Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Est. Renaissance $21M, TBOSS $14.5M, Godzilla -1.0 $11.03M, Trolls 3 $7.60M, Wish $7.41M, Napoleon $7.13M, Animal $6.14M, The Shift $4.36M &The Marvels $2.51M

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Honestly it has nothing to do with budget and everything to do with who made this. Takashi Yamazaki has personally been shepherding Japan's CGI industry and working to improve it since the 2000s after he was deeply dissatisfied with how his Godzilla sequence in Always Sunset 2 turned out and strove not to make his own Godzilla film (One of his dream projects) until he felt Japan's CGI was ready. It's why if you look at his filmography most of it has to do with CGI because he's very much the pioneer of the field there. I think in the hands of someone less experienced with it (Look at how rough a decent amount of Shin Godzilla's CGI looks) Minus One wouldn't look half as good as it does.

Very good point. I have watched quite a few videos about Minus Ones production and Yamazakis influences and its obvious how beneficial it is - especially for a Godzilla Movie - when the director is an expert in the visuel effects field himself.

On a side note, i was also happy to find out that GMK was one of Yamazakis biggest influences for Minus One. GMK was for a long time my favourite japanese Godzilla film, i have a very soft spot for it and GMK's Godzilla sure shines through in many scenes of Minus One's Godzilla.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Very good point. I have watched quite a few videos about Minus Ones production and Yamazakis influences and its obvious how beneficial it is - especially for a Godzilla Movie - when the director is an expert in the visuel effects field himself.

On a side note, i was also happy to find out that GMK was one of Yamazakis biggest influences for Minus One. GMK was for a long time my favourite japanese Godzilla film, i have a very soft spot for it and GMK's Godzilla sure shines through in many scenes of Minus One's Godzilla.

Yeah besides the original GMK is my favorite Godzilla movie and you really feel its influence and the love for it Yamazaki has in Minus One.

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Do I need to watch Shin Godzilla to understand Godzilla -1?

Nope, it's an entirely separate film from Shin Godzilla.

• Like 2

Saw Napoleon.  It was Okay. There is a great movie in fighting to get out but it just  can't quite get there. Really hope that 4 hour cut Ridley has talked about does happen because the problem as many have said is that it feels like a Cliff Notes version. You can feel where the deleted scenes would be.Though  The second half is much better than the first half and Ridley once again proves he is a master of large scale battle sequences.

2 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

When did this forum turn into Reddit? I came here to get away from the constant Disney discussion, but it feels like every third comment in the Weekend threads is something along the lines of "Well, Wish/The Marvels sure is doing terribly." 

There's been threads on here where movies simply 'underperformed' to expectations and the thread was 100 pages.  You're surprised at two of the biggest bombs EVER getting a lot of discussion on a box office forum? 

• Like 1

Terrible expansion for dream scenario, probably looking at 1.9m this weekend, as bad as Saltburn last weekend. Such a pity for a positively reviewed, high concept comedy. 

Terrible numbers for holdovers, PTA for sure will start to fall below 1000 and that is when a platform release start losing its showtime quickly. Still aiming for 20m but not much over it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Damn, I had no idea The Color Purple's presales were doing so well. That might be the breakout success of December!

I can’t WAIT. I absolutely love the Broadway show. 

Amazon still hasn’t shipped my copy of the original 4K. It comes out on Tuesday.

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Dont remember where I heard it from but Godzilla has a buncha somewhat major last minute rewrites and reshoots (and you won't believe who they got to help out) but it still wasn't nearly as extensive iirc

Are you referring to the 2014 movie? If so, that's news to me. Who did they get for those reshoots?

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Can someone explain how we went from Shin Godzilla's 451k OW to a $10m+ OW for Godzilla -1?

How did the Godzilla IP increase that much in 7 years?

Shin Godzilla released in 34 theaters. Godzilla-1 released in 2400 theaters 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Can someone explain how we went from Shin Godzilla's 451k OW to a $10m+ OW for Godzilla -1?

How did the Godzilla IP increase that much in 7 years?

Besides the much bigger roll out like grim said, the MV even with KoTM and GvK's relatively smaller OWs compared to G-2014's has really boosted Godzilla's image over here I feel like.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

When did this forum turn into Reddit? I came here to get away from the constant Disney discussion, but it feels like every third comment in the Weekend threads is something along the lines of "Well, Wish/The Marvels sure is doing terribly." 

Are you a Disney shareholder? 

I just enter the Aquaman thread and you was there complaining about people trashing Disney, now i enter here and you are … complaining about people trashing Disney. 

I mean sure this discussion happened A LOT this whole year but they also dropped several huge bombs, in a slow month like this i think is kinda normal that people will discuss it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Are you a Disney shareholder? 

I just enter the Aquaman thread and you was there complaining about people trashing Disney, now i enter here and you are … complaining about people trashing Disney. 

I mean sure this discussion happened A LOT this whole year but they also dropped several huge bombs, in a slow month like this i think is kinda normal that people will discuss it.

He is Bob iger. 

• Haha 7

love that funny little fella

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
someone please make a thread for it
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Shin Godzilla released in 34 theaters. Godzilla-1 released in 2400 theaters 

One of the few upsides to theaters post-COVID has been international releases getting more theater play and more attention. Something like RRR or Demon Slayer would have been lucky to get 10M in 2018. Now they get PLF play and open and gross solid numbers consistently. It’s nice.

• Like 5

Watched May December tonight. I’d give it a A-/B+. It has some solid performances with an expected plot twist you see coming. It doesn’t quick stick the landing but the final scene between Moore and Portman is great as it makes you rethink some earlier scenes. Much like with The Killer from a few weeks ago, Netflix should have kept this in theaters and promoted it widely as the film would have drawn plenty of adult moviegoers.