only imagine that's why.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

What is 8s or 9s?

millions

I just grabbed Eternals's Wednesday and divided the marvel's Wednesday by it (1.5/1.9) and multiplied that by its 5-day to get 9.2 

I think there are different kinds of B+ (or of “mixed” reception for blockbusters in general). There’s a B+ that seems like the consensus is “the movie is fine, entertaining but not that fun. It’s fine”, and then there are B+ that are like “the movie is very good/fun, some parts drag it down (in this case, the ending), but still a really fun time and highly recommended”. Seems like BoSS is the latter, and so the B+ might no necessarily be a terrible sign for its WOM

(and as someone who has seen it, the latter is how I’ve been describing it to people)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

millions

I just grabbed Eternals's Wednesday and divided the marvel's Wednesday by it (1.5/1.9) and multiplied that by its 5-day to get 9.2 

Thanks for the answer.

Even with the 5-day weekend, it wouldn't be a bad fall for The Marvels from the previous weekend, right?

I don't know a lot about the box office during Thankgiving.

Edited by Kon

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks for the answer.

Even with the 5-day weekend, it wouldn't be a bad fall for The Marvels from the previous weekend, right?

I don't know about the box office in Thankgiving.

average, I think

I looked back at a bunch of predictions I made during Barbieheimer second weekend thread for rest of the year. They were pessimistic predictions and many films came under even that low bar. But I had Hunger Games at 85m domestic total, and it's gonna double that. So in the interest of intellectual honesty, I gotta admit when something is a positive surprise. 

I had Marvels and Aquaman "low" at 175m and 160m respectively and still overshot each by 100ish. It's hard to overstate just how much weaker the box office looks because the main two tentpoles failed (yeah, I'm calling it for Aquaman already). Also, the year lost 150m of Dune gross. Eras def helped theaters but doesn't really reflect the overall health of scripted films so not counting that. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Cinemascore is almost entirely a grade for a movie's ending, particularly how uplifting and happy it feels. That's why every horror movie is bad and even Inception was meh. I haven't seen the new Hunger Games but can only imagine that's why.

The ending is dark so it fits your theory.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Did that Top stop spinning or not! Dam this movie sucks! LOL

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Atrocious for Napoleon. WOM must be terrible. That is an horrendous True Wednesday.

Probably frontloaded for the same reasons Flower Moon was: the cinephile crowd rushed out to see it immediately, mainstream auds not so much. Don't think there's much to discuss at this point about how going to the movies has basically dissolved into a niche hobby, minus the occasional surprise smash here and there.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I think I called out Wish quite early in presales when projections were optimistic. I just did not see anything special about its presales.  Its presales skewed discount tuesday and also specific theaters(Disney Orlando) where Disney movies tend to over index. At this point original animation is not easy sell that you can call a breakout weeks before release. They need uber strong reviews and audience reaction to break out. Let us see how Inside Out 2 does next year. For now I am optimistic on the movie(it is my current bet to win 2024). 

Napoleon did ok for the genre. Ridley Scott has been mostly a miss in past 2 decades. There is one movie he got rave and that did great. Minus that everything has been meh. So this did as well as it can. I still hope it can make a run through holidays and finish with ok total. May be even consider release the director's cut as well at some point. 

Hunger Games 2nd weekend hold is really good considering it lost many Imax/PLF. This should play well through the holidays and finish with good domestic total at least. 

Trolls beating Wish is a surprise. Even I had Wish with the edge considering the genre and release date. But movie with better reception is going to win. 

• Like 4

The middle class of this fall's box office is fairly healthy, with as many things that overperformed compared to underperformed based on my expecations - Hunger Games, Trolls, Saw, Freddy, and more. The problem is that there is no Wakanda Forever, no Avatar. They put out two nobody asked for this stinkers to tentpole November and December. Studios are fucked for that, but I also won't draw the total conclusion that nobody wants to go to movies anymore based on it. Obviously, I think the industry is in horrible decline, to be clear, and Napoleon and KOTFM niches reflect that. But I also think that this fall is more a reflection of bad product at the top than a referendum on the concept of going to the movies.

15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I had Marvels and Aquaman "low" at 175m and 160m respectively and still overshot each by 100ish. It's hard to overstate just how much weaker the box office looks because the main two tentpoles failed (yeah, I'm calling it for Aquaman already).

The downfall of superhero box office in the span of one year is still utterly astonishing. Ant-Man 3 really killed a whole-ass genre in one foul swoop. At least when comedy movies died, it was a gradual thing nobody even noticed until it was too late.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Hunger Games 2nd weekend hold is really good considering it lost many Imax/PLF. This should play well through the holidays and finish with good domestic total at least.  

If it makes it to Christmas without losing too many screens, it could get a second wind as some films do. This suddenly became a pretty interesting one to track for totals, especially since it seems to be doing well overseas too.

• Like 5