cannastop

WONKA WEEKEND THREAD | $39 million OW for WONKA | Timothee supremacy has arrived!

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hey, we're neighbors! I'm seeing the same thing at Oakwood and Dania Pointe in my area along with Aventura. But this film skews pretty white (and not just Taylor Swift white) for our area. Color Purple is sold out all day on Christmas at all three of these theaters btw. Insanely impressive.

Yeah it's odd that Wonka isn't doing well in many areas here Florida.

We also have sold out screenings here for TCP on Chrsitmas Day

The reception here in UsA is not as stellar as I expected. A- cinemascore is on par with marry poppin return and dear Evan but unexpectedly lower than A for WSS, TGS and ItH. That 89% VA score on RT means A- isn’t out of nowhere. I was hoping some kind of extra leggy run but the less stellar reception sort of put my mind down.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The reception here in UsA is not as stellar as I expected. A- cinemascore is on par with marry poppin return and dear Evan but unexpectedly lower than A for WSS, TGS and ItH. That 89% VA score on RT means A- isn’t out of nowhere. I was hoping some kind of extra leggy run but the less stellar reception sort of put my mind down.

You really shouldn´t worry too much about it, unless it´s CBM or fully kids movie, A- doesn´t really mean anything when it comes to red flags.

With +40M OW, even MPR 5-DAY legs [not perfect comparrison i know but well it was a WED release] would put it at +220M DOM. And MPR wasn´t even the biggest movie of the holiday season like Wonka is. 

Both recent Jumanji´s got the same A- as well and they were some of the leggiest huge movies we saw recently, and also faced way bigger competition. 

Honestly, unless you´re expecting more of an insane run, this have a very strong shot at 250M DOM which is an extra leggy run.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

West Side Story, Dear Evan Hansen and In The Heights would’ve had hardcore fans of the stage productions inflating the cinemascore though. 

31 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I'm not really surprised that a distinctly British third adaptation of a British literary character isn't really breaking out in America. It's not like the same director's Paddington movies made all that much there either. Today's youth potentially not being familiar with Wonka as a character is another hurdle. Still, a $120M domestic total is not bad at all, especially in a genre that hasn't seen a real hit in years, and its overseas revenue should make up for any American shortcomings. I do think The Colour Purple, a movie with a story far more appealing to Americans, is going to steal its thunder and win December overall in America.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 1

27 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm not really surprised that a distinctly British third adaptation of a British literary character isn't really breaking out in America. It's not like the same director's Paddington movies made all that much there either. Today's youth potentially not being familiar with Wonka as a character is another hurdle. Still, a $120M domestic total is not bad at all, especially in a genre that hasn't seen a real hit in years, and its overseas revenue should make up for any American shortcomings. I do think The Colour Purple, a movie with a story far more appealing to Americans, is going to steal its thunder and win December overall in America.

America is fascinated with Britain, a 40m ow is far bigger than you expected and there's already plenty of data in the tracking thread to tell us Christmas is going to do well. Stop being a constant negative Nancy. 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Ok, I get that being ridiculously pessimistic is your shtick, but a 3x multiplier in december for a family-friendly musical? Really?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Only a $120m total from a $40m opening on what planet? 

A Colour Purple will be doing the opposite of Wonka, and making 80-85% of its worldwide gross from America only.