cannastop

WONKA WEEKEND THREAD | $39 million OW for WONKA | Timothee supremacy has arrived!

29 minutes ago, aarav said:

@charlie Jatinder

Before the pandemic, Indian films, with the exception of Bahubali Part 2, typically earned around 8 million in the US. However, in the post-pandemic era, it seems that all major Indian films are now grossing upwards of 15 million with a ceiling of around 20 million (Pathaan, Jawan, Animal, Leo and now Dunki looks to be going above 15 million, even a drivel like Rocky aur Rani earned 10 million). What could account for this change? It's not as if the number of Indian migrants has suddenly increased; in fact, migration has decreased due to the heightened difficulty in obtaining US visas. One plausible explanation could be that Indian migrants, who are predominantly employed in the software and big tech sectors, have the highest income among various immigrant groups in the US. The increased disposable income of this demographic may be contributing to the success of Indian films at the US box office. Nevertheless, it's important to note that individuals from India were already working in high-paying jobs before the pandemic. So, what has transpired during the pandemic to prompt these same individuals to spend more money on watching Indian films?

It's kind of a combination of a lot of things, but the big ones are a combo of theaters needing new product that Hollywood couldn't provide due to COVID/strike logjams, so non-English productions are given better play and availability, as well as Netflix/other streaming services making non-English media, including stuff from India, a lot more accessible to new viewers. Fairly easy these days to get the Anglosphere on board with Indian productions when you actually give them the option in the first place.

• Like 3

On 12/15/2023 at 10:07 PM, Eric Wonka said:

Matt Singer brought up this weird trend a few weeks ago. How musicals are now super coy in their advertising and don't show the characters singing. Which is just baffling to me. Some recent musicals bombed, but La La Land and Greatest Showman weren't that long ago. There's an audience for this stuff, but now you're hurting stuff like the new Mean Girls movie, which from the online trailer just looks like a cheap direct-to-video remake of the original movie with nothing else added to it.

https://screencrush.com/musical-trailers-hiding-the-music/

Post by @popcravenow
View on Threads

On 12/15/2023 at 8:37 AM, Eric Wonka said:

Matt Singer brought up this weird trend a few weeks ago. How musicals are now super coy in their advertising and don't show the characters singing. Which is just baffling to me. Some recent musicals bombed, but La La Land and Greatest Showman weren't that long ago. There's an audience for this stuff, but now you're hurting stuff like the new Mean Girls movie, which from the online trailer just looks like a cheap direct-to-video remake of the original movie with nothing else added to it.

https://screencrush.com/musical-trailers-hiding-the-music/

The first Frozen trailer actually angered people

2 hours ago, aarav said:

It's not as if the number of Indian migrants has suddenly increased;

It did. Not US but Canada. Canada market has doubled/tripled in last 5 years or so. A few years back in 2018, Sanju did $6M in US and $1.9M in Canada. Today Animal will do $7.75-8M in US and $7-7.5M in Canada. or a direct comparison, TZH did $4.5M in US and $1.4M in Canada.  Tiger 3 did $3.2M in US and $2.4M in Canada. US dropped to 70% of TZH but Canada increased to 170%.

There is also some point of inflation during 2-3 years of CoVID and likes of Jawan and Pathaan got IMAX as well, which was rare for Hindi films prior.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

Wonka was incredibly sweet, as any Paddington fan should expect. In fact there’s a song/sequence about sweet tooth that I can’t wait to watch again. Truly magical. I’m very happy I was able to watch it and very happy it’s doing well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Weak jump?

It does feel like it ought to at least cross 15M if it wants to continue marching towards 40M. From 15M I would be expecting 10-11M Sunday, hopefully putting it just over 40M.

Edited by Arlborn

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea to downplay musical elements in marketing

for some of them that aren’t expected to be that, such as Wonka.  Mean Girls may be another case. Obviously it’s stupid to downplay it for Wicked or WDAS for example.  I do think musicals have a stigma among some that goes away if people give it a chance and like the movie. 

29 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh my God is this stupid new trend because CATS didn't pretend it wasn't a musical? Is that's what they think the problem was?

I think there's levels of musicals - there's stuff like Barbie, Frozen, Encanto which despite having a few songs would not fall under what people think of as "musicals" and then there's the sung-through musicals. The first one audiences are pretty much okay with for the most part, it's the second one where there's pretty much no dialogue that general audiences have issues with.

• Like 1